PDA

View Full Version : Breakages

mumofone
05-01-2016, 08:42 PM
Do you guys have a policy or what do you do in instances where a mindees things get damaged or broken (minor things)?

Pixie dust
05-01-2016, 09:13 PM
Do you mean toys that they have brought in or something else ?

I don't have a written policy but all parents are told that I am not responsible for any toys etc that are brought to my house. To be honest the children do not really bring toys sometimes they might bring in a cuddly toy but that is about it. They soon dump them anyway to play with my toys so I then normally put the item out by the coats ready for home time.

bunyip
05-01-2016, 09:35 PM
Just to be clear, are you asking about:

a mindee damaging their own belongings?
a mindee damaging another mindee's belongings?
a mindee damaging your belongings?
a mindee damaging a third party's belongings?
a CM damaging a mindee's belongings?

:confused:

mumofone
05-01-2016, 09:53 PM
Just to be clear, are you asking about: a mindee damaging their own belongings? a mindee damaging another mindee's belongings? a mindee damaging your belongings? a mindee damaging a third party's belongings? a CM damaging a mindee's belongings? :confused:

Sorry all of these but in this particular instance my toddler broke my mindees hairband (accident not malicious!) should I deduct a fiver off their next invoice, give them a £5 gift voucher or other?

natlou82
05-01-2016, 10:06 PM
I wouldn't confuse your issue with business payments. I would personally treat it like I would if my child broke a friend's headband, and in that case I would buy a new one or offer money to replace it. If it was the other way round I would accept the broken toy/other as a risk of the job as I always tell my children everything that enters the playroom is allowed to be played with by mindees therefor it may not be treated the way they treat it (I encourage them to keep best toys in their rooms). Damage to my home I would also accept as a risk of the job as I risk assess accordingly and have rules in place. We are also covered on expenses and insurance if necessary. If a gesture was offered by the parents I would appreciate it though :-)

bunyip
05-01-2016, 10:11 PM
Sorry all of these but in this particular instance my toddler broke my mindees hairband (accident not malicious!) should I deduct a fiver off their next invoice, give them a £5 gift voucher or other?

From a legal point of view, you're liable for the damage.

Realistically, parents will often accept the reality of children being around children (in short, "sh1t happens") and not be too bothered. Personally, I'd offer to replace/reimburse, and I think most/all my clients would refuse to accept the offer. If you do end up paying, remember it is a business expense so it can go through your accounts.

The broad picture is that we are pretty much responsible for anything done by any child in our care, whether family or mindee, accidental or deliberate. So if a darling mindee trashes your house you can't really claim on the parents.

Generally the best way to manage this is to limit your potential losses by restricting the sort of things they might bring to your house. So the diamond-encrusted, platinum-plated, limited edition i-pod they got for Crimbo stays at their house or goes straight off to work with mum once they've shown it to you.

I also put a note in my policies and permissions that parents must expect their children to get covered in mud, paint, cow muck and generally shredded in the bramble bushes, etc. - because I expect the most frequent problem CMs have is with children turning up in entirely inappropriate clothing for a rough-and-tumble day on Planet Childcare. ;)

k1rstie
05-01-2016, 10:34 PM
Alice bands are notoriously easy to break, especially the really thin ones. I would always suggest that the girls take then off and put them in their bags, or verbally remind them that they break easily and to keep them away from the baby.
As a mum of 2 girls with long hair, who wear Alice bands occasionally, I would just shrug my shoulders and not worry about a broken hair and if I was told one had broken.

I have a rule of hair tried back for long hair, and have a box of new hair bands/elastics' what are easily accessible when one of theirs breaks, gets lost or arrives in the holidays with their hair down.

primrosecottage
06-01-2016, 06:15 AM
I too have had thing broken by a serial breaker mindee!

BallyH
06-01-2016, 09:49 AM
I've never had to replace broken or lost toys, yet. Initially parents are informed about leaving toys at home as their child has to be prepared to share the toy with the other mindees and I can't promise the toys safe return etc. I have found with a few families over the years that they are happy for me to be 'bad cop' at the door and take the toy away from the child and hand it back to the parent saying somehing like 'oh that's lovely but xxxx will chew it/break it etc'. In this instance just apologise and offer to replace. Hopefully they'll say no and will learn from it.

Simona
06-01-2016, 10:31 AM
Just to be clear, are you asking about:

a mindee damaging their own belongings?
a mindee damaging another mindee's belongings?
a mindee damaging your belongings?
a mindee damaging a third party's belongings?
a CM damaging a mindee's belongings?

:confused:

I would say all these are covered under 'wear and tear' and all eventualities!

I have to admit my toys and children's own toys were always used in my settings...mine went to their house ....theirs were very welcome in my setting to share and show to others

Never had a problem...I assume parents do understand that toys are likely to break and get broken by children during play!.
Another thing that comes to mind is 'depreciation'...that is part of the annual Tax Return ...is it not?

bunyip
06-01-2016, 06:30 PM
Another idea, depending on the age of the child, is to obtain a few cheap Alice bands, ribbon, fabric flowers, suitable glue, etc. and decorate them as a craft activity. All tax-deductible, of course. Child takes theirs home; mum can't refuse the 'beautiful craft item' their lo has lovingly made (no matter how horrific it looks :D ).

Job's a good 'un! :thumbsup: