PDA

View Full Version : HOLIDAYS?

LOOPYLISA
07-08-2008, 07:43 AM
Hi can i ask how many weeks you all take off during the year, only we usually have a week away beginning of the year id like 2 during summer hols, and then then theres xmas, and the odd days, is this too many?:D

crazybones
07-08-2008, 07:44 AM
I say 4 weeks and state that they are usually last 2 weeks in August and Xmas week and the other week is for odd days. This is actually the first year I have taken all for weeks since I started minding.

katickles
07-08-2008, 07:52 AM
I have in my contracts 4 weeks.

This is the first year that I have been minding so so far don't see that i'd need to use anymore.

I guess at the end of the day though, its your business so your desicion.

x

kindredspirits
07-08-2008, 08:00 AM
sorry to hijack the post - but if you put in your contract 4 weeks holiday do you HAVE to take it??? i can imagine for the first year or so i'll be working all hours as dh has only got 1 hrs work at the min and we're broke. i've got a weeks holiday booked on october and then can't imagine i'll be taking a hol until xmas eve

buildingblocks
07-08-2008, 12:50 PM
In my handbook it says I will take up to 5 weeks holiday a year

Two of these will be full weeks usually one in May and one in September

the rest will be taken as odd days possibly monday or a friday. I also usually close between Christmas and New Year but won't be doing htis year or else it would be nearly two weeks. I also shut for BH but these are not taken out of my 5 weeks holiday days.

samgeordie
07-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Im taking 5 weeks holidays, 2 weeks summer, 1.5 wks at xmas, then odd days. As long as you give the parents enough notice and state it in your contract then its fine, you are entitled to holidays just like everyone else

madasahatter
07-08-2008, 04:28 PM
Including bank hols I take just over 6 weeks. 2 weeks at xmas, 1 week in March to go skiing, 2 weeks at the end of August and a couple of days at Springbank and October half terms so me and my son can do things together.

madasahatter
07-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Including bank hols I take just over 6 weeks. 2 weeks at xmas, 1 week in March to go skiing, 2 weeks at the end of August and a couple of days at Springbank and October half terms so me and my son can do things together.

claireLouise
07-08-2008, 04:38 PM
I am new at this and I have said 6 weeks; 2 at summer, 2 at Christmas/New Year and a week at sprinjg and Autumn . no complaints so far.

Claire

Alibali
07-08-2008, 05:32 PM
I take 5 weeks, one at easter, 2 in summer, one in october and between christmas and new year, all to coincide with school holidays. These are all unpaid. I also take 10 public holidays, so that's another 2 weeks, and these are at full fee. No complaints yet:)

ChocolateChip
07-08-2008, 09:08 PM
You can choose whatever you want to do, it's your business.
I have said I will normally take 4 weeks a year, but I reserve the right to increase/decrease this amount. I don't charge for my holidays so as long as I give them plenty of notice no-one can really complain.
I'd like to take more but at the moment I can't afford to lose the money!
This year I have booked the last 2 wks of August and the 2 wks over christmas/new year, but have said that I can be flexible on that one, my oh works in retail so I know that can be a busy time for parents.
TBH I struggled over when to take it, I feel guilty taking it in term-time, cos I have term-time only ones, but in the hols I am missing out on extra money- bit of quandary!

kellywestie
08-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Hi, I have 4 weeks written into the contracts for my hols and the parents have the same. All at half pay.

I always close for 2 weeks at Xmas and New Year when we go skiing and don't charge for those and they are not included in the 4 weeks.

I have 2 weeks in the summer (going next week for 16 days - can't wait:clapping: ) and this is at half pay. May use the remaining days throughout the year but last year didn't use them.

I do try and work the holidays in with at least some of the parents (1 mindee is away for the next two weeks) but I still get paid half fees.

If you explain the system fully to parents at the start they are usually ok with it - mine are anyway!

polobear1970
08-08-2008, 05:25 PM
sorry to hijack the post - but if you put in your contract 4 weeks holiday do you HAVE to take it??? i can imagine for the first year or so i'll be working all hours as dh has only got 1 hrs work at the min and we're broke. i've got a weeks holiday booked on october and then can't imagine i'll be taking a hol until xmas eve

If you are getting paid for it ( i do) for 4 weeks per year then it means you can feel the time as you like, even if you don't go on holiday iyswim

Lisa

EllieF
08-08-2008, 06:11 PM
I went for many years not taking any holiday, so whatever you do, make sure you take time off, as it made me ill.
And whatever you do, dont ever feel guilty!
I take 4 weeks a year now, and do not charge during that time. I charge at all other times unless I was closed for sickness, including when families are on holiday and do not require care
Ellie

LisaH
08-08-2008, 07:00 PM
I never used to take time off either and its definately bad for you!! Even carried on working when my mum passed away last year. (very silly thing to do)

I do now take 4 weeks a year (hubbies orders) lol. 2 weeks in summer, one week at xmas and spare days. Always felt guilty taking time off and leaving parents without childcare but then realised that most of them can arrange something else when needed.

We are entitled to some time off and would be crazy not to take it. Even better if you get paid. (I dont):( lol

kindredspirits
09-08-2008, 06:23 PM
i'm not planning on taking paid holiday - i figure a families more likely to take more holiday than me in the first few years i'm working.
i know it sounds silly, but i don't want any comeback - you said you'd take 4 weeks off and you didn't so i'm not paying you?!?!

Chatterbox Childcare
09-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Hi

I am a bit sneaky on this one when filling in contracts. Against the details I write 2 weeks full pay for my holidays and full pay against parents holidays.

This way they can take as much as they like and I get paid and if I want more than 2 weeks then I take it unpaid but make sure you give your notice period.

My parents are used to my hols now and I take 2 paid in August which they also do, 10 day at half term in Feb (unpaid) and in October I write on their invoice if they need me for Xmas or not. I have 14 children and most say they don't, so I only have to give holiday notice to the rest and get paid for some of it as it is parents holidays.

It is all about communication.

Hope that helps

Debbie