PDA

View Full Version : Help I am in a panic!

welshgirl
07-08-2008, 08:53 AM
Hello, is it just me, or do other people feel as terrified as me about ofsted visiting? I am due my first inspection soon, and am terrified of picking up the phone! How much notice do they give you that they are coming? Do they give you a time/day, or do they just turn up? I am just worried that I am not doing things right, I suppose previously I have always had a mananger to tell me well done, etc, but I feel completely on my own with this job.

I have done most of my paper work in line with EYFS, so I am hoping it is ok. But it's little things I am not sure of, for example, I generally have the radio on, is this ok? I have nursery rhyme CD's I play too, but Is it OK to have the radio on?

Also I have no idea what is expected of me, I have my own 5 year old and 11 month old, and a 16 month minded child. My eldest son is normally at school while I am minding(I finish at 2) during the holidays if we are at home he generally just gets on with what ever he fancies doing, he is doing an Egypt scrap book at the moment, so I suppose he could get on with that when Ofsted come, but other things he likes doing (k'NEX, lego, magnetix etc) he can't really do while I am minding as the bits are so small.

With the babies, we just generally just see what the day brings,what mood they are in. I generally put some toys out, then allow them to self select other toys if they want to. We read books, sing nursery rhymes, look at treasure baskets, play with little people, play instrument to nursery rhymes. But I just feel there is no strucure to our day.

Any advice or comments would be welcome

sarah707
07-08-2008, 09:01 AM
It sounds to me like you are doing a great job and should stop panicking!

You know what children enjoy doing and you let them get on with it... you follow their interests and support their learning ... that's what Ofsted will be looking for.

The key inspection question is, 'What is it like for a child here?'... you've answered that in your post if you read it back and to me it sounds like it's very nice for a child to be with you :D

angeldelight
07-08-2008, 09:34 AM
I think lots of minders panic for their inspection so dont worry you are not the only one

You are not alone - you have us to help and support you also

Some of the girls have had their inspections recently and they were fine and said it was much better than they had thought it was
I am sure they will be around to tell you how it went for them

Also have a look in the forum at the tips some of them have left - very helpful

Like Sarah says though you seem to have everything under control so dont panic

If you need any more help after reading in the forum give us a shout so we can help you

Angel xxx

LittleAcorns
07-08-2008, 10:20 AM
A lot of it is that we dont know what to expect, I had my first inspection a week ago

At first I was really nervous about what to expect, but as time went on I thought to myself..."just do what you normally do" from your post you sound like you all have everything under control

Have you got the following documents ready to show
the inspector?

For all childminders and day-care providers
□ the name, home address and date of birth of each child who is looked after on the premises
□ the name, home address and telephone number of a parent of each child
□ the name, home address and telephone number of any person who will be
looking after children on the premises (childminding only)
□ a daily record of the names of the children looked after on the premises, their hours of attendance and the names of the persons who look after them
□ a record of accidents occurring on the premises
□ a record of any medicinal product administered to any child on the premises,
including the date and circumstances of its administration, by whom it was
administered, including medicinal products which the child is permitted to
administer to himself/herself, together with a record of a parent’s consent
□ a record of complaints that includes brief details of the complaint, the National Standard(s) it relates to, how it was dealt with, the outcome of any
investigation including any action(s) taken, and whether and when the parent
was notified of the outcome.

First of all for me Ofsted rang to see how many children were on my books, then a couple of weeks later the inspector rang to see when I would be in the following week and gave me 4 days she may come on.......

I can honestly say it wasnt as bad as I thought, so try to enjoy what you are doing xx

Spangles
07-08-2008, 12:56 PM
I'm having mine in just over a week and I'm nervous too! I think it's quite normal to feel this way.

You sound as if everything you do is great so I wouldn't worry.

I also think it's good to play music as children need to be exposed to music, rhythm, rhyme, different types of music, playing instruments, learning nursery rhymes, etc. Perhaps I would turn it off for the inspection or turn it off at some point and say that you like to have it on for them sometimes but also like them to have quieter times so it's a bit more peaceful for listening to stories, thinking, chilling, etc? Maybe you could play a story CD?

buildingblocks
07-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Everyone has given you good advice.

I have now had two inspections and I still get nervous about them even though I am doing as good as a job as I can. Just remember the inspectors are only human (honest - but someone may need to remind me of this at some point in the near future lol).

Rememebr it is your business ans you know these children better than anyone else apart from their parents. So long as you can tell someone why you are doing something that is all that is iimportant. I hate the fact of the grading although I do agree with it as well.

Wiggly
07-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Hello, is it just me, or do other people feel as terrified as me about ofsted visiting? I am due my first inspection soon, and am terrified of picking up the phone! How much notice do they give you that they are coming? Do they give you a time/day, or do they just turn up? I am just worried that I am not doing things right, I suppose previously I have always had a mananger to tell me well done, etc, but I feel completely on my own with this job.

I have done most of my paper work in line with EYFS, so I am hoping it is ok. But it's little things I am not sure of, for example, I generally have the radio on, is this ok? I have nursery rhyme CD's I play too, but Is it OK to have the radio on?

Also I have no idea what is expected of me, I have my own 5 year old and 11 month old, and a 16 month minded child. My eldest son is normally at school while I am minding(I finish at 2) during the holidays if we are at home he generally just gets on with what ever he fancies doing, he is doing an Egypt scrap book at the moment, so I suppose he could get on with that when Ofsted come, but other things he likes doing (k'NEX, lego, magnetix etc) he can't really do while I am minding as the bits are so small.

With the babies, we just generally just see what the day brings,what mood they are in. I generally put some toys out, then allow them to self select other toys if they want to. We read books, sing nursery rhymes, look at treasure baskets, play with little people, play instrument to nursery rhymes. But I just feel there is no strucure to our day.
Any advice or comments would be welcome

I had my inspection yesterday. The inspector rang me on Monday when I was at the hospital with my son for his operation and spoke to my Mum who was here looking after my daughter. She said she would call back Tues. She did and asked if she could come tomorrow (Wednesday) and would 9.30am be ok. She arrived prompt. So my answer would be, yes, I was give a day and time but very little notice.

As for babies - I said to the inspector that I do not overly plan - just do things spontaneously and pick up on what my baby mindee enjoys and take the activity a little further on a future date. This showed slight planning. The inspector agreed that you cannot plan overly for a baby mindee.

Hope this helps. Very best of luck for your inspection. Just relax and you will be fine.

Wiggly
x

welshgirl
08-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Thank you very much for all your support. It has made me feel a lot better. The Childminders in my area seem to keep themselves to themselves, I have tried to arrange meet ups in the school hols with no success, most of them just like to stay at home with the kids. Which isn't me at all, I prefer to be out and about, so we have been out with my friends and my eldest sons friends and parents from pre-school. But I can't chat to them about minding, so it is really nice to have you guys here to chat to.

I had a phone call today, and I nearly passed out when they said it was ofsted. But they were just updating their records. I am hoping they come soon. I just want it done out of the way now.

Just one question, over the school hols I have a number of trips out, and various things planned for my eldest son, Hol club, lego land, country parks, friends to play etc. Some of these have been pre booked and payed for would Ofsted expect me to cancel these?

Best of luck for next week Lorri, I have my fingers crossed for you that it all goes well. Let us know how it went

x Nic

Minstrel
08-08-2008, 08:30 PM
From what i've heard from the others they do not expect you to cancel. i think they call and ask if you'll be in on a couple of certain days and leave it open to when they might arrive over those days or if you are lucky then give you a def time and day!

Minstrel
08-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Oh and i meant to say good luck when you do eventually get your inspection - i'm sure it will go great x

welshgirl
08-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Oh well, hopefully they won't inspect me till September then. My son will be devistated if he doesn't get his trip to LegoLand, we have been saving up our tesco club card vouchers for ages for us to go! Holiday club shouldn't be a problem as I drop him off there at 10, I guess they will be happy to come after that time if I tell them. If we have friends over, perhaps I will just have to confirm it on the day.

mmmmmmmm, perhaps I will just have to switch my phone off for 2 weeks till we go on hols. ;)

Minstrel
08-08-2008, 08:44 PM
We went to legoland last thurs and had a fab day so i hope you enjoy it too!! Wave to us on the way through !!! we live in windsor.

buildingblocks
08-08-2008, 08:45 PM
mmmmmmmm, perhaps I will just have to switch my phone off for 2 weeks till we go on hols. ;)

Sounds a good idea to me lol

miffy
08-08-2008, 08:46 PM
I just wanted to wish you good luck but I'm sure you will be fine.

Enjoy your trips out and don't worry too much about Ofsted

Miffy xx

welshgirl
08-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Thanks everyone.

Will give you a wave Amanda, we live in Wokingham, so won't be going through Windsor. Will be visiting Windsor next week too, to see the soldiors march through the town, so I will give you a wave then!

sarah707
08-08-2008, 10:10 PM
They will ask you when you are free - just tell them when you're out!

Don't worry! :D