PDA

View Full Version : Weather boxes

mumofone
27-12-2015, 03:09 PM
Do any of you use these or prescribe to the idea and what weathers do you account for and what's in them?

moggy
27-12-2015, 04:35 PM
What's a weather box?
We talk about the weather every day and use it as themes for our activities on a day to day basis, I am very much outdoor- and nature-based so the weather is a big part of what we do here. I do not have any special 'weather' resources.

Kirstylob
27-12-2015, 04:58 PM
I saw these weather sensory bottles on a Facebook page. I thought they were a really good idea for younger children. The lady that made them put all the links up to. If anyone's interested I can add them later when I'm home.

mumofone
28-12-2015, 08:09 AM
What's a weather box? We talk about the weather every day and use it as themes for our activities on a day to day basis, I am very much outdoor- and nature-based so the weather is a big part of what we do here. I do not have any special 'weather' resources.

I heard that they are boxes of resources you take out in the garden depending on the weather so for say a sunny day box you may have a picnic blanket and sunglasses and books then a windy day you may have a kite etc...

moggy
28-12-2015, 08:44 AM
I heard that they are boxes of resources you take out in the garden depending on the weather so for say a sunny day box you may have a picnic blanket and sunglasses and books then a windy day you may have a kite etc...

I do not have storage space to have special sets of resources like that!
I get those things out as we feel like and as we are inspired to do so through the year.
Maybe that is a nursery/preschool thing where they are not in a home, so do not have these things around otherwise?
For me, getting sunglasses out and a picnic-blanket and iced drinks is a natural and normal part of a sunny summer's day and all those items are easy to get from our normal family household possessions. But at a nursery they would have to plan to have those resources ta the setting, get them ahead of time and store them... maybe that is where this 'weather box' thing is from? (just speculating, never heard of them before!!)

blue bear
28-12-2015, 10:55 AM
I have a windy day box (kites, wind socks ,bubbles, etc) and a discovery box ( binoculars, magnifying glasses) I have a bag that contains essentials so this time of year it's gloves hats scarves, towels to dry slides etc, In The summer it's us hats sun cream, towels to dry slides....

They live in the boot of the car because we are out and about a lot, I don't see the need for them at home as resources just get pulled out and used as and when needed

FloraDora
28-12-2015, 11:15 AM
I do not have storage space to have special sets of resources like that!
I get those things out as we feel like and as we are inspired to do so through the year.
Maybe that is a nursery/preschool thing where they are not in a home, so do not have these things around otherwise?
For me, getting sunglasses out and a picnic-blanket and iced drinks is a natural and normal part of a sunny summer's day and all those items are easy to get from our normal family household possessions. But at a nursery they would have to plan to have those resources ta the setting, get them ahead of time and store them... maybe that is where this 'weather box' thing is from? (just speculating, never heard of them before!!)

Like you I have resources that are multifunctional 'open' resources that can be used as and when inspiration or well planned activities happen. In all my reception classes/ nurseries they had boxes with core items in them to save time and searching, but they could afford to and had the space to store under seperate headings. My wind ribbons double up as dance ribbons, wriggly pretend water, put together for ribboned entrances to creative places, to define an area both in and out of the house, to add colour to a set up, to inspire when painting rainbows... So They don't live in a specificly labelled box.

However, a quick google brought up this site which has a great long list of the sorts of things you could put in a weather box. Most of it is common sense and typical of what we all have I am sure but it serves as a good reminder.
Weather Boxes - School Curriculum and General issues - Early Years Foundation Stage Forum (http://eyfs.info/forums/topic/11913-weather-boxes/)

mumofone
28-12-2015, 09:55 PM
Like you I have resources that are multifunctional 'open' resources that can be used as and when inspiration or well planned activities happen. In all my reception classes/ nurseries they had boxes with core items in them to save time and searching, but they could afford to and had the space to store under seperate headings. My wind ribbons double up as dance ribbons, wriggly pretend water, put together for ribboned entrances to creative places, to define an area both in and out of the house, to add colour to a set up, to inspire when painting rainbows... So They don't live in a specificly labelled box. However, a quick google brought up this site which has a great long list of the sorts of things you could put in a weather box. Most of it is common sense and typical of what we all have I am sure but it serves as a good reminder. Weather Boxes - School Curriculum and General issues - Early Years Foundation Stage Forum (http://eyfs.info/forums/topic/11913-weather-boxes/)

Thanks FD, a useful link :-)