PDA

View Full Version : maternity leave and notice periods

jackandjill
15-12-2015, 07:52 AM
Hi I'm currently on maternity leave and have been since October I plan on going back to work the end Feb.
One of my parents have decided they will not be returning to me and will be staying with the temporary childminder they are currently using.
My question is does the parent have to give 4 weeks written notice to leave as normal.
Thanks

alex__17
15-12-2015, 08:00 AM
I guess her telling you now is the notice...I don't think I'd expect a paid notice period as they're having to pay the temp childminder.... Someone with more experience will answer I'm sure! I'd get advertising and spreading the word now, maybe get good references off old parents, I find references left on childcare.co.uk are great for business.

moggy
15-12-2015, 03:10 PM
Yes and they have just given you 4-weeks notice (or over 4-weeks?)- yes you do need to get it in writing. No money to pay as they are not paying you at the moment anyway.

k1rstie
15-12-2015, 04:48 PM
I agree with the other two replies. I think the rule that notice cannot be given while one of the parents is on holiday, would not be the case here. I don't think that it would be reasonable to expect the parent to return for a month after your maturity period, for them to 'work' their notice period.

Sadly, this is the risk, while on extended maternity leave. I was approached by a parent for cover while her childminder was going to be on maternity leave. I did not have the space, and the child went to another local childminder. The child is still with her almost a year on, so I guess he never went back to his 'old' childminder.