PDA

View Full Version : Toilet accidents advice please

CookieCutter
07-01-2016, 10:33 AM
3yo girl has been fully toilet trained for 4 months with no accidents. Suddenly this week has wet herself at least once a day, and seems embarrassed about it. Asking to use the toilet frequently, but still having accidents shortly after. Today has wet herself (despite being asked 5 minutes prior if she needed the toilet. I was going into the kitchen to make breakfast...but was just down the hall and she could easily come to me for help) and made a puddle on the floor which she tried to cover up with toys.

Not dealt with this before and don't want to get it wrong. I'm thinking to ask parents to take her to gp (though from past experience, will be difficult to get parents to take her as they seem to prefer to avoid doctor, which is why I am asking if this is the right thing to do before I start putting on pressure) to rule out infection, because if it's not medical, should I impose consequences? Is this right?

smurfette
07-01-2016, 12:05 PM
I would think it sounds like kidney infection as she is going and then having an accident ? Though it is common for them to go backwards sometimes , my own dd went through a phase of not bothering which was extremely frustrating! If she is trying to cover it up perhaps she can't help it? Could it be the change back to yours after holidays ? Mine are all out of sorts this week!

AliceK
07-01-2016, 12:32 PM
I agree it could be a medical thing here. Yes some children do go backwards after the novelty of being potty trained wears off but the fact that she seems embarrassed about it and is trying to hide it suggests that is probably not the case here. The parents def need to take her to Dr's to have a quick sample tested. I wouldn't be giving consequences for it as it really does seem like she can't help it right now :(

xx

CookieCutter
07-01-2016, 01:35 PM
Thanks for replies. When I say consequences, I mean things like telling her that big girls use the toilet or saying she can't sit on the sofa if she keeps wetting herself. Nothing too big, but just little things to correct the behaviour. I've been reluctant to even say anything about it to her because she seems to already feel bad about herself for it, which is why I thought she might not be in control. Now I have to convince parents to take her to doctor...

If it turns out there is no medical issue, any suggestions on how to nip this in the bud quickly? I'm really not fond of having wee all over my house.

moggy
08-01-2016, 01:33 PM
Thanks for replies. When I say consequences, I mean things like telling her that big girls use the toilet or saying she can't sit on the sofa if she keeps wetting herself. Nothing too big, but just little things to correct the behaviour. I've been reluctant to even say anything about it to her because she seems to already feel bad about herself for it, which is why I thought she might not be in control. Now I have to convince parents to take her to doctor...

If it turns out there is no medical issue, any suggestions on how to nip this in the bud quickly? I'm really not fond of having wee all over my house.

If she is doing this at home too then I should hope parents want to sort it out as much as you- I would stress the medical need, say it could be kidneys, bladder infection etc and needs to be seen ASAP.