PDA

View Full Version : Is it unreasonable to ask parents to let u know when running late if being paid?!

smurfette
06-01-2016, 08:56 AM
So.. Here I am first day back at school and me back at Minding and no one has arrived yet! Great in one way to have an easy start but I have asked the parent who is due at 8 to let me know if he is going to be after 830, so that I can do the school run if necessary. Now and again he remembers, and most days it doesn't matter because dh can take them, but my middle Child is very anxious at the moment and left for school in a state as first day back this am, I know she had dad with her but I could have taken them If I had known that They wouldn't be here! I am paid from 8 so Can't complain really I suppose. Also had to chase payment last night as suddenly realised it hadn't been paid into bank on Friday as supposed to. These parents are lovely and mindee is settled, but I have. Just re arranged my regular day off to accommodate them against what I really want and a bit of consideration back would be nice !! Probably being unreasonable but just in bad form going back to real world today !!

AliceK
06-01-2016, 09:25 AM
I make it clear to parents that if they are late in dropping off, especially in the mornings I may not be at home and they will either have to wait for me outside or come and find me. I have on many occasions gone off to do the school run without a child who should have already arrived. Just because they pay you from 8am doesn't mean you should wait in for them if they are late.

xx

Mouse
06-01-2016, 09:48 AM
I agree with AliceK. Don't change your plans because a child arrives late. Leave it up to parents to come and find you or wait until you're back from the school run.

When I did school drop offs I explained to parents that I left the house at 8.30am. If they weren't there by then I would go without them. Parents of school children would either have to come and find us on the way or meet us at school. Parents of EYs children either did the same, waited for me to get back home, or found me at toddler group if I went straight from school. At the start some of them don't think you're serious about leaving without them, but you only have to do it a couple of times for them to realise you mean it!

Tell your parent you have to leave at 8.30 am and stick to it. I bet you don't have to do it more than a couple of times before he gets the message :thumbsup:

BallyH
06-01-2016, 09:53 AM
I do the same as Mouse and AliceK. A rushed parent won't want to be standing at your front door waiting for you to return. Explain on the next drop off that you leave promptly at 8.30 and they have to be here by then or wait. Best of luck.

bunyip
06-01-2016, 06:52 PM
I do the same thing here at Bunyip Towers.

Extract from my policy:

• If a parent arrives late to drop off, I may have other children to take to school or pre-school and will not be able to wait. When arriving late, a parent must be prepared to telephone me on my cellphone. They may be required to drop off at an alternative time and place so as to minimise the disruption to other children in my care.

natlou82
06-01-2016, 09:46 PM
I do the same as the others. I have left before and the parent had to meet me at the school.

Maza
06-01-2016, 10:55 PM
I did the same as the others. Hope your own little one was ok - it's horrible when they are anxious about going to school and it must have been so annoying for you not to be able to go with him/her. It's amazing how organised parents can become once they have no choice. It's a perfectly reasonable thing to ask of them. x

smurfette
07-01-2016, 12:12 PM
Thanks all.. The problem is (which I didn't explain very well in my rant sorry!) that for school run I have to leave at 755, and back home at 8. Parent pays a daily rate from 8. Today rocked up at 9 again no text. Yest he said 'oh I had to wake him at 8' so he knew he clearly wasn't gonna be here in time lol! I always have stuff to do around the house but it would mean I could either do school run or know I can have a shower in peace once they are gone , instead of fighting over bathroom! Yes I want my cake and eat it lol. Am just wondering about turning it on its head and saying I am not currently opening Til 830 unless by prior arrangement (a Lo on shift sometimes comes at 8, but pays by hour) and reducing daily rate a small bit, and then they can arrange and pay extra if thy need 8? Dad works from home and lives near so I guess he doesn't need to be at home again Til 9ish, every morning also he sits and chats for 20 mins!

Maza
07-01-2016, 01:02 PM
Thanks all.. The problem is (which I didn't explain very well in my rant sorry!) that for school run I have to leave at 755, and back home at 8. Parent pays a daily rate from 8. Today rocked up at 9 again no text. Yest he said 'oh I had to wake him at 8' so he knew he clearly wasn't gonna be here in time lol! I always have stuff to do around the house but it would mean I could either do school run or know I can have a shower in peace once they are gone , instead of fighting over bathroom! Yes I want my cake and eat it lol. Am just wondering about turning it on its head and saying I am not currently opening Til 830 unless by prior arrangement (a Lo on shift sometimes comes at 8, but pays by hour) and reducing daily rate a small bit, and then they can arrange and pay extra if thy need 8? Dad works from home and lives near so I guess he doesn't need to be at home again Til 9ish, every morning also he sits and chats for 20 mins!

Starting at 8.30 sounds like a good idea then, although you would have to obviously alter the fees to reflect that. It is so lovely being able to do the school run (especially when your little one is going through an anxious phase) without the worry of mindees arriving at difficult times.

smurfette
07-01-2016, 04:29 PM
Starting at 8.30 sounds like a good idea then, although you would have to obviously alter the fees to reflect that. It is so lovely being able to do the school run (especially when your little one is going through an anxious phase) without the worry of mindees arriving at difficult times.

Yes that's what i am thinking. My dd had a good day yest thanks but today was rougher

bunyip
07-01-2016, 06:11 PM

Just take the shower.

IME, I find that answering the door naked* is the perfect way to deter unscheduled arrivals for life. :D

*Not sure if this is a gender-specific policy though. :huh:

smurfette
09-01-2016, 04:34 PM
Just take the shower. IME, I find that answering the door naked* is the perfect way to deter unscheduled arrivals for life. :D *Not sure if this is a gender-specific policy though. :huh:

😂😂😂 good idea ESP as its dad who drops off ☺️😋

smurfette
09-01-2016, 04:35 PM
Edited to say back home 830 !!
Thanks all.. The problem is (which I didn't explain very well in my rant sorry!) that for school run I have to leave at 755, and back home at 830. Parent pays a daily rate from 8. Today rocked up at 9 again no text. Yest he said 'oh I had to wake him at 8' so he knew he clearly wasn't gonna be here in time lol! I always have stuff to do around the house but it would mean I could either do school run or know I can have a shower in peace once they are gone , instead of fighting over bathroom! Yes I want my cake and eat it lol. Am just wondering about turning it on its head and saying I am not currently opening Til 830 unless by prior arrangement (a Lo on shift sometimes comes at 8, but pays by hour) and reducing daily rate a small bit, and then they can arrange and pay extra if thy need 8? Dad works from home and lives near so I guess he doesn't need to be at home again Til 9ish, every morning also he sits and chats for 20 mins!