PDA

View Full Version : Recognizing letters

emma_lubylu
01-12-2015, 10:31 AM
Hi,
When doing an obs, one of my mindees started pointing out and saying some letter when she was playing with a puzzle. What area and stage would this go in in DM?
Thanks!:)

sarah707
01-12-2015, 07:42 PM
We use early years Outcomes to record progress - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/237249/Early_Years_Outcomes.pdf

It is not a tick list - you don't need an observation for every statement and you don't need to link every observation to the statements.

Your observation links to literacy - to extend learning you might want to look at some letters and sounds phase 1 activities - Letters and Sounds Phase 1 Introduction (http://www.letters-and-sounds.com/phase-1.html)

Hth :D

emma_lubylu
01-12-2015, 09:04 PM
Thank you Sarah,
I link my obs to development matters which looks very similar. It does say the same in literacy but with it being under 40-60m I guess I didn't look properly, the mindee is only 24months!!! It's the same with numeracy, she can recognize all numbers to ten on a clock face and on our number stackers, but this also falls under 40-60m :huh:

Simona
02-12-2015, 09:47 AM
Thank you Sarah,
I link my obs to development matters which looks very similar. It does say the same in literacy but with it being under 40-60m I guess I didn't look properly, the mindee is only 24months!!! It's the same with numeracy, she can recognize all numbers to ten on a clock face and on our number stackers, but this also falls under 40-60m :huh:

Development Matters was created a long time ago...it is based on child development
EYO was created by the DfE ito put emphasis on outcomes and help inspectors who could not navigate DM because it was too much for some inspectors!

DM has 3 areas that will influence you...Enabling Environments, Positive Relationships and the Unique Child

EYO has done away with the first 2 and just has the outcomes....unfortunately that is like making a cake without the main ingredients and could complicate matters for those new to childcare but we have a choice

This forum does not believe that EYO is a tick list...unfortunately the EY sector widely believes so....we can choose which is best DM or EYO?
Most providers continue to use DM and this is what is used in all studies and qualification courses.
Inspectors use EYO to judge outcomes

I think what you are describing in your child is an 'emerging' skill...give support and opportunity and let the child develop until you know it is time to record it as an achievement!

hectors house
02-12-2015, 10:40 AM
I sometimes completely disagree with the ages they put for some statements - so I often link it to the statement and then put that I disagree with the age bracket, so parents don't think their child is necessarily a genius or behind.

emma_lubylu
02-12-2015, 01:56 PM
I sometimes completely disagree with the ages they put for some statements - so I often link it to the statement and then put that I disagree with the age bracket, so parents don't think their child is necessarily a genius or behind.

Couldn't agree more!

moggy
02-12-2015, 02:26 PM
Couldn't agree more!

Exactly- I have a 21mth old accurately and spontaneously reading numerals 1-10, but there are other statements in the 40-60mth that this child is no where near. You need to look overall at the age/stage which is the 'best fit' for the child from reading all the statements and not trying to tick individual statements.

There will always be children who do amazing things way ahead of when they 'should', but DM/EYO is one-size-fits-all and of course it can not cover what every single child might do at every age.

Simona
02-12-2015, 04:22 PM
That is why through observations we decide if a child's achievements are emerging, expected or exceeding....age and stage vary in each child's development hence the Unique child.
Take walking as an example....some children do at 12 months, some at 14 others much later
It is not a question of ticking but 'tracking' their progress

Unless this has changed in the last few years I have not heard of any other way we should look at different ways children achieve