PDA

View Full Version : Risk Assessment versus Policy??

mumofone
26-11-2015, 09:45 PM
I still don't think I know when I should implement a RA versus a policy and vice versa. Can anyone explain idiots terms to me please?!

For instance, for sleeping babies should I have a "sleeping babies" policy or should I just Risk assess the room where babies sleep?

I know most policies are not called for these days and that we dont HAVE to write down RA's but I prefer to have stuff written down! :-)

moggy
27-11-2015, 08:31 AM
I see policies as something to aid communication between me and parents- they are the things I need them to agree to, to understand how I work- that is why I need them to be signed/agreed. I therefore want to keep the list of policies concise otherwise no one will read them and I will spend too much time writing/updating/publishing/printing/checking policies.

I would not write a 'sleeping baby' policy. I do not have a written 'sleeping baby' RA. I know what I do and why I do it, it is very particular to the child, I can explain to anyone who asks. I talk to parents about where babies sleep and how I monitor them. I do not want to limit myself to a written policy- one day I might need to have a baby sleep somewhere that is not actually specified in my policy, a parent/child might have some other particular need etc etc- it is too limiting to say 'My policy is to xyz...' for every single thing we do! It could drive you mad and bore parents to sleep.

Simona
27-11-2015, 09:29 AM
Moggy is right...we could send parents to sleep if we had a policy about every move we make and every little thing we do.

Mumofone...in this instance you could have a Health and Safety policy and in there say...in a special paragraph.... that you carry out a RA to keep children safe and you ensure their well being by doing such and such.

If you write down your RA you just update when necessary and add as incidents happen to show your reflection.
Your LA will probably have a 'sample' policy and RA on their website...worth looking into it

natlou82
27-11-2015, 07:51 PM
I agree with the others, it's good to have the policies you deem necessary, but sometimes you may find yourself controlled by your policies especially if they don't allow enough flexibility for yourself. For sleeping babies I talk to parents about my sleeping arrangements and I risk assess in my head. If you prefer to write your RA down that's your choice but I personally wouldn't do a separate policy.

mumofone
27-11-2015, 08:31 PM
Thanks guys, that's really helped me make a decision. You're the best :-) x