PDA

View Full Version : Babys nails

mumofone
05-01-2016, 11:16 AM
Are we allowed to cut our mindees Babys nails ourselves? I look after a baby who scratches me badly and would like her parents to cut their nails but don't think parents were keen to do it.

redtiger21
05-01-2016, 12:08 PM
Hmm, good question- have you actually specifically asked them to do it, and they've specifically said no? If it's all a bit vague I'd just say clearly, "Would you mind please cutting X's nails as I'm getting a bit scratched? If you'd rather not I'm happy to do it"?

JCrakers
05-01-2016, 12:50 PM
I wouldn't do them as I feel that's something that parents need to do. I feel that if I started doing things out of 'what I need to be doing' I'm just giving signals that if they can't be bothered then I'll be there to do it.

I would ask them to do it again :D

halor
05-01-2016, 10:06 PM
I refuse to do mindees lol, I cut my daughter once when she was a baby, it was horrible. I'm too scared to do someone else's children!

watford wizz
05-01-2016, 10:14 PM
Cutting a small child's nails can be very frightening especially for 1st timers, I as a new mum, 30 years ago, was advised to bite them rather than risk scissors, I wouldn't be attempting either on a minded child. Perhaps you could refer parents to advice from there health visitor/practice nurse.

halor
05-01-2016, 10:16 PM
Maybe you could lightly file them, it may be enough to just soften the sharp bits.

k1rstie
05-01-2016, 10:23 PM
Strangle off thread.....
I always worry about scratching the children myself. On a very cold day, I have on occasion broken a nail, probably on the seatbelt when strapping the children into their seats.
I always keep a nail file in my glovebox in case I get a broken nail while out.

smurfette
06-01-2016, 08:59 AM
Strangle off thread..... I always worry about scratching the children myself. On a very cold day, I have on occasion broken a nail, probably on the seatbelt when strapping the children into their seats. I always keep a nail file in my glovebox in case I get a broken nail while out.

Yep that's me too, and I did once scratch a baby when changing him (his leg ) and didn't realise I had left a mark. Parents queried it and I said I am so sorry that was me! Don't have much time for manicures! Try and catch it when broken first now but really we are always breaking them aren't we😱😂, can't have nice nails with this job !

BallyH
06-01-2016, 09:56 AM
I personally wouldn't do it. Occassionally when my boys were younger I have cut a nail a little too short, when they've wriggled or something and it can be painful. Imagine what the parents would say if that happened. Just keep reminding them.

Simona
06-01-2016, 10:47 AM
There is an additional aspect to be considered when deciding about this issue.

I would assume any new parent would want to cut their baby's nails themselves as and when they feel it is necessary.

Apart from sharp nails hurting and scratching us and other children in our care ...what about babies scratching themselves?

so it would be appropriate if we discover a very sharp nail to ask parents if we can cut them in an emergency...the last thing we want is return a baby to a parent at pick up time covered in red marks

'safeguarding' bells ringing here under 'well being' maybe and physical care?