PDA

View Full Version : Boys reluctancy to write

mumofone
24-11-2015, 01:54 PM
Does anyone have any literature on this subject they would be happy to share with me? Thank you :-)

Simona
24-11-2015, 03:21 PM
Take a look at Mark Making Matters from the National Strategies...there is a thread posted a few days ago.

From page 27 you will find many examples to encourage mark making leading to writing in the end.

mumofone
26-11-2015, 09:59 PM
Take a look at Mark Making Matters from the National Strategies...there is a thread posted a few days ago.

From page 27 you will find many examples to encourage mark making leading to writing in the end.

Thanks Simona, yep Ive got this one that you posted helpfully a few weeks ago, its great :-)

I was looking for any others or info on the topic generally...x

mama2three
26-11-2015, 11:57 PM
No literature as such , but Ive always found with boys that writing needs to be part of play ...they are less likely to ''just write''.

So things like clipboards for the policemen to issue tickets , or a comic strip for their superheroes , tracks or the cars to follow all mark making / prewriting or writing skills that they hardly know they're doing.

mumofone
27-11-2015, 08:22 AM
No literature as such , but Ive always found with boys that writing needs to be part of play ...they are less likely to ''just write''. So things like clipboards for the policemen to issue tickets , or a comic strip for their superheroes , tracks or the cars to follow all mark making / prewriting or writing skills that they hardly know they're doing.

Thanks mama2three :-) x

alex__17
27-11-2015, 08:33 AM
That's a good idea, I might unravel the big paper roll and get my boys to do car tracks - they're reluctant to write! My son has twice drawn people for me, but prefers just to scribble, drawing 'rain' as he calls it! Drives me mad as I know he can do it but he just doesn't find it interesting, whereas girls I mind of the same age happily sit there and practise their letters for ages just because they enjoy it!
My after schoolers yesterday wanted to do a spelling test for the younger ones, the 3 and 4 year old girls thought it was a great idea even though they had no idea but wanted to give it a try, my son didn't entertain the idea for even a second and went off to play, the 4 year old boy burst into tears because he didn't want to practise his letters!! Had to reassure him he didn't have to do anything he didn't want to do, and we got the wedgits out for the boys while the girls all did their spellings.
I'll look up the thread...I'm sure the boys will get it eventually but I'd like to find ways of encouraging them without having to ask them as my son likes to do the opposite of what I ask!,

Simona
27-11-2015, 09:23 AM
Thanks Simona, yep Ive got this one that you posted helpfully a few weeks ago, its great :-)

I was looking for any others or info on the topic generally...x

Mark Making Matter is 'literature'!!
at the end of the research it gives you a 2 page reference/list of where you can find more information....there are also several photos that will inspire you and it links to all the areas of learning for your observations.