PDA

View Full Version : Ice

mumofone
14-12-2015, 08:58 PM
I want to explore ice with my mindees (mainly the 4 yr old) and after any tips or advice as the best way to do this, any good experiments or examples of teaching this? Thank you :-)

mama2three
15-12-2015, 12:32 PM
I think the best way is when there is natural ice outside! Then its lovely to explore and experiment with - putting toys in a bucket of water , and then attempting to get them out of the ice the next morning! what happens when we bring them inside , why? ....great for prediction skills and lots and lots of sensory play.
Use coloured water to freeze , or scented ,..will the ice smell?
What happens if I mix salt into the ice?
Freeze ice cube blocks of paint , ice painting is lovely.
Drops of oil water , and coloured ice in the playtray make a lovely experience as the ice melts.
Also a good one for the play tray is rice and ice , lots of phonic rhyming fun .
Make a small world scene with real ice and polar animals .
Get outside and find natural resources to add to water to make ice sculptures .
Superhero rescues ..the ice baddy has trapped something / someone in a block of ice...how can superheros rescue them? ( this is a good one when they have had lots of sensory play to work out predictions and processes.. child may suggest salt , or warming up the ice or even just hitting it with the toy tools!!

mumofone
15-12-2015, 09:17 PM
I think the best way is when there is natural ice outside! Then its lovely to explore and experiment with - putting toys in a bucket of water , and then attempting to get them out of the ice the next morning! what happens when we bring them inside , why? ....great for prediction skills and lots and lots of sensory play.
Use coloured water to freeze , or scented ,..will the ice smell?
What happens if I mix salt into the ice?
Freeze ice cube blocks of paint , ice painting is lovely.
Drops of oil water , and coloured ice in the playtray make a lovely experience as the ice melts.
Also a good one for the play tray is rice and ice , lots of phonic rhyming fun .
Make a small world scene with real ice and polar animals .
Get outside and find natural resources to add to water to make ice sculptures .
Superhero rescues ..the ice baddy has trapped something / someone in a block of ice...how can superheros rescue them? ( this is a good one when they have had lots of sensory play to work out predictions and processes.. child may suggest salt , or warming up the ice or even just hitting it with the toy tools!!

Thanks mama to three, this has given me loads to think about to get going :-)