PDA

View Full Version : Calpol

faydin
08-12-2015, 08:29 AM
Hi everyone, does calpol have to be prescribed by their GP? Do I have to supply calpol for the emergencies?

moggy
08-12-2015, 09:04 AM
http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/general-childminding-chat/137315-do-you-keep-medication-minded-children.html

THis was discussed at length recently. As usual, no 100% clear answers but lots of opinions and you need to decide what your policy is- and read the EYFS carefully so you know how to defend your decision if ever questioned. Note that 'prescribed' does not only been by a GP- it can be a pharmacist/dentist etc- read the EYFS it is all in there.

watford wizz
08-12-2015, 09:06 AM
I would also check what your insurance covers x

Simona
08-12-2015, 09:09 AM
Hi everyone, does calpol have to be prescribed by their GP? Do I have to supply calpol for the emergencies?

No!! Calpol can be bought by parents over the counter.

You can administer it ONLY with parental permission and if that Calpol is for that specific child.

We are not required to have a supply at home 'just in case'....only give medicine to children who you have permission to give to and it is THEIR OWN medicine.
Then record date, dosage, time and reason for administering...sign it and ask parents to countersign at night!

You can keep medicines for each child at home...safely stored in your First Aid cabinet... if the parents provide you with it but you have to label the bottle with child's name, DoB and expiry date...you can't give that medicine to any other child....only to the child whose name is on the box

You are insured to administer medicine as long as you follow the EYFS Welfare Requirements....and you have a clear and well written policy on medicine.
Some children require medicine to stay alive...see anaphylactic shock and Epipen.. while other children need medicine when not well.

EYFS is a bit poor in terminology on this topic but those requirements have been in place since 2008 !