PDA

View Full Version : Giving notice

redtiger21
04-01-2016, 10:33 PM
For a number of reasons, I'm looking at applying for a new job (not sure what yet, but there are a couple that have caught my eye locally). I have an extremely good relationship with all of my lovely parents, and honestly the thought of springing 4 weeks' notice on them just seems cruel, as their children have become part of my family now. I'm also concerned, what with living in a smallish town and only being able to apply for local jobs for transport reasons, that someone would know someone who would know that I'm the childminder of so-and-so's children, and I'm applying for a job where so-and-so works!! In other words, I'm scared it would get back to one of the parents if I went for an interview and someone recognised me! And I'd hate for them to find out via small town rumours- so in my circumstances, do you think it'd be a better idea to tell the parents that I'm considering looking for a new venture and that I wanted to be honest and upfront with the rather than just give them a surprise 4 weeks notice? I accept that some may panic and start looking for childcare before I've got a job- but I'm not sure that all of them would, especially those whose children have genuinely been settled here for a very long time and are attached to me, and particularly considering I'm only telling them that I'm considering looking, rather than actively searching? What do you think? I really can't decide what to do for the best!

mumofone
05-01-2016, 08:34 AM
For a number of reasons, I'm looking at applying for a new job (not sure what yet, but there are a couple that have caught my eye locally). I have an extremely good relationship with all of my lovely parents, and honestly the thought of springing 4 weeks' notice on them just seems cruel, as their children have become part of my family now. I'm also concerned, what with living in a smallish town and only being able to apply for local jobs for transport reasons, that someone would know someone who would know that I'm the childminder of so-and-so's children, and I'm applying for a job where so-and-so works!! In other words, I'm scared it would get back to one of the parents if I went for an interview and someone recognised me! And I'd hate for them to find out via small town rumours- so in my circumstances, do you think it'd be a better idea to tell the parents that I'm considering looking for a new venture and that I wanted to be honest and upfront with the rather than just give them a surprise 4 weeks notice? I accept that some may panic and start looking for childcare before I've got a job- but I'm not sure that all of them would, especially those whose children have genuinely been settled here for a very long time and are attached to me, and particularly considering I'm only telling them that I'm considering looking, rather than actively searching? What do you think? I really can't decide what to do for the best!

I can't advise but just wondered why you feel you want to stop childminding? Have you been doing it long? Are you sure it's definitely what you want to do? X

loocyloo
05-01-2016, 09:02 AM
I would tell your parents you are thinking about you and your families future and therefore you may go for interviews for jobs, but you are still committed to childminding. Tell them they are important to you and you will keep them informed as you go along. I would phone them (so you can have a 'prompt/script' to read from and to help you not to make false promises) so that when you next see them, they already know. It's hard to have that type of conversation with children running around, and a letter/email could be misunderstood. You might want to give them a letter confirming what you told them, after you spoke to them.

You may get some families who panic and leave instantly, others who stay till the last minute.

When I was moving away and selling the house, I told all my parents as they would see the sign/small village everyone would know. I said I would keep them informed and give as much notice as possible. One family left at once, but the rest stayed pretty much until the end!

Good luck and best wishes.

lollipop kid
05-01-2016, 11:00 AM
Just a word of caution: I know a childminder who decided to go off travelling. She gave all of her parents 3 months notice. (All of the children were settled and happy; some had been with her a long time, or were siblings.) One week later, all of the children had found new places (starting the next month), which left her with no income for the last 2 months.

Sometimes, you have to put yourself and your family first so you may want to consider not saying anything until you have a definite start date in a new role.

I hope it helps,

LK

redtiger21
05-01-2016, 11:29 AM
I can't advise but just wondered why you feel you want to stop childminding? Have you been doing it long? Are you sure it's definitely what you want to do? X

Hi, I've been minding for just over 2 years now, and although I genuinely love the children themselves and I have an excellent relationship with their parents, who are all really lovely, decent people, I haven't been happy for well over a year now- I've made the odd change like cutting down to 2 early years during the day rather than 3, increasing the amount of holiday I take each year (unpaid), stopping taking early years on a Friday so I have some hours to myself between 9&3, changing to only charging half fee for child sickness so that they have an incentive to keep them at home when they're unwell, stopping doing the 3&4 year funding, basically lots of small things over the last year and a half to try making my life easier (I hasten to add, that sounds like I'm a nightmare childminder, but I can assure everyone that I'm extremely flexible with hours, am happy to do favours for people, and I work extremely hard to provide a high standard of care). But I'm still unhappy, and it's because I need to go back to being employed, being part of a team of adults, and not working where I live. It's just been too much for me. I think childminders are saints! Genuinely!!

redtiger21
05-01-2016, 11:32 AM
Just a word of caution: I know a childminder who decided to go off travelling. She gave all of her parents 3 months notice. (All of the children were settled and happy; some had been with her a long time, or were siblings.) One week later, all of the children had found new places (starting the next month), which left her with no income for the last 2 months.

Sometimes, you have to put yourself and your family first so you may want to consider not saying anything until you have a definite start date in a new role.

I hope it helps,

LK

Thank you, yes that is a concern, and we wouldn't cope well financially if I literally had no income. I'm really umming and ahhing!!

redtiger21
05-01-2016, 11:35 AM
I would tell your parents you are thinking about you and your families future and therefore you may go for interviews for jobs, but you are still committed to childminding. Tell them they are important to you and you will keep them informed as you go along. I would phone them (so you can have a 'prompt/script' to read from and to help you not to make false promises) so that when you next see them, they already know. It's hard to have that type of conversation with children running around, and a letter/email could be misunderstood. You might want to give them a letter confirming what you told them, after you spoke to them.

You may get some families who panic and leave instantly, others who stay till the last minute.

When I was moving away and selling the house, I told all my parents as they would see the sign/small village everyone would know. I said I would keep them informed and give as much notice as possible. One family left at once, but the rest stayed pretty much until the end!

Good luck and best wishes.

Thanks Loocyloo, I'm actually really bad on the phone and much more confident face to face, so I may just have to have a quiet moment while the kids are playing. One of my concerns is also, if I do decide to tell them, telling them all before one parent tells another- which I suppose is why a phonecall is better :/

loocyloo
05-01-2016, 12:09 PM
Thanks Loocyloo, I'm actually really bad on the phone and much more confident face to face, so I may just have to have a quiet moment while the kids are playing. One of my concerns is also, if I do decide to tell them, telling them all before one parent tells another- which I suppose is why a phonecall is better :/

Good luck. I hate being on the phone, but thought that with a 'script' I would stay on track, and like you say, managed to tell everyone before anyone else could.

redtiger21
08-01-2016, 08:56 PM
Well just an update, I have been asked in for an interview! So over the next week I am making it my job to tell the parents the situation...I'm very nervous, but I feel like it's the right thing to do :)

smurfette
11-01-2016, 05:27 PM
Well just an update, I have been asked in for an interview! So over the next week I am making it my job to tell the parents the situation...I'm very nervous, but I feel like it's the right thing to do :) m
Best of luck glad you have a good feeling about it !

redtiger21
13-01-2016, 05:59 PM
Thank you, am very nervous!!
Slightly off-topic but was planning to take to the interview written feedback I've received from parents over the years, such as parent questionnaires, thank you cards with nice big paragraphs in them about how I've helped their kids etc- do I need to blank out children's names, even if it's just got their first names in it? Totally happy about doing it for the questionnaire forms if necessary, but it'd ruin the thank you cards so am wondering if I shouldn't use them in that case??