PDA

View Full Version : fleas help!!

VeggieSausage
21-12-2015, 08:56 PM
I have frontlined the cats as normal but we seem to have a flea problem, I'm not working thankfully but I've been bitten to shreds.....what does everyone suggest? phone the vet?

loocyloo
21-12-2015, 09:15 PM
Ouch!

I would comb the cats through to be sure they were clear.

You can get flea sprays/bombs for the house but I've never used them. The only time we really had fleas was when we bought our old house and turned the heating on ... Old carpet and an old dog ... flea man came from the council and we removed the carpet! Bit drastic but worked for us!

Hope someone has more advice for you xx

tulip0803
21-12-2015, 09:21 PM
Because it is warm they are possibly living in the house. I am flea bombing the house next week, we aren't being bitten but my cocker has a flea allergy and it upsets him to get bitten once. I treat the dogs & cats the vet recommended Advocate as the gold plated flea treatment (gold plated price by prescription only), only one cat goes out so I treat her with Advocate (an the itchy cocker) and the other 3 cats & the other dog with Advantage. But the house also needs to be treated sometimes as they will jump on and off the animals and live in the carpets/ between floorboards.

DS is an almost vet and he said the house needs treating too - I told him the flea bombs are below the sink. They are also know as flea foggers. I have tried household flea sprays but find the bombs easier - you do have to keep the animals out of the room for a certain length of time.

VeggieSausage
21-12-2015, 09:53 PM
Because it is warm they are possibly living in the house. I am flea bombing the house next week, we aren't being bitten but my cocker has a flea allergy and it upsets him to get bitten once. I treat the dogs & cats the vet recommended Advocate as the gold plated flea treatment (gold plated price by prescription only), only one cat goes out so I treat her with Advocate (an the itchy cocker) and the other 3 cats & the other dog with Advantage. But the house also needs to be treated sometimes as they will jump on and off the animals and live in the carpets/ between floorboards.

DS is an almost vet and he said the house needs treating too - I told him the flea bombs are below the sink. They are also know as flea foggers. I have tried household flea sprays but find the bombs easier - you do have to keep the animals out of the room for a certain length of time.

I have seen on my cat tonight despite being Frontlined last week. I am the only one being bitten!! they must like me....
Do I need to actually take the cats to the vet to get Advocate or can I just call up and go and get it....

alex__17
21-12-2015, 10:46 PM
We had this a few years ago, fleas didn't get killed by frontline so we got advocate, it's expensive and I call vet and buy a prescription from them tjen order on medic animal but easiest to buy direct from them first time and treat asap! I also sprayed all carpets and sofas etc with a flea spray from the vet (began with an i I think!) which stays in the carpet for up to a year even with hoovering and kills live fleas and stops eggs hatching so stops the cycle, by the time it stopped working the advocate was doing its job and we've been clear since.
I was devastated when we had fleas in the house but doing all that sorted it fairly quickly thank goodness and I keep a can of the flea carpet spray in the house just in case although have never needed it since

SYLVIA
21-12-2015, 10:50 PM
We had s problem last December with our cats. Vets said frontline isn't really working so have us advocat which has to come from the vet. He also told me that flea problems are 10% cat and 90% house and said to hoover curtains sofas carpet edges etc and spray everywhere. It did work too

hectors house
22-12-2015, 10:20 AM
If you get lots of bites on your legs then fleas could be in your carpets or in your bed - hoover your mattress thoroughly, put your bedding in a bin bag in the freezer (if you have any room) before washing on a very hot wash. The cans of strong flea spray do say not to use on human bedding but I have in the past sprayed my mattress with it and just made sure I left the window open until all fumes had gone.

tulip0803
22-12-2015, 05:38 PM
I have seen on my cat tonight despite being Frontlined last week. I am the only one being bitten!! they must like me....
Do I need to actually take the cats to the vet to get Advocate or can I just call up and go and get it....

Ring your vets and ask. They may want to check them but it should be a simple prescription issue. But don't forget to do the house too, the vet may recommend something.

Good luck