PDA

View Full Version : Best tablet to use for me and for minded chn. EG ipad?

traceym01
08-12-2015, 02:48 PM
I am moving over to Tapestry (online learning journals) in the New Year so are looking to invest in a new tablet for me and the kids.
I want it when I need it to use Tapestry, but I also want to be able to 'lock' it down so the minded chn can use it safely when I don't need it.
We are only talking 2-4 years of age here ( already have a kindle fire lcoked down for the older chn) so I already know for that age range the applications are better for the ipad, but is it easy to restrict usage to certain apps and then in reverse, get it back to normal use quickly when I need it?
Am I better off with a Galaxy Tab with Android as they are certainly cheaper!

Thanks all.

catswhiskers
08-12-2015, 11:29 PM
Hi, just bumping this up for you and hope you get an answer!

I'm old school i.e. have an old phone, so kids don't get access to anything i.e. phones, ipads etc. but it works for me.

Simona
09-12-2015, 10:03 AM
tracey...the first thing I would consider is 'your needs' as you are going to use the tablet for work so this is a financial investment for your business.
The children will come second as they will have plenty of opportunities to use this type of IT elsewhere.

Once you have decided what is best for you then you can allow the children to use your device...under your supervision and according to your rules in terms of how long and what they can use it for!

I allowed the kids to use Ipad, laptop and PC and never had a problem

Good luck!

loocyloo
09-12-2015, 10:03 AM
I have a Samsung galaxy tablet. I don't use tapestry but do use 2simple.

We occasionally watch YouTube or cbeebies things in it or very occasionally play games but other than that we don't use them at all, as pretty much all of mine have them at home and we're too busy playing!

AliceK
09-12-2015, 03:53 PM
I have a Samsung galaxy tablet. I don't use tapestry but do use 2simple.

We occasionally watch YouTube or cbeebies things in it or very occasionally play games but other than that we don't use them at all, as pretty much all of mine have them at home and we're too busy playing!

Same here. The children don't get to use PC devices I'm afraid. Sometimes we will all watch something usually on YouTube and sometimes they will watch what my own children are doing on their tablets . They all have access to tablets at home and I don't feel they need any screen time of any kind here. They don't even watch TV here. They just play.

xx