PDA

View Full Version : Cats

samb
29-11-2015, 07:40 PM
One of my cats has started going to the toilet inside and not in the litter tray. Vet yesterday thinks he's in good shape for his age. He spends most of his time asleep, wanders outside a few times a day for a few mins. Definitely toilets outside too which I clear up regularly. In terms of risk assessment... Well, litter tray is in a corner and I would regularly check and remove any poo, teach children not to touch, observe if children going near and remind them to come away, dispose of safely, if cat looks like he may go in doors put him out and if he has an accident clean up immediately, using Milton to sterilise area, wear gloves and wash hands. Is this acceptable? I don't want to put him down if he's not ill just lazy.

catswhiskers
29-11-2015, 10:12 PM
Of course it's acceptable but it must be a worry for you but I wouldn't think about having him put down just for the sake of a risk assessment.

To tell the truth I've got three cats and don't have a risk assessment as they're part of the family. I think I mention something in my Health and Safety Policy which covers the whole house in terms of safety, cleanliness etc. but don't have anything specific.

samb
29-11-2015, 10:17 PM
I've actually got 4 cats but he is an old boy and I think he just forgets what he's doing! I'm just picturing Mrs o sitting there watching me clean up poo and wondering what she would say. I don't do written risk assessments, just think everything through all the time and want to have it set in my mind what I would say. Obviously I would say what I actually do. Just worried as obviously no one wants to have dirt around the house! Hoping to train him to go in the tray and then move it outside. I've been rubbing a tissue round his body and then rubbing it round the tray to get his smell on it to help him remember. You never know! Just don't know if he's just too old to learn new tricks as it were. He's 17.5 so doing well.

Simona
30-11-2015, 09:23 AM
I've actually got 4 cats but he is an old boy and I think he just forgets what he's doing! I'm just picturing Mrs o sitting there watching me clean up poo and wondering what she would say. I don't do written risk assessments, just think everything through all the time and want to have it set in my mind what I would say. Obviously I would say what I actually do. Just worried as obviously no one wants to have dirt around the house! Hoping to train him to go in the tray and then move it outside. I've been rubbing a tissue round his body and then rubbing it round the tray to get his smell on it to help him remember. You never know! Just don't know if he's just too old to learn new tricks as it were. He's 17.5 so doing well.

This brings back memories...I have had cats most of my life and I used to have 4 cats at one time.
For some unknown reason as they got older 'some' did exactly as you describe...they were healthy but for this 'new' habit.
It could be their eyes, their aim but no need to have them put down.

You could try ...just for a day or so...to leave this cat in one room with food, water and a 'larger' tray...like re-training.
It worked for me and hope it does for you too.

Maza
30-11-2015, 09:35 AM
Oooh good idea Simona. Wish we had thought of that with my old cat. She did exactly the same when she started getting older. 'Luckily' she always went in a corner behind a chair and so at least we never stood in it.

AliceK
30-11-2015, 10:07 AM
My cat is the same. I think they get a bit senile. He is at least 16 (not sure as I took him in as a stray in 2000). He's no longer allowed out especially at this time of the year as he is too frail and is on long term painkillers for a damaged foot. I have a big bathroom upstairs and the minded children don't go upstairs so I've put his bed in there under the radiator and on some warm pipes under the floor, I also have his litter tray in there and his food and water in there too. It started off when his leg was very painful and he found it hard to get up and downstairs but that was 8mths ago and he doesn't really struggle now but the bathroom seems the ideal place for him. He rarely comes down when I'm working he prefers to keep out of the way most of the time. However sometimes he seems to have a senile moment and will poo somewhere other than his litter tray. Usually it's in the cloakroom downstairs which isn't too bad (at least it's in the correct room lol) but the other day he poo'd on 2 pairs of clean jeans I had folded on my bedroom floor!!!. That'll teach me to put clothes on the floor I guess :laughing:

xx

Maza
30-11-2015, 10:23 AM
Sorry to digress, but this thread is just what I need. I am so tempted to get another cat and DD would absolutely love one. Each time I get tempted someone on here posts about cats, either their toilet habits or their 'hunting' habits. Reality kicks in and I realise that perhaps I don't want a new cat after all. You're all good people. x

AliceK
30-11-2015, 01:47 PM
Sorry to digress, but this thread is just what I need. I am so tempted to get another cat and DD would absolutely love one. Each time I get tempted someone on here posts about cats, either their toilet habits or their 'hunting' habits. Reality kicks in and I realise that perhaps I don't want a new cat after all. You're all good people. x

ah yes there are downsides but honestly come on, remember the lovely cuddles they have with you and the purring and dribbling. My cat goes to sleep every night with his face about an inch from mine, purring, and then wakes me up in the morning sitting on my head :laughing:
Go on. You know you want another one really.

xx

samb
30-11-2015, 08:52 PM
I wish I had a spare room I could put him in but I don't. My down stairs is open plan apart from the toilet which is also used for nappy changes/ mindees toilet. Upstairs- mine and my daughters rooms are both used for sleeping mindees and my son has asd and wouldn't cope if he messed in there even in a litter tray. My upstairs bathroom is really small too so no where to put anything extra. Today the mess was in my under cover area on my outdoor carpet... At least it is outside! Bless him! One of my others demolished a squirrel leaving its tail and paws on the front lawn! Wouldn't be without them though lol!