PDA

View Full Version : Pretend snow

mumofone
06-12-2015, 10:31 PM
Has anyone made this, what did you use and was it any good?! Thanks! :-)

Evie125
07-12-2015, 07:22 AM
Hi mumofone, it all depends how much mess you want...! If I'm making a story tray in the living room I use white felt (looks ok, children recognise it's meant to be snow but that's about it. You can mix flour with baby oil, bit more realistic , smells nice and can be shaped in to 'snowballs' etc or for the best results a buy a tub of 'Insta snow'- just add water and it turns into something quite realistic that even feels cold! X

Simona
07-12-2015, 08:46 AM
Hi mumofone, it all depends how much mess you want...! If I'm making a story tray in the living room I use white felt (looks ok, children recognise it's meant to be snow but that's about it. You can mix flour with baby oil, bit more realistic , smells nice and can be shaped in to 'snowballs' etc or for the best results a buy a tub of 'Insta snow'- just add water and it turns into something quite realistic that even feels cold! X

Uh...that sounds very interesting!!...messy too !
I always thought 'pretend snow' is the one that looks like powder, you add a bit of water to and ...it grows and expands as if by magic!! I love it!

What a fantastic invention that is...hours and hours of fun!...and for adults too!

mumofone
07-12-2015, 01:00 PM
I saw one that was hair conditioner and something else...I can't remember what...I don't really want to buy anything new for it if I can avoid it.
I was hoping someone had a tried and tested one with ingredients I happen to have to hand haha!! :-)

watford wizz
07-12-2015, 01:39 PM
Hair conditioner and cornflour snow here X great fun but check for allergies. We also did cornflower and shower wash makes lovely white bubbles when you wash your hands with it x

mumofone
07-12-2015, 01:55 PM
Hair conditioner and cornflour snow here X great fun but check for allergies. We also did cornflower and shower wash makes lovely white bubbles when you wash your hands with it x

Oh fab, got both of those! dyou know the quantities you need to use? X

watford wizz
07-12-2015, 02:45 PM
We didn't use set recipe just mixed together adding bit of conditioner/shower gel made nice consistency x

Tealady
07-12-2015, 09:46 PM
I only have a small tray, so used desiccated coconut. Much cheaper from the world foods aisle rather than the baking session. Oh and it's totally edible as I have a 13mth old who eats everything :)

Simona
08-12-2015, 09:26 AM
Just a couple of alarm bell going off in my head...be careful about using shower gel and conditioner....Eczemas alert!!!...check with parents

I am a bit confused here...I think what is being described below is 'gloop' which is a fluid mixture ...a bit like mixing cornflour and water.

Magic snow is rather different...it is the one you add water to and it expands...it is pretend but very similar in texture as it is cold
The 2 are very different but both provide great sensory learning and fun!!

Magic Snow | Instant Snow - Just add Water!: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Snow-Instant-Just-Water/dp/B005O0O3QS)

Playing with Gloop | Learning 4 Kids (http://www.learning4kids.net/2012/05/24/playing-with-gloop/)

natlou82
08-12-2015, 12:22 PM
Simona how many tubes of magic snow would you recommend? I'm thinking for my Christmas party.

Simona
08-12-2015, 01:21 PM
Simona how many tubes of magic snow would you recommend? I'm thinking for my Christmas party.

This will give you an idea ...a small tube will produce quite a lot.
If you leave it in a tray after play...something similar to a cat litter tray... it will dry so add more water and use over and over again
Try not to buy anything too cheap as you will end up throwing it away as it may be poor quality, otherwise a well known brand will last for ages.
Keeps kids engaged for hours!

Magic Snow | Tobar Wholesalers | Tobar (http://www.tobar.co.uk/magic-snow)

Instant Snow (http://www.bakerross.co.uk/instant-snow?gclid=CN_SgqatzMkCFamx2wodAqoJPA)

loocyloo
08-12-2015, 01:33 PM
This will give you an idea ...a small tube will produce quite a lot.
If you leave it in a tray after play...something similar to a cat litter tray... it will dry so add more water and use over and over again
Try not to buy anything too cheap as you will end up throwing it away as it may be poor quality, otherwise a well known brand will last for ages.
Keeps kids engaged for hours!

Magic Snow | Tobar Wholesalers | Tobar (http://www.tobar.co.uk/magic-snow)

Instant Snow (http://www.bakerross.co.uk/instant-snow?gclid=CN_SgqatzMkCFamx2wodAqoJPA)

I put a small amount in a baby food jar ( about half full ) at least 3 years ago, probably 4, and sealed the lid .... there is probably about 1/3 a jar full and it still looks like snow! its in my Christmas/winter treasure box!

I only use the 'real' pretend snow. I have even put it in the freezer or fridge to make it cold before now!

mumofone
08-12-2015, 02:08 PM
We didn't use set recipe just mixed together adding bit of conditioner/shower gel made nice consistency x

Cool, I'll give it a go!!! :-) x

natlou82
08-12-2015, 02:16 PM
Love it I will order :-)

Daisy1956
09-12-2015, 11:40 AM
Simona this sounds great. When you say it expands do you mean like water beads. Would love to try the snow but concerned about what ages it is best for.

Simona
09-12-2015, 01:02 PM
Simona this sounds great. When you say it expands do you mean like water beads. Would love to try the snow but concerned about what ages it is best for.

Yes just like water beads but with one huge difference...water beads expand slowly over many hours while a scoop of magic snow is instantenous!
If you put a teaspoon of snow in a child's capped hands it will cause them to giggle because it 'tickles'...or so they say.

Magic snow is safe and only buy brand where this is stated....it is also easier to clean up if spilled on the floor
I have used it for all ages as it is very sensory and 'calming'
Children have added small world toys, diggers, animals and all sorts ....one child in particular was keen to 'save' a person buried in the snow using dogs for rescue!
and I have to say the engagement and concentration was amazing to watch...this play covers all 7 areas of learning too!

Hope you like it as much as the kids!

Daisy1956
09-12-2015, 09:13 PM
Thanks Simona I am going to order some, I think I will like it too. I will follow your link earlier to get right stuff.:-)