PDA

View Full Version : WHY

Jessymax
07-12-2015, 04:11 PM
Do people organise to come and look round then just not turn up or let u know ?! It's like I have nothing better to do than sit and wait for a no show grr

chris goodyear
07-12-2015, 05:59 PM
Yes it does happen, just rude and I wouldn't want to work for them in that case.

redtiger21
07-12-2015, 06:51 PM
And in my experience, people who have done this or similar have then found themselves struggling for childcare months down the line and have phoned me again to ask for childcare! "I'm so sorry, all of my vacancies are filled."!!!!!

Mouse
07-12-2015, 06:58 PM
I've learned not to stress about it and look on the bright side - at least I have a spotlessly tidy house :laughing:

I always make sure I have a mobile phone number for any prospective families. I text them the day before for confirmation that they are still coming. Sometimes they don't reply, so I assume they're not coming. I still get everything ready, just in case, and I'm usually a bit surprised if they do turn up!

If they've said they're coming, but don't turn up, I send one message saying sorry they couldn't make our appointment and to get in touch if they would like to rearrange. Sometimes there is a genuine reason why they haven't turned up and haven't let you know, so I do like to give them the benefit of the doubt. If they make another appointment and don't turn up again though I don't offer another chance. They do sometimes get in touch again, full of (false) apologies and excuses, so at that point I tell them the space has gone.

FussyElmo
08-12-2015, 06:19 AM
I actually believe it doesn't occur to people that we will be sitting around waiting in for them.

Unfortunately it is a downside of the job we work from home so people don't think they are letting us down if they don't turn up - well we are home anyway.

k1rstie
08-12-2015, 06:26 AM
I can remember when I first started, it happening, more than once. I remember getting really upset.

I think that if they can't be bothered to turn up or to contact you, then they are not the sort of parents you want anyway.

alex__17
08-12-2015, 07:11 AM
I had that when I first started, rearranged my weekend cancelling and changing plans as she could only come at a certain time and needed care for the following week, she cancelled as she felt ill. I heard nothing so assumed she'd found alternative care and being ill was an excuse, a month later get a call begging for a meeting as she again needed immediate care.
Children came and trashed my house, she wanted to sign contracts there and then and I didn't have the confidence to say no (i was going to 'fill' the space and turn her down!).
Kids ran wild, hit my son ignored me, didn't care if in time out, ran towards road because it was funny, got out of car seat while I was driving etc, mum was late to collect, 3 hours late once! Late paying, didn't send nappies for her potty trained 2 year old who couldn't care less about using the toilet...the list was endless!!!
Looking back I wouldn't be surprised if she'd been given notice, needed immediate care, found someone else then they have notice and I was called back.

Some no shows and cancelled appointments you're better off that they never turned up!!!!