PDA

View Full Version : 2 year old licking things

chris goodyear
28-11-2015, 03:31 PM
One of my mindees is 2 1/2 and has been with me since Easter. She does come from a disadvantaged family hence I'm a little bit concerned at this new behaviour of hers for the last couple of weeks which is to lick things - chalk, cupboard doors, window glass. She has not done this before and I know all kids put things in their mouths and lick things but I'm wondering if she is lacking in any vitamins or suchlike? From what I've heard through nan (and mum) she doesn't have the best of diets at home, nan not too happy as she is never offered milk and mum says 'she won't drink anything but coke' She has water or weak juice at mine no problem.

BallyH
28-11-2015, 05:06 PM
My first thought was she thirsty? But then a cupboard isn't moist! Is she trying different surfaces as her diet is lacking and she is wanting more 'taste' in her diet?
Are parents still able to get vitamin drops on the nhs? I know they could in the past so it may be worth mentioning this to nan/mum or looking into it yourself then passing on the information.
Our job is very frustrating as we can only advise until it becomes a safeguarding issue then things get serious.
If she was with me I would try to give extra fruit etc whilst she is with you, you'll propably have to perserve with her till she eats it and gradually try to educate her family with 'oh she ate a whole orange today' etc. Do you provide lunch/dinner? As these would be great opportunities for her to eat better. Some families just 'don't get' eating healthy plus a lot of the time they want an easy life and therefore giving them coke etc. And you and I have to pick up the pieces.

chris goodyear
28-11-2015, 05:19 PM
Thanks moh. Yes I do give her lunch and morning snack at mine and always include at least one piece of fruit each day. She is a dear little thing and I do like mum and our relationship is quite good - she tells everyone she has a fantastic childminder! Mum has witnessed her drinking water here that's when she was surprised and said about the coke. I think I have heard somewhere that craving unusual things to lick or eat can be a sign of a deficiency so knowing the family as I do alarm bells started ringing. She also does drink quite a lot here too.

BallyH
28-11-2015, 05:31 PM
When I read it I remembered someone telling me a story how a child was so desperate for something to drink that one day when another child splashed their drink onto the floor this child knelt down and licked and slurped it and then alarm bells starting ringing and the child was found to be diabetic. But am propably wrong! Just sharing my thoughts. We aren't meant to diagnose but our 6th sense stills doesn't stop us guessing as we do care deepely for these lo's.
Other posts will have different views.

tulip0803
28-11-2015, 07:47 PM
I have recently had a little one start that has been diagnosed with Pica as he eats everything. He is on vitamin & mineral substitutes under the hospital but he actually eats not just licks things.

The mum might be wise to speak to the HV to check.

Licking is sensory and she maybe looking for comfort, just to see what it's like, testing temperature. I remember licking an icy window once so I must have been older than 2.5 :o . It is also common in some children with ASD.

As Moh says we can't diagnose or name our suspicions we can only observe, record and advise parents to speak with HV or doctor.

AliceK
28-11-2015, 09:42 PM
Gosh a 2yr old being given cola!!!! That's just terrible :panic:. It is true however that cola does not quench thirst so if that's all she will apparently drink at home then she will be terribly thirsty. Thank goodness she has water and weak juice at yours.
Not sure why she licks everything though I'm afraid.
xx

Simona
29-11-2015, 09:19 AM
One of my mindees is 2 1/2 and has been with me since Easter. She does come from a disadvantaged family hence I'm a little bit concerned at this new behaviour of hers for the last couple of weeks which is to lick things - chalk, cupboard doors, window glass. She has not done this before and I know all kids put things in their mouths and lick things but I'm wondering if she is lacking in any vitamins or suchlike? From what I've heard through nan (and mum) she doesn't have the best of diets at home, nan not too happy as she is never offered milk and mum says 'she won't drink anything but coke' She has water or weak juice at mine no problem.

A lot of toddlers tend to lick all sorts of things...it is usually part of their development but not related to being advantaged or disadvantaged as it can happen to all children.

It may be useful if you looked into Sensory Processing Disorder...or contact a Health Visitor for advice....that would help you in observing the child.