PDA

View Full Version : A bit of advice needed re enquiry

redtiger21
29-11-2015, 09:23 PM
Hi, I'm after a bit of advice- I've had a childcare enquiry for a LO who is almost 2, on a Monday. The mum would like to drop her child off at 10.30am, which on certain days would be fine, but on a Monday we ALWAYS attend a lovely play session from 9.30-11.30 that my current mindees really enjoy, and I therefore don't want to miss it. I'm also very reluctant for mum to drop the child to me at the group, particularly in the early weeks, as there are likely to be quite a few tears while the LO is getting used to me and to mummy going to work (which may take a longer for her to get accustomed to as it's only one day a week), and I'd prefer not to deal with situations like that in a public place! What would you suggest to mum?

BallyH
29-11-2015, 09:55 PM
Hi, I'm after a bit of advice- I've had a childcare enquiry for a LO who is almost 2, on a Monday. The mum would like to drop her child off at 10.30am, which on certain days would be fine, but on a Monday we ALWAYS attend a lovely play session from 9.30-11.30 that my current mindees really enjoy, and I therefore don't want to miss it. I'm also very reluctant for mum to drop the child to me at the group, particularly in the early weeks, as there are likely to be quite a few tears while the LO is getting used to me and to mummy going to work (which may take a longer for her to get accustomed to as it's only one day a week), and I'd prefer not to deal with situations like that in a public place! What would you suggest to mum?

Tell mum what you have just written here and is it possible to start 9am or whatever times suits you so you still have time to go to the play session, then after a couple of weeks, when her child is settled, she can start the 10.30 contract with drop off at the play session.
I wouldn't want a scene in public either. One day a week is hard and sometimes it takes the child a long time to settle. If you want the child and mum wants you, you both will find a compromise.

loocyloo
30-11-2015, 08:20 AM
Tell mum what you have just written here and is it possible to start 9am or whatever times suits you so you still have time to go to the play session, then after a couple of weeks, when her child is settled, she can start the 10.30 contract with drop off at the play session.
I wouldn't want a scene in public either. One day a week is hard and sometimes it takes the child a long time to settle. If you want the child and mum wants you, you both will find a compromise.

well said MOH, that is what I would do. also, as it may be disruptive for the child ( the child may find it harder to settle into the session ) to arrive half way through a session, when everyone has settled in and tried out the activities etc, I would discuss with the mum the possibility of child always starting at 9, ( or whenever suits you )

Mouse
30-11-2015, 09:18 AM
If you want to take the work on and could see it working out in the future, I would miss toddler group for a couple of weeks to settle the child in with you, then go to group, but ask mum to drop the child off at 9, so they've got a bit of time before you leave the house. Once the child was used to both your house and the toddler group I would give mum the option of changing the start time till 10.30 and dropping the child off at toddler group.

Children are a lot more resilient and adaptable than we sometimes give them credit for. It might be that this child settles straight away and is happy being dropped off part way through the session at toddler group. You won't know unless you try, but if it's not something you really want to do, just tell mum you're sorry but it won't fit in with your current schedule.

Maza
30-11-2015, 09:29 AM
Brilliant advice already given. You have perfectly valid reasons for not wanting the child to be dropped off at 10.30, so you can be perfectly honest, you have nothing to hide. I agree with Mouse though, in that you could miss the playgroup for just a couple of weeks. I usually miss groups for one or two weeks, depending on how well the child settles. It is a bit of a pain, especially if you have a really lovely group that they all love, but it is only fair on the new child to not overwhelm them. You just need to decide though that if you do get mum to drop the lo off earlier - do you charge her for the extra hours?

Good luck. x

mama2three
30-11-2015, 12:59 PM
I would do exactly what mouse suggests.

redtiger21
30-11-2015, 09:48 PM
Thanks everyone :)