PDA

View Full Version : Childminders on non-domestic premises

sarah707
31-12-2015, 12:13 PM
There are still a lot of questions about this new law that is coming into force from Jan 1st.

This is what we do know or can surmise so far - Childminders operating from non-domestic premises - Independent Childminders (http://independentchildminders.weebly.com/blog/childminders-operating-from-non-domestic-premises).

There is an Ofsted Big Conversation meeting with Ofsted in early January - sadly I cannot attend because it is during the day when I am working but I have asked for it to go on the agenda and I am sending a list of questions...

SO... if you have any questions please let me have them! Thank you :D

sarah707
31-12-2015, 12:58 PM
Some questions raised by me - and childminders on our Independent Childminders Facebook group - so far!

Please keep them coming ...

• What is the expected time-scale for approval of non-domestic premises applications by Ofsted?

• When will the Ofsted application system be open for childminders to apply? How will this be publicised as childminders typically do not find it easy to navigate the Ofsted website?

• Ratios clarification is required for different scenarios eg EYFS and over 5s; pre-school vs childminder. Will under 5s on non-domestic premises still be counted as 5 for the purposes of the childminder’s registration once they are in full time school?

• What is half a week? Is it half the childminder’s normal working week eg if the childminder normally works for 20 hours childminding they can do 10 hours in the non-domestic premises… or is it 25 hours (half a standard working week of 50 hours)… or something different?

• How will half a week be calculated by Ofsted – over a 52 week year, a school year (less holiday weeks), a year less the childminder’s holiday weeks, monthly or weekly?

• Will ‘half the week’ include travel time between settings – and will it include meal times if the childminder is self-employed and doesn’t usually take them or takes a ‘captive’ break on the premises due to ratios? What about non-contact time in the non-domestic premises setting – how will that be calculated by Ofsted?

• What would happen if a childminder opens up a before and after school club and spends their time between 8 and 9am and 3 to 6pm in the club (less than half a week), leaving 2 assistants to run their childminding provision – assuming each of the assistants can currently run the provision unsupervised for up to 2 hours on their own? What would Ofsted think to this?

• If the childminder wants to start up a pre-school or offer funded 2 year provision on non-domestic premises the Govt currently provides parents with 15 funded hours – when it increases to 30 funded hours that will presumably take them to over ‘half a week’ – will the new law be adjusted to accommodate this change or will the childminder have to offer less than the 30 hours?

• To follow on from that question - when delivering 30 funded hours in the future - if the ‘half a week’ is calculated over a 52 week year they might be able to juggle the hours so they spend all their holidays childminding and term time part childminding and part delivering 30 funded hours in the pre-school – would that be acceptable?

• What will the Local Authority role be in regard to the new rules – will they have to register premises / will the childminder need to submit a planning application for D1 planning if the premises don’t already have it in place? Will the LA be required to carry out a local childcare sufficiency audit before allowing the new premises to be registered? Has DFE provided Local Authorities with more information that we can read, for example, have they given an expected / advised timescale for dealing with new applications?

• How will Ofsted monitor approvals given to childminders by childminder agencies? Will the rules be the same or different for childminders registered with agencies?

• What insurance will Ofsted inspectors be looking for during inspection? Will childminder insurance cover childminders to work on non-domestic premises or will they require different insurance? If 2 or more childminders work together will they each need to buy individual or group insurance? Maybe this is a question for PLA / Morton Michel…

Simona
01-01-2016, 09:55 AM
Happy New Year everyone
Today some Cms will 'welcome' the new opportunities in the Childcare Measures: Small Business, Enterprise & Employment Act 2015
This Act allows Cms to work on domestic premises and also non-domestic with one single registration for up to 50% of their time
This means cms can open after school care/holiday provision on school premises while at the same time keeping their home registered as 'domestic' premises....all goes hand in hand with the 30 hours and trials currently going on and the new consultation launched by the DfE recently about providers and parents who can request a school site for this type of care if one exists and is unused.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/childcare-measures-small-business-enterprise-employment-act

Thanks for reminding us Sarah as today it all kicks in and becomes reality.

I am not aware what is being discussed on FB therefore difficult to input in that discussion...just some of the questions puzzled me.

The Childcare Measure etc Act 2015 was passed by govt ...DfE in particular had a huge input in this.
unless I am wrong...Ofsted have addressed some of the questions your group is raising in their recent publication 150150 of 22 December 2015.

In the publication 'EY and Childcare Register Handbook 22 Dec 2015' many of the measures have been published.
I did post this new link in the forum Ofsted section...many Cms have read it...useful to keep saved as it gives useful info on registration fees, assistants and application.

This publication covers the 50% rule (which I understand is decided by the applicants themselves) and other issues such as how long it will take to register on both premises.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/become-a-registered-early-years-or-childcare-provider-in-england

Hopefully someone will attend you OBC meeting and ask questions...I have already put some on my agenda for the London OBC which I have booked and will attend .

sarah707
10-01-2016, 07:18 PM
Answers to questions asked by childminders about the new ‘childminders working on non-domestic premises’ rule which means that childminders are now able to work for up to half their time off the premises.

• What is the expected time-scale for approval of non-domestic premises applications by Ofsted?

No service agreement in place as yet. Each case will be reviewed on an individual basis as it is a new system. If the Childminder has not been inspected this may need to be done prior to agreement. Hence case by case at present. If inspection is required it will be a regional or HMI not going out to the Inspector service provider at present.

• When will the Ofsted application system be open for childminders to apply? How will this be publicised as childminders typically do not find it easy to navigate the Ofsted website?

The application system is here - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/childcare-providers-eya-approval-to-operate-from-non-domestic-premises
It is available in the EY document section on the Ofsted website. It is useful to sign up for the Ofsted update service if not already registered – https://www.gov.uk/government/news/ofsted-email-alerts-important-updates.

• Ratios clarification is required for different scenarios eg EYFS and over 5s; pre-school vs childminder. Will under 5s on non-domestic premises still be counted as 5 for the purposes of the childminder’s registration once they are in full time school?

No change to childminder / childcare on domestic premises current ratios – the only change is that the childminder can work 50% of the week off domestic premises.

• We asked Ofsted to clarify what is meant by ‘half the week’

Half your week is an Ofsted term - not half a week. This will be assessed on a case-by-case basis dependent on the amount of hours worked… and Ofsted state that it will be governed by legal advice and policies.

• What would happen if a childminder opens up a before and after school club and spends their time between 8 and 9am and 3 to 6pm in the club (less than half a week), leaving 2 assistants to run their childminding provision – assuming each of the assistants can currently run the provision unsupervised for up to 2 hours on their own? What would Ofsted think to this?

This scenario is not in the spirit of the way it has been introduced. The Childminder takes all aspects of the service with them off domestic premises for the period.

• If the childminder wants to start up a pre-school or offer funded 2 year provision on non-domestic premises the Govt currently provides parents with 15 funded hours – when it increases to 30 funded hours that will presumably take them to over ‘half a week’ – will the new law be adjusted to accommodate this change or will the childminder have to offer less than the 30 hours?

• To follow on from that question - when delivering 30 funded hours in the future - if the ‘half a week’ is calculated over a 52 week year they might be able to juggle the hours so they spend all their holidays childminding and term time part childminding and part delivering 30 funded hours in the pre-school – would that be acceptable?

These scenarios will be decided by Ofsted on a case by case basis.

• What will the Local Authority role be in regard to the new rules – will they have to register premises / will the childminder need to submit a planning application for D1 planning if the premises don’t already have it in place? Will the LA be required to carry out a local childcare sufficiency audit before allowing the new premises to be registered? Has DFE provided Local Authorities with more information that we can read, for example, have they given an expected / advised timescale for dealing with new applications?

This is not for Ofsted to comment on – childminders must ask their own local authorities for further information.

• What insurance will Ofsted inspectors be looking for during inspection? Will childminder insurance cover childminders to work on non-domestic premises or will they require different insurance? If 2 or more childminders work together will they each need to buy individual or group insurance?

You will need to speak to your insurance company.

Thank you to members of the OBC who took these questions to Ofsted for us :D

Simona
11-01-2016, 09:33 AM
Good questions Sarah
Many of the answers are in this updated publication of 9 December which came into effect in Jan 2016...it included what the '50 hour' rule is.
Also if any cm is embarking on this new expansion they can call Ofsted Helpline for further support

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/become-a-registered-early-years-or-childcare-provider-in-england