PDA

View Full Version : Safeguarding

JCrakers
23-11-2015, 11:41 AM
I went to a meeting with my LA last week and we covered the case of 2yr old Keanu Williams which was upsetting to listen to. Although this was a few years ago, the main aim of the meeting was to stress how important it is to take notes of anything we feel could be leading to a pattern and any non attendances and reasons for non attendance. Is there a pattern to the non attendances. Also communications between settings and building up relationships with parents where you feel you can ask questions about their life at home.

The nursery that he attended had noticed bruising but Mum had said he had been fighting with brothers and nothing was noted. No records of a change in behaviour were recorded. 4 days after the bruising occurred, he died.

There was a big lack of communication between the nursery, the HV, social services or the hospital where he had been numerous times with a burn on his foot and other injuries that were just put down to rough play/accidents.
The course stressed the importance of communication between settings and if a child leaves the setting for another, any concerns must be passed on. Sharing info with another setting could also means finding out if the child has poor attendance if they have poor attendance at your setting.

Talking to other childminders if you have concerns about a child/family as we are lone workers and need to bounce ideas of someone. I do remember a post last week on here about a child with marks on his wrists and advice had been given :thumbsup:

I actually got a lot from the course for saying I've been doing this for 8yrs :thumbsup:

BallyH
23-11-2015, 12:25 PM
I went to a meeting with my LA last week and we covered the case of 2yr old Keanu Williams which was upsetting to listen to. Although this was a few years ago, the main aim of the meeting was to stress how important it is to take notes of anything we feel could be leading to a pattern and any non attendances and reasons for non attendance. Is there a pattern to the non attendances. Also communications between settings and building up relationships with parents where you feel you can ask questions about their life at home.

The nursery that he attended had noticed bruising but Mum had said he had been fighting with brothers and nothing was noted. No records of a change in behaviour were recorded. 4 days after the bruising occurred, he died.

There was a big lack of communication between the nursery, the HV, social services or the hospital where he had been numerous times with a burn on his foot and other injuries that were just put down to rough play/accidents.
The course stressed the importance of communication between settings and if a child leaves the setting for another, any concerns must be passed on. Sharing info with another setting could also means finding out if the child has poor attendance if they have poor attendance at your setting.

Talking to other childminders if you have concerns about a child/family as we are lone workers and need to bounce ideas of someone. I do remember a post last week on here about a child with marks on his wrists and advice had been given :thumbsup:

I actually got a lot from the course for saying I've been doing this for 8yrs :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing and highlighting the importance of us being vigilent and asking questions and knowing our families.

sarah707
25-11-2015, 08:29 PM
a lot of serious safeguarding reviews can give insights into good practice - but they are very difficult to read.

Lack of joined up thinking and missed opportunities to help comes up time and time again. It seems they have learned little since Victoria Climbe's death :(

Mouse
25-11-2015, 10:27 PM
Some of these reviews are very hard to read and it does make you question whether anything has been learned from them.

But then you never hear of the success stories where children have been saved from abuse. Hopefully they massively outnumber the awful cases where children slip through the net.

loocyloo
26-11-2015, 08:05 AM
Some of these reviews are very hard to read and it does make you question whether anything has been learned from them.

But then you never hear of the success stories where children have been saved from abuse. Hopefully they massively outnumber the awful cases where children slip through the net.

I was reading the other day that in one area ( and I can't remember ) that the number of children taken into care had dramatically increased and that they are only taken into care when it is for the child's safety. I know a few foster families and adopters, and the things some children experience are heartbreaking, but I do hope that the authorities are learning from mistakes made in the past.

ziggy
26-11-2015, 06:16 PM
when I ended contract with a family a while ago I had some serious concerns about the children. As i was leaving the area I decided to mention my concerns to the health visitor. So glad I did as she already had concerns and at least I know I did the right thing.

watford wizz
26-11-2015, 11:15 PM
Mouse just to let you know that there are lots of positive endings. I have been involved in a lot of cp cases 13 years ago I was the one who made "the phone calls" gave the evidence that split up a family. It was very tough and difficult time but 3 years ago my door bell rang and mum and children stood on my door step, they had come back to all say thank you to me and my family for helping them get the help they so desperately needed and sorry they didn't see it that way at the time. We laughed and cried together in equal measure. It was a very special moment and treasured time together. The family are now all safe, healing and moving forward positively.
I would urge any one who has any concerns to log everything the smallest details are so important, be open and honest and make that call. Only by working together will we change lives and keep children safe xx