PDA

View Full Version : Teaching the EYFS outdoors

mumofone
30-11-2015, 08:42 PM
How do you teach the 7 areas of learning outdoors?

blue bear
30-11-2015, 08:58 PM
Do you mean specific ideas?
Maths - counting jumps in puddles, looking at door numbers on the way to school, mark making in mud sand etc/writing numbers. Looking at shapes In The environment, roundabouts, windows doors, shapes of buckets.....

That sort of thing?

samb
30-11-2015, 09:02 PM
In many ways it can be easier outdoors...
Psed- opportunities to play with each other and make up rules, managing behaviour when playing hide and seek and being found etc
Cl- listening to different sounds like aeroplanes and motorbikes- can you tell the difference before you see them? Giving them new language opportunities eg the scrunching crisp leaves as you step on them.
Pd- moving in different ways. Encouraging them to risk assess
Lit- pointing out first letter of name on number plates or road names. Acting out stories such as we're going on a bear hunt
Utw- growing plants, making bug gardens, observing nature. Using technology such as magnifying glasses.
Maths- identifying numbers on signs and doors, identifying shapes such as the square man hole cover or the circular drain cover. Scavenger hunts such as find 2 green leaves and 2 brown leaves, how many altogether?
Ead- make patterns with natural objects such as sticks and leaves, use sticks as props such as magic wands, run your hands along a wire fence and a hedge and listen to the sounds.

mumofone
30-11-2015, 09:05 PM
Do you mean specific ideas? Maths - counting jumps in puddles, looking at door numbers on the way to school, mark making in mud sand etc/writing numbers. Looking at shapes In The environment, roundabouts, windows doors, shapes of buckets..... That sort of thing?

Thanks bb, exactly.
I could already be doing them but just couldn't think beyond PD! :-) x

Simona
01-12-2015, 10:28 AM
Maybe you could change the words round when you ask yourselfthis question...also the SEF will tell you by your reflection?

We do not teach the EYFS outdoors...I think most would say the outdoors provide learning opportunities for children who will lead in their learning.

you can provide other opportunities and extend the learning....give the children a magnifying glass ...as an example...and they will do the rest

that also connects to the other question you posted about the new magnifying glass you have just bought but not sure what to provide as activities...give it to the children and sit back and observe :thumbsup:

mumofone
01-12-2015, 10:49 AM
In many ways it can be easier outdoors... Psed- opportunities to play with each other and make up rules, managing behaviour when playing hide and seek and being found etc Cl- listening to different sounds like aeroplanes and motorbikes- can you tell the difference before you see them? Giving them new language opportunities eg the scrunching crisp leaves as you step on them. Pd- moving in different ways. Encouraging them to risk assess Lit- pointing out first letter of name on number plates or road names. Acting out stories such as we're going on a bear hunt Utw- growing plants, making bug gardens, observing nature. Using technology such as magnifying glasses. Maths- identifying numbers on signs and doors, identifying shapes such as the square man hole cover or the circular drain cover. Scavenger hunts such as find 2 green leaves and 2 brown leaves, how many altogether? Ead- make patterns with natural objects such as sticks and leaves, use sticks as props such as magic wands, run your hands along a wire fence and a hedge and listen to the sounds.

Thanks samb, this has got me thinking about what I do and provide :-) x

sarah707
01-12-2015, 07:40 PM
If you are a childcare.co.uk gold member there are 3 new Information Guides for outside play and 3 more about zoning the outside area (which is quite popular in some cm provisions).

they are here :D

http://www.childcare.co.uk/information/childminder-plus

mumofone
01-12-2015, 09:14 PM
If you are a childcare.co.uk gold member there are 3 new Information Guides for outside play and 3 more about zoning the outside area (which is quite popular in some cm provisions).

they are here :D

http://www.childcare.co.uk/information/childminder-plus

Great stuff, thanks Sarah, I'll take a look :-)

mumofone
01-12-2015, 10:39 PM
It doesn't necessarily have to be in our back garden so long as it takes place outdoors right? Or are OFSTED looking to our gardens to be providing everything specifically?

Simona
02-12-2015, 09:20 AM
It doesn't necessarily have to be in our back garden so long as it takes place outdoors right?
Or are OFSTED looking to our gardens to be providing everything specifically?

You are right...it could be a balcony, a courtyard, a small garden, a very large garden or....a park or playground...or just the high street you go walking up and down with your children...or the route you take to go to school!

Some cms live in a flat...so it is what they show Ofsted what they do rather than what Ofsted 'are looking for'.
if you change that the other way round you will feel in charge of your teaching/methods
you can evidence the learning outcomes for your children....the main one being health and well being!...also remember you know your children best not the inspector!
it's not what she wants to see but what you want to show her and how you do it....don't let her just tick a box!

Your garden or park will provide everything for the 7 areas of learning....you do not need to deck it like a Christmas tree....just let the children use it and support their fun anyway you can! :thumbsup:

mumofone
02-12-2015, 01:47 PM
If you are a childcare.co.uk gold member there are 3 new Information Guides for outside play and 3 more about zoning the outside area (which is quite popular in some cm provisions). they are here :D http://www.childcare.co.uk/information/childminder-plus

Hi sarah, when I try and click on the guides it comes up saying "you are already s gold member", how do I download the guides? Thank you! X

samb
03-12-2015, 01:27 AM
You should just click on the one you want and it will open?

mumofone
03-12-2015, 09:33 AM
You should just click on the one you want and it will open?

Lol you would have thought wouldn't you?!
It's cool, all sorted now, there was a bug on my system :-) x