PDA

View Full Version : Safeguarding questions - and answers - Ofsted

sarah707
02-01-2016, 11:31 AM
This blog was inspired by a recent question on the Independent Childminders Facebook page - a member wanted to know about recent Ofsted safeguarding questions during inspection -

Safeguarding questions from recent Ofsted inspections - Independent Childminders (http://independentchildminders.weebly.com/blog/safeguarding-questions-from-recent-ofsted-inspections)

I hope you find it helpful :D

Note - information and links checked and up-to-date 01.2016

BallyH
02-01-2016, 01:44 PM
Thank you Sarah. i have everything in place so it's good to know I'm on the right path.

mumofone
02-01-2016, 02:41 PM
This blog was inspired by a recent question on the Independent Childminders Facebook page - a member wanted to know about recent Ofsted safeguarding questions during inspection - Safeguarding questions from recent Ofsted inspections - Independent Childminders (http://independentchildminders.weebly.com/blog/safeguarding-questions-from-recent-ofsted-inspections) I hope you find it helpful :D Note - information and links checked and up-to-date 01.2016

Thank you sarah. I have a safeguarding file which would be my first port of call if I had any concerns about abuse etc but can I refer to this and tell the inspector this on the day of inspection or do I have to be able to recall everything in my policy etc without looking? Thank you :-)

loocyloo
02-01-2016, 04:27 PM
Thanks Sarah -

like MOH it was useful to check I have everything in place :D

have printed it as a 'crib' sheet, along with contact details/relevant local information as my mind goes blank when asked these sorts of things!

sarah707
02-01-2016, 06:12 PM
Thank you sarah. I have a safeguarding file which would be my first port of call if I had any concerns about abuse etc but can I refer to this and tell the inspector this on the day of inspection or do I have to be able to recall everything in my policy etc without looking? Thank you :-)

Most inspectors will let you refer to your paperwork - but some say as it's safeguarding you should know it... no telling which inspector you will get... :D

bunyip
02-01-2016, 07:03 PM
Another excellent blog article there Sarah. :thumbsup:

This equates very closely with my most recent inspection of November 2015. My inspector did not ask all these questions, but did seem to be checking that much of Sarah's list was covered by my policy.

She also checked that my assistant (Mrs Bunyip) could answer a few safeguarding questions of a practical nature. ie. What might raise her suspicions? What would she do if concerned? Whistleblowing?

My inspector commented that one big plus was that I had drawn up my own in-house training notes for an assistant, as well as having all safeguarding material in a dedicated folder which both I and Mrs B can refer to at any time. :thumbsup:

mumofone
02-01-2016, 07:06 PM
Another excellent blog article there Sarah. :thumbsup: This equates very closely with my most recent inspection of November 2015. My inspector did not ask all these questions, but did seem to be checking that much of Sarah's list was covered by my policy. She also checked that my assistant (Mrs Bunyip) could answer a few safeguarding questions of a practical nature. ie. What might raise her suspicions? What would she do if concerned? Whistleblowing? My inspector commented that one big plus was that I had drawn up my own in-house training notes for an assistant, as well as having all safeguarding material in a dedicated folder which both I and Mrs B can refer to at any time. :thumbsup:

Hey bunyip, did we know you'd been inspected that recently? Dyou have any feedback from it? Sorry if i missed it :-)

mumofone
02-01-2016, 07:07 PM
Most inspectors will let you refer to your paperwork - but some say as it's safeguarding you should know it... no telling which inspector you will get... :D

Good point! Thanks Sarah! Best get studying..! ;-)

bunyip
02-01-2016, 08:47 PM
Hey bunyip, did we know you'd been inspected that recently? Dyou have any feedback from it? Sorry if i missed it :-)

I posted at the time.

What do you want to know? "Feedback" is such a broad term (................... but then I'm a very broad childminder............. it must be all the ale and pork scratchings.) ;)

mumofone
02-01-2016, 09:59 PM
I posted at the time. What do you want to know? "Feedback" is such a broad term (................... but then I'm a very broad childminder............. it must be all the ale and pork scratchings.) ;)

Oh sorry, I can't find it.

The usual- how it went, what they focused on, did you have to do a joint observation, what did they want to see, how did it go, any tips etc...

mumofone
02-01-2016, 10:00 PM
You can tell me to mind my own business if you'd like!! ;-)

k1rstie
02-01-2016, 11:16 PM
As well as the phone numbers for my local authority, I have also printed off the details from a neighbouring authority, as one of my children lives in the next borough.

When I had my last inspection, I discussed if the the inspector often saw cut and pasted safeguarding details. She replied that she saw that many childminders ( no matter where they lived) would contact Bromley Social Services. This was in the days when the Bromley Childminding Association was the go to place for information and policies.
I think this example is still valid, if childminders cut and paste from Facebook forums etc.

alex__17
03-01-2016, 08:06 AM
Thank you so much for this, I'm probably the only one but I've not managed to update my policies to include prevent etc yet, it's on a long list of things to do, your blog is printed and it's so helpful to have it all in one place now I can work through it and tick things off as they're done and not worry I'm missing something.
Thanks again

miffy
03-01-2016, 08:28 AM
Thanks Sarah - very useful!

Going to print off and double check I've everything in place.

Miffy xx

Simona
03-01-2016, 09:10 AM
Another excellent blog article there Sarah. :thumbsup:

This equates very closely with my most recent inspection of November 2015. My inspector did not ask all these questions, but did seem to be checking that much of Sarah's list was covered by my policy.

She also checked that my assistant (Mrs Bunyip) could answer a few safeguarding questions of a practical nature. ie. What might raise her suspicions? What would she do if concerned? Whistleblowing?

My inspector commented that one big plus was that I had drawn up my own in-house training notes for an assistant, as well as having all safeguarding material in a dedicated folder which both I and Mrs B can refer to at any time. :thumbsup:

How funny Bunyip...recently I spoke to a cm who was inspected at roughly the same time as you.
Her inspector asked many many questions...by her description she was 'grilled'...the cm was not surprised as that is how it should be.

I suppose it will depend on the inspector on the day?
The CIF has put a different focus on Safeguarding...also Safeguarding and Child Protection as you know go hand in hand ...the latter requiring different action from the former as it falls under its umbrella....both very important.

Maza
03-01-2016, 10:17 AM
As well as the phone numbers for my local authority, I have also printed off the details from a neighbouring authority, as one of my children lives in the next borough.

When I had my last inspection, I discussed if the the inspector often saw cut and pasted safeguarding details. She replied that she saw that many childminders ( no matter where they lived) would contact Bromley Social Services. This was in the days when the Bromley Childminding Association was the go to place for information and policies.
I think this example is still valid, if childminders cut and paste from Facebook forums etc.

Wow, I hadn't thought of that - one of my old little ones was also from the neighbouring authority. Thank you for bringing that to my attention!

The Bromley example is a shocker! I used a lot of their templates too but definitely put in my own relevant details.

Simona
03-01-2016, 10:31 AM
Wow, I hadn't thought of that - one of my old little ones was also from the neighbouring authority. Thank you for bringing that to my attention!

The Bromley example is a shocker! I used a lot of their templates too but definitely put in my own relevant details.

I think cms need to look at LAs who are now merging and combining their 'children's services'...my LA is a prime example because they have done just so with the neighbouring LA ...but...each LA will still have its own LSCB and its Director of Children's Services.

The number we require to have in our Child Protection portfolio for EYFS purposes is the one of the Team we need to contact in case of concerns...these teams have different names across the country and open 24 hrs a day ...the LSCB in each LA will also have details on the website of procedures and, possibly, even a 'model' safeguarding policy from which we can quote....I always had a copy of it alongside my own.

Worth checking that out...good luck!

bunyip
03-01-2016, 07:38 PM
Oh sorry, I can't find it.

The usual- how it went, what they focused on, did you have to do a joint observation, what did they want to see, how did it go, any tips etc...

My mistake, my apologies. I posted a link to the pertinent thread, but admin had to remove my post becuase it was originally in the 'green' members' zone, and therefore utterly useless to non-greenies.

(Stoopid me! :p)

I'll PM you with a copy/paste of the most relevant post from that thread...................... which will also save the members from a re-run of my inspection and me hijacking this thread entirely.

(I can hear the sighs of utter relief all round. ;))

bunyip
03-01-2016, 07:43 PM
@Mumofone

Ah...............problem.

I can't send you a private message until you've cleared your message inbox: I got one of those messages from the PM system when I tried to send it. :p

Sorry everyone else: I really am hijacking, but I didn't mean to you.

...................talk amongst yourselves. :ohdear:

BallyH
03-01-2016, 11:47 PM
@Mumofone

Ah...............problem.

I can't send you a private message until you've cleared your message inbox: I got one of those messages from the PM system when I tried to send it. :p

Sorry everyone else: I really am hijacking, but I didn't mean to you.

...................talk amongst yourselves. :ohdear:

Could you please send it to me as well?

Simona
04-01-2016, 09:59 AM
Ah Bunyip....it would have been nice to re read your feedback
They are extremely useful considering that the new inspection reports can be read in less than 15 minutes despite inspections lasting 3 hours!!

Hope more cms post them after their inspections.

Just a thought...we have now entered the last phase of the 2012-2016 inspection cycle...by the end of July all will be inspected!

Sorry for the deviation and good luck to those waiting for that inspector to call!!!

mumofone
04-01-2016, 12:31 PM
@Mumofone Ah...............problem. I can't send you a private message until you've cleared your message inbox: I got one of those messages from the PM system when I tried to send it. :p Sorry everyone else: I really am hijacking, but I didn't mean to you. ...................talk amongst yourselves. :ohdear:

Sorry bunyip...try again now :-)

Wish inboxes would have more capacity!!

bunyip
04-01-2016, 03:49 PM
Thanks for spring-cleaning your inbox Mo1. :thumbsup:

I've PMed the link to the full thread to Simona, as you can read the whole lot, being a 'greenie'.

I've PMed a copy/paste of just my post regarding my inspection to moh and Mo1, as the link wouldn't be accessible to you.

Hope this helps.

Simona
06-01-2016, 10:51 AM
Thanks for spring-cleaning your inbox Mo1. :thumbsup:

I've PMed the link to the full thread to Simona, as you can read the whole lot, being a 'greenie'.

I've PMed a copy/paste of just my post regarding my inspection to moh and Mo1, as the link wouldn't be accessible to you.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Bunyip...got the DM
Will read at leisure and get the feel of what your insp(ectre) was like!!

mumofone
06-01-2016, 10:54 AM
Thanks for spring-cleaning your inbox Mo1. :thumbsup: I've PMed the link to the full thread to Simona, as you can read the whole lot, being a 'greenie'. I've PMed a copy/paste of just my post regarding my inspection to moh and Mo1, as the link wouldn't be accessible to you. Hope this helps.

Thanks bunyip, sorry haven't got round to replying yet! Well done on your very deserved outstanding :-)

bunyip
06-01-2016, 06:47 PM
Thanks Bunyip...got the DM
Will read at leisure and get the feel of what your insp(ectre) was like!!

I think she was just taken in by my George Clooney-esque looks :cool: and Jack Dee-like sense of humour. ;)

.................... it could've been the other way round. :ohdear:

Simona
06-01-2016, 06:52 PM
I think she was just taken in by my George Clooney-esque looks :cool: and Jack Dee-like sense of humour. ;)

.................... it could've been the other way round. :ohdear:

Love Jack Dee...he is wicked!...or his sense of humour is!

bunyip
06-01-2016, 06:56 PM
Love Jack Dee...he is wicked!...or his sense of humour is!

In that case I definitely have the sense of humour of George Clooney. ;)

Simona
06-01-2016, 06:59 PM
In that case I definitely have the sense of humour of George Clooney. ;)

Nah...Clooney has the looks! :rolleyes:

mumofone
06-01-2016, 07:00 PM
Err...are you two flirting? ;-)

Simona
06-01-2016, 08:15 PM

I am just imagining our George Clooney drinking Nespresso while the inspectre gives her feedback! :laughing:

bunyip
07-01-2016, 06:03 PM

Heck, no. Fussy would kill me! :D

bunyip
07-01-2016, 06:06 PM
I am just imagining our George Clooney drinking Nespresso while the inspectre gives her feedback! :laughing:

Now you mention it, I did pop an LSD tab in the inspector's coffee, just to put her in a good mood. ;)

bunyip
07-01-2016, 06:07 PM
Nah...Clooney has the looks! :rolleyes:

Excellent comeback. I am as impressed as I am chastened. :thumbsup:

greenfaerie
09-01-2016, 02:16 AM
Ooh a fantastic checklist, thanks for that. I'm going to print it just to double check I've got everything in place. :D

Side note: I didn't know there was a "greenies" only area... I could be missing out on so much mystery content! Note to self: Must post more rather than reading and lurking.