PDA

View Full Version : Attention spans!

mumofone
02-12-2015, 03:23 PM
I know I've been discussing with a few people about "quick focus activities" that I was doing before (but hadn't thought to think what I was doing and why if that makes sense!) based on Childrens short attention spans.
I'm confident it's proven that pre schoolers only have certain length of attention spans, the primary school kids a bit longer then secondary school a bit longer etc but wondered if anyone has any evidence or literature that support this? I've looked on Google but can't quite what i want from a reliable source! :-)

Simona
03-12-2015, 09:26 AM
I know I've been discussing with a few people about "quick focus activities" that I was doing before (but hadn't thought to think what I was doing and why if that makes sense!) based on Childrens short attention spans.
I'm confident it's proven that pre schoolers only have certain length of attention spans, the primary school kids a bit longer then secondary school a bit longer etc but wondered if anyone has any evidence or literature that support this? I've looked on Google but can't quite what i want from a reliable source! :-)

Maybe you could read about attention span or concentration...there are many reliable sources you can look at or do you mean literature that is 'peer reviewed'

Just to clarify to avoid confusion....There are conditions which prevent even older children from focussing for more than a very short time.

Attention span also depends on the stimulation provided to children...if activities are too easy or too difficult children will walk away...but that is not because they have short attention span.

Good luck!

mama2three
03-12-2015, 11:28 AM
You're right its hard to find anything definitive..I was always taught to go by the childs age plus one. After a quick google there are as many different ideas as sites! A couple say 3-5 minutes per year of childs age.

I think what we need to focus on is the individual child , we all know some 2 year olds can focus for far longer than others the same age. Then when you add in the fact that the activity offered needs to really capture their interest to hold their attention ..in what it is , in the way it is delivered ...and all the other variable factors such as group , comfort , noise levels , other distractions , time of day etc..... its obvious that there isnt a way of using a quick formula to tell us how long!

Simona
04-12-2015, 09:20 AM
some helpful websites here...there are truly too many to post here!

Children and Age-Appropriate Attention Spans (http://www.speechtherapycentres.com/blog/2013/03/05/children-and-age-appropriate-attention-spans/)

Average Attention Span in Children (http://www.littleonesreadingresource.com/attention-span-in-children.html)

and son me on ADHD...if that fits in

Average Attention Span by Age | ADD & ADHD Questions (http://day2dayparenting.com/qa-normal-attention-span/)

bunyip
04-12-2015, 06:02 PM
I struggle a lot with my attention sp

;)

mumofone
04-12-2015, 07:48 PM
I struggle a lot with my attention sp ;)

I wouldn't be so bold as to guess your age bunyip ;-) but I think you're over 4!

bunyip
05-12-2015, 11:18 AM
I wouldn't be so bold as to guess your age bunyip ;-) but I think you're over 4!

That's where you and my analyst disagree. :D

mumofone
05-12-2015, 06:57 PM
some helpful websites here...there are truly too many to post here!

Children and Age-Appropriate Attention Spans (http://www.speechtherapycentres.com/blog/2013/03/05/children-and-age-appropriate-attention-spans/)

Average Attention Span in Children (http://www.littleonesreadingresource.com/attention-span-in-children.html)

and son me on ADHD...if that fits in

Average Attention Span by Age | ADD & ADHD Questions (http://day2dayparenting.com/qa-normal-attention-span/)

Thanks Simona, these are the ones my search threw up too but they are not from any well known source if you know what I mean. It doesnt matter I was just interested as to whether such a document existed by a recognisable body. Thanks for looking :-)

Simona
05-12-2015, 09:41 PM
Thanks Simona, these are the ones my search threw up too but they are not from any well known source if you know what I mean. It doesnt matter I was just interested as to whether such a document existed by a recognisable body. Thanks for looking :-)

Mmmmm....my feeling is that those website have a good basic child development reference

If you feel they are not what you are looking for maybe you could research Prof Tina Bruce, Carolyn Meggit and Marion Dowling....you are bound to find the information on 'attention span' you are seeking...the most important aspect is age and what we should expect in terms of concentration...also look at CoEL!
Good luck in your search!

redtiger21
06-12-2015, 10:49 AM
Out of interest, are you studying child development, mumofone? Or are you just interested? Not that it matters, it was just an unusual thread and I'm being nosy! :)

mumofone
06-12-2015, 11:00 AM
Out of interest, are you studying child development, mumofone? Or are you just interested? Not that it matters, it was just an unusual thread and I'm being nosy! :)

Lol no I'm not! :-)
I just like to drill down into everything I encounter and like facts and documents to back everything I do up! X

redtiger21
06-12-2015, 11:04 AM
Fair enough! Hope you find what you're looking for- the internet is fantastic but enormous isn't it! :)

Simona
08-12-2015, 09:03 AM
Lol no I'm not! :-)
I just like to drill down into everything I encounter and like facts and documents to back everything I do up! X

Just to clarify so to avoid confusion Mumofone....your last reply has triggered a few questions for me.

Even if you are not studying Child Development all you do in childcare and education is 'based' on CD
EYFS...observations and assessment, LJs etc etc.
Development Matters is a mixture of theories and models from all over the world....Reggio, HighScope, Montessori...they are all there and very factual!
I do tend to signpost to DM a lot because that would be my first point of reference for any ideas or inspirations for activities or children's interests...then leading me to dig further if needed.

The new EYE Level 3 is based on CD too...ask any NNEB whose knowledge of CD is rather extensive....I know there are a few around in this forum!

The links provided below are good ones and based on facts...I do tend to skim read them and use old tried and tested ones.
The 3 names provided below are top experts...all still alive!!

Prof Tina Bruce...many have heard her speak and read her fabulous books...my library is full of them, maybe you have come across her 12 Features of Play?
Carolyn Meggits...wrote a wonderful CD book with Tina Bruce
Marion Dowling...fabulous writer and speaker....a tiny little person in stature but full of energy and inspirational
All of them still alive and influencing CD.

mumofone
08-12-2015, 09:13 AM
Just to clarify so to avoid confusion Mumofone....your last reply has triggered a few questions for me. Even if you are not studying Child Development all you do in childcare and education is 'based' on CD EYFS...observations and assessment, LJs etc etc. Development Matters is a mixture of theories and models from all over the world....Reggio, HighScope, Montessori...they are all there and very factual! I do tend to signpost to DM a lot because that would be my first point of reference for any ideas or inspirations for activities or children's interests...then leading me to dig further if needed. The new EYE Level 3 is based on CD too...ask any NNEB whose knowledge of CD is rather extensive....I know there are a few around in this forum! The links provided below are good ones and based on facts...I do tend to skim read them and use old tried and tested ones. The 3 names provided below are top experts...all still alive!! Prof Tina Bruce...many have heard her speak and read her fabulous books...my library is full of them, maybe you have come across her 12 Features of Play? Carolyn Meggits...wrote a wonderful CD book with Tina Bruce Marion Dowling...fabulous writer and speaker....a tiny little person in stature but full of energy and inspirational All of them still alive and influencing CD.

Sorry Simona what's CD?!

Kiddleywinks
08-12-2015, 02:06 PM
Sorry Simona what's CD?!

Child Development x

mumofone
08-12-2015, 02:10 PM
Child Development x

Lol oops - thank you!!!! Need to swot up on my acronyms ;-) x