PDA

View Full Version : Building blocks

mumofone
30-12-2015, 01:55 PM
Is playing with any kind of building blocks a mathematical learning activity? I mean duplo, mega blocks, wooden building blocks and shapes etc?

moggy
30-12-2015, 02:01 PM
Yes, maths covers anything to do with spacial awareness, 2D and 3D shapes, playing with different sizes (big bear, little bear), sorting, counting... so building blocks, stickle bricks, stacking cups, shape sorters, cardboard tubes/tubs/boxes, lining things up, sorting things by colour/shape/size, etc. There isn't much that doesn't cover some aspect of maths!

mumofone
30-12-2015, 03:19 PM
Yes, maths covers anything to do with spacial awareness, 2D and 3D shapes, playing with different sizes (big bear, little bear), sorting, counting... so building blocks, stickle bricks, stacking cups, shape sorters, cardboard tubes/tubs/boxes, lining things up, sorting things by colour/shape/size, etc. There isn't much that doesn't cover some aspect of maths!

Thanks moggy and are they considered as covering physical development as in for fine motor skills too?

I think I use more maths in my setting than I realise!

moggy
30-12-2015, 03:38 PM
Thanks moggy and are they considered as covering physical development as in for fine motor skills too?

I think I use more maths in my setting than I realise!

Yes, PD/fine motor skills- anything that is done with the hands- picking up, squeezing, pincers with thumb & finger/s, balancing things, stacking, pushing, modelling and moulding, mark making, using tools, etc.

sarah707
30-12-2015, 06:58 PM
I have been informed that Ofsted inspectors are going on maths training in January - so it will be very much more of a focus in inspections!

I am writing a series of new maths activity guides for Childcare.co.uk gold members - they will be going online soon - it's important that we recognise how much maths we include and are confident talking about it during inspection :D

mumofone
30-12-2015, 09:14 PM
I have been informed that Ofsted inspectors are going on maths training in January - so it will be very much more of a focus in inspections!

I am writing a series of new maths activity guides for Childcare.co.uk gold members - they will be going online soon - it's important that we recognise how much maths we include and are confident talking about it during inspection :D

Thanks Sarah :-)

Simona
31-12-2015, 09:33 AM
Building blocks or any kind or building/construction will cover all the 7 areas of learning while particularly focussing on the one area we may be wanting to observe....maths seems to be the first one we think of

Outsourced inspectors are off on a maths training course? Sarah please say this is a joke?
Like you say maths is all around us...every nook and cranny! and many inspectors have EY background and knowledge....I despair!

The sooner EY settings return to be inspected by Ofsted the better...we should not expect anything less.

sarah707
31-12-2015, 01:10 PM
Outsourced inspectors are off on a maths training course? Sarah please say this is a joke?

That's what I have been told by someone who knows these things!!

Time to brush up our maths provision and make sure we are including maths in everything we do!

we have noted a lot of maths references in inspection reports since Sept 2015 so it's clearly already a focus - about to become more so! :D

Simona
31-12-2015, 01:47 PM
Thank you for the reply Sarah.
So it is both inspectors being trained in maths and providers.

This will help those who want help...Maths Champions run by NDNA since 2013
Cms can receive info on their training even if you are not an NDNA member...some courses are affordable

Maths Champions (http://www.ndna.org.uk/NDNA/Community/Maths_Champions.aspx)

and this too has been in operation since 2013 involving EYPS
Early Years Professionals to become Maths Champions in nurseries (http://www.daynurseries.co.uk/news/article.cfm/id/1560010/early-years-professionals-to-become-maths-champions-to-lead-innovative-practice-for-under-fives)

bunyip
31-12-2015, 03:47 PM
Is there any truth in the rumour that Ofsted inspectres will be conducting inspections in teams of three?

Viz.........................

..................one of whom has done the maths course, one who can read and write, and the third will keep an eye on the other two dangerous intellectuals. ;)

bunyip
31-12-2015, 04:36 PM
I looked at this thread simply because "building blocks" triggers the same subliminal panic response in me as "windmills".

Back in the not-so-distant when LA's did their level best to make it difficult for CMs to offer 3-4yo funding, ours made you do a 'Rag-rating' self-evaluation of your setting before applying for the dubious privilege of being short-changed by their funding team. 'Rag' stood for "red/amber/green" which was how you were supposed to rate your practice before the local development worker came in to disagree violently and rubbish you for not attempting to run a mini-nursery.

Woe betide if you rated yourself 'green' for maths resources and owned fewer than 5 different types of building blocks (and there's me, struggling to name anything beyond Lego/Megablocks*, stickle bricks and the good ol' wooden ones the lo's use to lob at the ornaments. :huh: )

Typically, I was ticked off and told this was another of those "Ofsted requirements" - i.e. the type I have always assumed the DofE put into EYFS in invisible ink. Oddly enough, I don't recall any inspector showing the slightest interest in my toy brick collection.

* PS. Does anybody else feel that MegaBlocks are to Lego what Aldi is to Waitrose. :rolleyes:

FloraDora
31-12-2015, 04:55 PM
I have recently completed an Early years CPD Module on counting and number with the National Hubs for Maths - my cut and paste link is not behaving but basicly there are 34 hubs around the country and they all feed in to a 'National Centre for Excellence in the teaching of maths' . Costs nothing to join - but there isn't, I notice, a tick box available for childminders- I joined when I was a teacher and since most childminders are teachers in their role now I don't see why you can't tick the teacher box! Google maths hubs and you will get there.
The module was good at reminding us about how children learn and how to assess effectively in the area of being secure in maths...plus much more. It is task related and lots of opportunities to reflect too which helped me build up my knowledge and skills and added to my self evaluation- which might be seen in a positive light if a focus may be maths this year.
Lots of info around Early years and beyond in Maths. An online CPD folder to evidence your training and reading is useful too plus opportunities to discuss with others on the course which you don't always get with online modules.

My inspector informed me she had recently attended an outdoor environment training before my inspection in January last year - she was highly pleased when I said we were going into the garden for a session and had even brought a warm coat and wellies - a lot of discussion took place out there and she was not focussed on windmills and signs, more opportunities for hands on learning across the curriculum I wondered if her focus would have been different if she had not attended this training before my inspection? Given this experience I would expect a maths focus to appear if they are being given maths training, not officially but if it is in the for front of your mind you can't help but see it or lack of it I am sure!
They are after all human ...still.
Looking forward to your writings Sarah.

mumofone
31-12-2015, 06:49 PM
My LA runs courses for teaching maths in the early years but charges £100 to attend, do childminders really gave this kind of money kicking about to spend on training?! so if anyone knows of any free ones Id definitely be interested :-)

moggy
31-12-2015, 08:21 PM
My LA runs courses for teaching maths in the early years but charges £100 to attend, do childminders really gave this kind of money kicking about to spend on training?! so if anyone knows of any free ones Id definitely be interested :-)

I have just registered with the one FloraDora mentioned. Once you are logged in there is a CPD button and that goes to the Early Years CPD module.

Simona
31-12-2015, 08:22 PM
Is anyone else a little confused on this sudden focus on teaching maths in the EYFS?
I am because for as long as I can remember and going back a few years...maths was always part of what we taught children now and before EYFS.

I am also puzzled that inspect(res) as Bunyip puts it.... are going to be trained on maths while EY employers are very concerned that they cannot recruit new staff and get them going on the Level 3 EYE qualifications because of the requirement to have GCSE in maths...have I got very lost in this issue?

Although there are many courses we could attend at a cost there is also well known and good literature to refer to ...look no further than National Strategies...and those have been around a while and I don't think inspectors had to be trained to spot good maths teaching before so why now?

Here is few that could help without the need to attend costly training.

Numbers and Patterns (http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/2011/10/numbers-and-patterns-%e2%80%93-laying-foundations-in-mathematics/)

Young Children Thinking Mathematically (http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/2011/10/young-children-thinking-mathematically-%e2%80%93-psrn-essential-knowledge-for-practitioners/)

Happy reading and Happy New Year!