PDA

View Full Version : Clarification re. Whats written down

mumofone
09-12-2015, 09:33 AM
I'm afraid I'm still confused as to what must be written down and what doesn't have to be.

I currently write down-
- starting points for each child
- Observations in LJs
- Termly reports and next steps in an email only
- Planning is just a yearly calendar and ideas folder - no play plans, no individual planning written down or anything
- evidence of working with other setting (emails and "minutes" of any meetings)

Is this sufficient or should I be doing more?

Thank you :-)

mama2three
09-12-2015, 12:48 PM
i always think that it depends on you as a person , and under the pressure of an inspection whether you would be confident to explain your planning etc to the inspector - or whether you'd get all flustered!

mumofone
09-12-2015, 01:13 PM
i always think that it depends on you as a person , and under the pressure of an inspection whether you would be confident to explain your planning etc to the inspector - or whether you'd get all flustered!

Thanks nama2three, can I be marked down for not driving stuff down though ie. Planning ?

moggy
09-12-2015, 01:30 PM
Thanks nama2three, can I be marked down for not driving stuff down though ie. Planning ?

There is no answer for that- if an inspector is satisfied with your verbal explanation of how you plan for your children then you will be fine.
If the inspector 'likes' written planning then they may well say they want to see that, they shouldn't literally say 'you need to do written planning' because that is not a requirement in the EYFS, but inspectors are able to find all kinds of 'Ofsted-speak' to justify why they think someone should be a particular grade!
I wouldn't worry about what Ofsted think- read the EYFS, be confident in your own methods, think about how you would explain under the pressure of an inspection ho you plan, how you teach, how you support children's needs etc etc.
I have rather a low opinion of (some) inspectors, having read so many reports and heard so many inspection-stories- if you continually try to 'please' Ofsted you will go crazy, stress yourself out and not be doing your best or the best for your children. Do it your way and have confidence in your own skills.

mumofone
09-12-2015, 10:03 PM
There is no answer for that- if an inspector is satisfied with your verbal explanation of how you plan for your children then you will be fine.
If the inspector 'likes' written planning then they may well say they want to see that, they shouldn't literally say 'you need to do written planning' because that is not a requirement in the EYFS, but inspectors are able to find all kinds of 'Ofsted-speak' to justify why they think someone should be a particular grade!
I wouldn't worry about what Ofsted think- read the EYFS, be confident in your own methods, think about how you would explain under the pressure of an inspection ho you plan, how you teach, how you support children's needs etc etc.
I have rather a low opinion of (some) inspectors, having read so many reports and heard so many inspection-stories- if you continually try to 'please' Ofsted you will go crazy, stress yourself out and not be doing your best or the best for your children. Do it your way and have confidence in your own skills.

Thanks Moggy, this post couldn't have talked to me anymore than it did! :-) This is what I was in a dilemma about because, as you say, its not a requirement of the EYFS to have written planning but, as you say, inspectors seem to have a way of wording these things which could make or break your inspection! Thank you :-)

alex__17
09-12-2015, 10:16 PM
I don't write planning down apart from next steps approx termly when I do a progress report and look in detail at each area of learning. I just don't have the time to write it all down with a young family of my own, so my planning is in my head, I plan for the children and what they would like to do depending on their interests at the time, and on the time of year weather etc on a daily/weekly basis.
I don't know if this is right or wrong or what an inspector would want to see as I have my grading inspection a year and a half ago and things have changed since then but at the end of the day I do as much paperwork as I can without compromising on my family life which will always be more important than an Ofsted inspectors preference.
My parents are all happy that their children are settled and happy with me, there comes a time where you have to do the most you can paperwork wise but I find there aren't enough hours in the day to do all the things everyone else does! I wish I could and I'm quite an organised and efficient person but you could spent hours and hours doing paperwork and it can't all be necessary

FussyElmo
10-12-2015, 06:52 AM
As mama2three said if you don't write things down if you cant bring all those details to mind in an inspection that's when you would get marked down.

It all depends on what sort of person you are and remember that will change in an inspection. I like to think Im quite a confident person but during an inspection when I have a million and one things to think about its nice to fall back on things written down it can focus you.

I like to have a basic written weekly plan but its is constantly adapting to the children situation I wouldn't be able to show that if it was written down :)

mumofone
10-12-2015, 08:28 AM
As mama2three said if you don't write things down if you cant bring all those details to mind in an inspection that's when you would get marked down. It all depends on what sort of person you are and remember that will change in an inspection. I like to think Im quite a confident person but during an inspection when I have a million and one things to think about its nice to fall back on things written down it can focus you. I like to have a basic written weekly plan but its is constantly adapting to the children situation I wouldn't be able to show that if it was written down :)

Thanks fussy, I was wondering whether I might rather than write down all my planning actually write down what I do as an explanation for the inspector instead, if that makes sense?

Simona
10-12-2015, 09:51 AM
Mumofone....I totally understand your anxiety over these things but you need to instil some confidence in yourself and make sure you can challenge any inspectors on the day....each reply here will vary

Also inspections come once in a cycle...documentation is not just for inspectors and what you need on the day...it is also for many other accountability purposes in that cycle...same as for your business when you record your expense during the year not just when it is time to submit your tax return.

Providers can call Ofsted itself if they feel an inspection is not going the right way but if you prepare yourself by being familiar with the guidance that will help....read each line, highlight, scribble on it and have it there in full view so the inspector knows you are prepared and well read.

Inspectors have clear 'directives'...let's call them that..... on how they must write inspection reports....these have been drawn to avoid individual ways and styles and it is the result of the sector raising this complaint in a single voice via OBC and other means
Providers are still reporting on this
many inspectors are now practising providers so they 'should' know what they are looking for but we must not drop our guard until EY inspections are back in-house

Inspectors also have clear guidance on what they must observe...teaching overall... judge and report on that...even the style of writing has been well defined in the guidance
Inspectors are far from perfect but I think they have been given a clear message to follow Ofsted and not their own judgements.
Is Ofsted not asking providers to report any concerns they have over individual judgement?
that we must do in order to break this cycle of anxiety...reading thousands of reports is useful but it is not going to solve the situation especially now that reports are so short.

Written documentation....you have focussed on observations, assessment, LJs and planning....I was not clear if this question includes EHC Plans as those must be in writing and include working with other /professionals/agencies and the parents.

Evidence of working with other settings is easily obtained via well established documentation with LAs or any you have devised yourself but that question must include working with EY teams, teachers, Health Visitors, Occupational Therapists, Portage, S&L Therapists and 'key workers' in the SEND team and, in future, anyone who you may share 30 hours of childcare with....all this has to be in writing

Written docs include recording giving medicine, accidents/incidents and any Child protection issues which you must record in the child's personal file in appropriate documentation especially when you have 'visible' signs that trigger your concerns ...I am sure those were included in your question

Children's data must be recorded as per EYFS and for 'free' childcare census and EYPP and all that jazz.

It is true that you must have evidence but not all up to you as some 'requirements' are very clearly asked for in EYFS...I am confused by what you have stated in your original post

Observations are not required to be written down but you need them somewhere to guide your assessment of progress
Reports on progress...a short summary as EYFS says ... must be written down but not quite sure why you say via email? frequency is up to you and parents to agree on
Parents contribution in any report is also required
2 year old check must be written down
Planning and play plans are not required to be written down because you will do that when you establish the next steps and look up the opportunities you will give your children...not sure what a 'year calendar' is and ideas folder? maybe you could clarify but ideas can be found in DM or other literature

Play plans have to be for each individual child... if you do them... not an overall strategy for all children.

What you do and which system you use can be part of your Ofsted SEF which is optional and CPPD...that is plenty of evidence for any inspector.