PDA

View Full Version : Grounds for Ofsted variation?

butterfly
06-08-2008, 08:56 PM
I have a little boy on my books who's 15mths old who i mind for occassionally. his mum has recently got a job in the new tescos opening near us and has to go in for training for 3 days a week for the next 3 weeks. i'm registered for 1 child under 5 as i have 2 of my own kids but the mum asked me tonight whether it would be possible for me to have her oldest who's 3 as well. it would probably be 9-3 3 days a week for 3 weeks.
do you think ofsted would grant a variation for this? what will i say when i phone up? how much info do i need to give on the phone? do you think there's any chance of getting this for next week?

i'm a qualified teacher so i have lots of experience with young children but i've not been registered long. i could also say that my husband will be on holiday from work for some of the days so would be around as well and i wouldn't have any other mindees during the days.

Angela234
06-08-2008, 09:01 PM
I'm not sure how it works to get one so quick i phone then have to put it all in writting mine have taken about 10 - 14 days. There must be a way of getting one sooner perhaps someone else can help you

Angela

miffy
06-08-2008, 09:04 PM
I've never applied for a variation but I think you have to put everything in writing - ages of children, hours, days etc and then detail how you will be able to meet each child's needs.

Miffy xx

Minstrel
06-08-2008, 09:04 PM
I think you would have good grounds too as it would be continuinity of care for siblings.

Chatterbox Childcare
06-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Hi

Put it in writing and send it via email and follow it up with registered post ASAP.

I had mine within 48 hours but you must keep on at them, otherwise you will stay at the bottom of the pile.

D :laughing: ebbie

butterfly
06-08-2008, 10:17 PM
I have just emailed them and will post a letter tomorrow morning. I will ring them on Friday morning to hopefully get an answer! unfortunately i need it for monday so it could be tight! i suppose i could offer to mind the children at their house in the meantime to get over the problem as she's desperate for the care!

miffy
07-08-2008, 07:27 AM
Good luck - let us know what Ofsted say

Miffy xx

kindredspirits
07-08-2008, 07:58 AM
i'd ring them today as well - tell them the letters in the post but it might get the ball rolling!

good luck!

katickles
07-08-2008, 08:02 AM
Sounds like you have it covered now, but wanted to say that I hope they grant the variation. TBH I can't see why they wouldn't.

x

madasahatter
07-08-2008, 04:50 PM
Last September when I last needed a variation (due to the wacky intake system at our local primary) I found Ofsted really jobsworth. I sent in my request in writing in real detail, full timetables etc and how I would manage the extra child plus all parents signatures confirming they were aware and happy for me to seek the variation and they sent it back telling me I needed to fill in their official forms (which they forgot to include so I had to phone up for them). When the form arrived it didn't need anywhere near the amount of detail I had given them in my written request, and they approved it anyway:rolleyes: I've had 4 variations altogether, usually to cover existing children during school intake time but also for siblings. I'll be applying for another variation in Nov so I can have one of my mindees baby sister in Jan. Needless to say she will be spending 1 day a week with me from sept to xmas so that she is an existing child as well as a sibling. I have been looking after her older brother 3 days a week for the last 18 months and have continued to mind him whilst mum is on maternity leave. In september I am going to have him for 2 days and baby sis 1 day, just to keep things going and get the baby settled.:thumbsup: