PDA

View Full Version : Hoping to beome a Childmimder

CLou82
02-01-2016, 11:08 PM
Hello, I've just found these forums. I've recently thought about becoming a childminder, I have 2 young children and have decided I don't want to continue my daily, very long commute and I've lost interest in what i'm currently doing. I'm often told i'm good with children and i'd love to do something that can fit around my family life.
Anyway reading this forum and having a look at Pacey I was thinking of doing the Home based childcare course (online with pacey) and the food safety course. I've recently done the online briefing too.
I'd also need a dbs check (and my husband too?) and a paediatric first aid training course. Is there anything else I would need?
I'm also wondering about space requirements, how do I work this out? I plan to only use the downstairs but our house is fairly small.

Rick
03-01-2016, 09:05 PM
Hi and welcome :waving:

Some good info here on space requirements Space Requirements (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/space-requirements-eyfs.html)

And here about starting childminding http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/starting-childminding-pre-registration-visits/117176-registering-childminder-updated-06-2014-a.html

CLou82
03-01-2016, 10:20 PM
Thank you for the links Rick.

I'm a bit worried about my lack of space. My only useable room, my lounge/diner is quite large 17ft x 14.5 ft but aside from furnished areas I have 6m(2) free space. (other downstairs spaces won't count - hall, kitchen and toilet). I also have my own children to factor in (5 and 3yrs).

moggy
04-01-2016, 08:52 AM
You have listed the main things- but there will be a safeguarding course too, your LA will need to advise on which one as it needs to cover your local reporting proceedures. You will need to look into PLI insurance and ICO.org.uk (data protection)- but that is for later on in the process. Yes, your husband will need a DBS and any over-16s in the household. You will need a health declaration from your GP- this is part of the ofsted application.

Simona
04-01-2016, 09:51 AM
Hello, I've just found these forums. I've recently thought about becoming a childminder, I have 2 young children and have decided I don't want to continue my daily, very long commute and I've lost interest in what i'm currently doing. I'm often told i'm good with children and i'd love to do something that can fit around my family life.
Anyway reading this forum and having a look at Pacey I was thinking of doing the Home based childcare course (online with pacey) and the food safety course. I've recently done the online briefing too.
I'd also need a dbs check (and my husband too?) and a paediatric first aid training course. Is there anything else I would need?
I'm also wondering about space requirements, how do I work this out? I plan to only use the downstairs but our house is fairly small.

Your LA is under obligation to provide you with a pre registration briefings meeting.
There they will tell you what they offer in terms of support and where to get support if they do not offer it....if they offer training it will probably be at a charge so check against other well known providers.
Also look at doing a Business training session...very useful to run your self employment and much more

They may also tell you that cms have a choice of registering with Ofsted or an agency...if one exists that covers your area...but you have a choice as agencies are not compulsory.

More important than anything they should also inform you you are able to get a 'grant' to start your business
Look at this and make sure you claim if you decide to register.
Childcare Business Grants Scheme - Home page (http://www.childcarebusinessgrants.dcms.gov.uk/)

Also worth looking at this which came into effect Jan 1st 2016
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/childcare-measures-small-business-enterprise-employment-act

With regards to space ...yes there are guidelines but do check with the LA as these are being reviewed due to the 'expansion' policy endorsed by the DfE for the 30 hours

Good luck!

moggy
04-01-2016, 10:28 AM
Your LA is under obligation to provide you with a pre registration briefings meeting....

Sadly, Simona, in some LAs I understand these 'pre-reg briefing meetings' have now been reduced to a powerpoint presentation online or emailed out to those wanting to be childminders. No face-to-face at all.

I wonder if that is what CLou82 means by the 'online briefing'?

CLou82- do you feel your LA has briefed you well? It is certainly the case that they should be doing so and that if you feel you are not 100% clear on what to do next, and all the needed steps to get registered, that you can and should call, call and call again to the LA! (as well as asking here, of course, but so much is specific to your LA that they are really the best source of some info).

Simona
04-01-2016, 08:00 PM
Sadly, Simona, in some LAs I understand these 'pre-reg briefing meetings' have now been reduced to a powerpoint presentation online or emailed out to those wanting to be childminders. No face-to-face at all.

I wonder if that is what CLou82 means by the 'online briefing'?

CLou82- do you feel your LA has briefed you well? It is certainly the case that they should be doing so and that if you feel you are not 100% clear on what to do next, and all the needed steps to get registered, that you can and should call, call and call again to the LA! (as well as asking here, of course, but so much is specific to your LA that they are really the best source of some info).

Thanks for your reply...this is very concerning if some LAs are taking pre registration so lightly while others seem to be publishing the January dates for their briefings sessions.

I have made a note of this as I have a couple of meetings coming up....worth getting someone to look at this issue.
What is rather ironic is how well cms have been doing and raising their game...without much LA's support...still I am not sure LAs should get away without giving cms support at the very start.