PDA

View Full Version : Received childcare grant

Jessymax
10-12-2015, 08:20 PM
Hi I have received money for start up grant will I be asked to see recipes for where it's all gone? Or now I've been sent it is that it? Thanks

mumofone
10-12-2015, 09:33 PM
Hi I have received money for start up grant will I be asked to see recipes for where it's all gone? Or now I've been sent it is that it? Thanks

That's it! Enjoy spending!!! :-) x

catswhiskers
10-12-2015, 10:35 PM
I would still keep receipts for what you buy. Did you receive any kind of paperwork with the grant explaining what you had to do?

FussyElmo
11-12-2015, 06:51 AM
Remember it has to go into your accounts as income and then you put the receipts through as well :thumbsup:

mumofone
11-12-2015, 07:45 AM
Oops sorry didn't know all this!

crumpet54
11-12-2015, 09:07 AM

My friend recently got audited for it and she just had to email pics of all her receipts and they were fine. She said it was easy etc.
They don't audit everyone I think it's just random. X

mumofone
11-12-2015, 09:22 AM
My friend recently got audited for it and she just had to email pics of all her receipts and they were fine. She said it was easy etc. They don't audit everyone I think it's just random. X

Ooh Sh!t good job I just learnt this haha!

Simona
11-12-2015, 09:57 AM
I have received many grants when childminding...grants are NOT income but you have to declare them separately...those who have been able to study with a grant know this very well

Your accountant will want to see proof of your grant and then will deal with it in the Tax Return....if you have no accountant then check with anyone qualified to give the right advice on grants.

Grants are not subject to an 'audit'...who will audit them? the LAs? if so that is incorrect because the grant comes from the DfE itself and there are more coming in the future for the EY sector
The only audit we can have is to prove we do not charge for the free entitlement and have to prove how we spend EYPP...nothing else.

A grant of this sort can be spent for 'starting a childcare business'...if it comes from the DfE they will give guidelines

Please check the information that is being given here....I don't think it is correct and it may put new cms off claiming the grant and others from applying for new current initiatives

If you are confused please read the Gov.uk on grants

https://www.gov.uk/business-finance-explained/grants

Simona
11-12-2015, 10:01 AM

You must have applied for the grant...what does the small print say?...keep the original application filed away in your portfolio

Check with an accountant or similarly qualified person how to deal with the grant.

crumpet54
11-12-2015, 10:07 AM
I have received many grants when childminding...grants are NOT income but you have to declare them separately...those who have been able to study with a grant know this very well

Your accountant will want to see proof of your grant and then will deal with it in the Tax Return....if you have no accountant then check with anyone qualified to give the right advice on grants.

Grants are not subject to an 'audit'...who will audit them? the LAs? if so that is incorrect because the grant comes from the DfE itself and there are more coming in the future for the EY sector
The only audit we can have is to prove we do not charge for the free entitlement and have to prove how we spend EYPP...nothing else.

A grant of this sort can be spent for 'starting a childcare business'...if it comes from the DfE they will give guidelines

Please check the information that is being given here....I don't think it is correct and it may put new cms off claiming the grant and others from applying for new current initiatives

If you are confused please read the Gov.uk on grants

https://www.gov.uk/business-finance-explained/grants

The people that issued the grant called for the audit sorry if I was unclear.
It was a start up grant to cover the costs of becoming a childminder

Simona
11-12-2015, 10:22 AM
The people that issued the grant called for the audit sorry if I was unclear.
It was a start up grant to cover the costs of becoming a childminder

Thank you for the reply
Yes that would be the DfE as the start up grant comes from their budget
Like most grants there would have been a form to fill in and other requirements to establish the person is starting a childcare business

more info here

Childcare Business Grants Scheme - Home page (http://www.childcarebusinessgrants.dcms.gov.uk/)

Jessymax
11-12-2015, 07:47 PM
don't plan on having an accountant if your organised and understand tax return etc u don't need one. have filed paperwork and received something back from them today but nothing of any importance will obviously keep all receipts in general. thanks all! x

Simona
12-12-2015, 09:01 AM
don't plan on having an accountant if your organised and understand tax return etc u don't need one. have filed paperwork and received something back from them today but nothing of any importance will obviously keep all receipts in general. thanks all! x

Thanks for your reply Jessymax...good to read you have sorted this out.
having an accountant is not a requirement and it is neither a question of being organized nor understanding Tax Returns....that was not really the question!

Every cm has a choice in how they deal with personal/their business financial matters but we are not trained nor can ever understand the complicated and ever changing world of budgets, personal finances or self employment benefits including grants and loans.

I do have an accountant and would not give that up for anything in the world even though I am organized and have ran 2 businesses for over 20 years
I can see how a tax return can easily be filled ...or is it?.....at the same time I do not expect my accountants to be 'qualified and experienced' in the ins and out of childcare...they listen to me when I inform them of changes as I listen to their expert and knowledgeable advice on financial matters.
There is also a difference between an accountant and tax advisor which accountants can also be.

My comment was 'check with those' who are qualified to give a reply to your question as you appeared not to understand about your grant and what you would be asked to show.

Good luck with it as I am sure it will be small but a helpful step for your small business!

I also would like to make one correction to my statement...the Grant for Start-up is not from the DfE although Nicky Morgan has publicised and endorsed it ...it comes from the Equalities Office as Morgan is also the Minister for Women and Equalities ...believe it or not ;)

Jessymax
14-12-2015, 09:37 AM
the way you speak to people is very degrading maybe you should re think as I have seen many of your blunt and rude replies that get peoples backs up all over this forum! wow!

Simona
14-12-2015, 10:21 AM
the way you speak to people is very degrading maybe you should re think as I have seen many of your blunt and rude replies that get peoples backs up all over this forum! wow!

I have explained that I am not rude or blunt just direct....I am not sure which style we need to adopt when stating facts.
maybe you could explain what is 'degrading' when discussing financial matters or other issues and providing facts?

I think you have received many good replies but have taken mine in a different way...it happens.