PDA

View Full Version : Visitors on your doorstep - what do you do.

Bizzy Bear
23-11-2015, 10:56 AM
Following a recent conversation with fellow childminders what do you do if some one comes to see you and your not expecting them?
1) Do you tell them politely to go away
2) Do you invite them in making sure you don't leave them alone
3) Do you insist they need to have an up-to-date CRB ?

This has provoked a lively discussion and just thought it might be interesting to hear other people's views:)

moggy
23-11-2015, 01:27 PM
You can have visitors as much as you like, friends, family etc- just don't leave them alone with the children. Even if they had a DBS they still can't be left alone with the children!

BallyH
23-11-2015, 01:35 PM
Write them in your 'visitor' book. And as Moggy posted, they must not be left alone with your mindees.

JCrakers
23-11-2015, 01:37 PM
I don't have a lot of visitors as everyone knows I work. But i've had people drop by unexpected and I invite them in. Depending who it is, I don't leave them alone with children. I have a friend who does have a DBS as she works in local nursery and my other friend is a childminder too.

At the end of the day its my home so I'm not turning anyone away at the door. If it was someone I didn't know, such as a potential client who had just knocked on the off chance, I would take their details and tell them to come back at a pre arranged time :D

Bizzy Bear
23-11-2015, 05:18 PM
Thanks for all of your replies, a friend new to childminding is having a difficult time with a parent who intimated she was going to contact Ofsted as a friend was visiting when the parent came to collect her child and that the child knew the friends name!
Some times advice from other professional people like all of you who have replied goes a long way to making new childminders feel at ease. Having show this page to my friend she feels far more confident and able to carry on with her chosen career path. Prior to this she just wanted to throw in the towel and walk away which would be very sad as she has the ability to be a great childminder and as I keep telling her the other parents are extremely happy with the service she provides.
thanks again for your replies:clapping:

Lal
23-11-2015, 08:01 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread- I have what may be a stupid question but what is the definition of 'alone'?

What I need to know is can I go in to the kitchen and make tea for mindees/ go to the loo while my MiL is here? My kitchen is directly off the living room (where mindees and MiL will be), loo is upstairs but I can hear what is going on downstairs if that makes sense.

BallyH
23-11-2015, 08:12 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread- I have what may be a stupid question but what is the definition of 'alone'?

What I need to know is can I go in to the kitchen and make tea for mindees/ go to the loo while my MiL is here? My kitchen is directly off the living room (where mindees and MiL will be), loo is upstairs but I can hear what is going on downstairs if that makes sense.

You are responsible for the safety of every mindee child and have to answer or account for every accident/incident they are involved in, whilst in your care. Plus you should also have a policy 'what to do if an accusation is made against you or a family member'. This should take into account what you would do if the mindees made an accusation whilst you 'nip' to the toilet. All a bit 'dark' but you need to cover yourself and your family members. We are in a vunerable job.

Bizzy Bear
23-11-2015, 09:25 PM
You are responsible for the safety of every mindee child and have to answer or account for every accident/incident they are involved in, whilst in your care. Plus you should also have a policy 'what to do if an accusation is made against you or a family member'. This should take into account what you would do if the mindees made an accusation whilst you 'nip' to the toilet. All a bit 'dark' but you need to cover yourself and your family members. We are in a vunerable job.

Interesting thoughts, how does Ofsted view it?

halor
23-11-2015, 09:51 PM
I don't have many visitors to the house and if I do I just jot down in the diary that they were here. I always introduce visitors to the children and will involve them in what we are doing. The kids have fun with someone new there and it helps their communication skills. It's also funny watching them boss a visitor around in the art of play dough animals lol!

Simona
24-11-2015, 10:17 AM
Thanks for all of your replies, a friend new to childminding is having a difficult time with a parent who intimated she was going to contact Ofsted as a friend was visiting when the parent came to collect her child and that the child knew the friends name!
Some times advice from other professional people like all of you who have replied goes a long way to making new childminders feel at ease. Having show this page to my friend she feels far more confident and able to carry on with her chosen career path. Prior to this she just wanted to throw in the towel and walk away which would be very sad as she has the ability to be a great childminder and as I keep telling her the other parents are extremely happy with the service she provides.
thanks again for your replies:clapping:

That is the problem with such a statement from a parent because it causes fear and anxiety to a cm.
If a parent were to say what this one said to your friend I would just tell the parent I would call Ofsted myself.

Another way to inform prospective parents on how we deal with visitors is to tell them our ethos/practice/policy on visitors when we first interview parents...who we allow in and why....a short statement in a policy will do the trick
I hope your friend is ok !

halor
24-11-2015, 11:40 AM
This is my visitor policy - someone else will have a better one. I think I got this online

As an Ofsted registered Childminder I am very aware of my role in keeping your child safe. Whilst children need to mix with other children and adults it is my responsibility to ensure the suitability of those that they come into contact during minded hours. I have therefore written the following policy regarding visitors in my setting during my minded hours.

I will not leave a minded child in a room alone with a visitor, unless I know they have been CRB cleared, for example another Ofsted Registered Childminder.

I will not allow any visitors to take my minded children to the toilet or change their nappies.

I will request identification from all visitors not known to me and will refuse entry if I am unsure of them.

I will endeavour, when possible, to arrange for any maintenance work to my property to be carried out at weekends and during non-minding hours.

I will maintain a visitors book which is available for you to look at.

If you have any concerns regarding this matter please do not hesitate to contact me.

Maza
24-11-2015, 12:50 PM
It's all about communication and being upfront and honest before any issues/misunderstandings arise. The parent might think that your friend is just sitting around, gossiping with her friend over a nice coffee, while the mum is paying her good money to care for her child. If anything, this will make your friend reflect on her practise and write up a policy so that she can avoid any misunderstandings in future. x

BallyH
24-11-2015, 12:54 PM
This is my visitor policy - someone else will have a better one. I think I got this online

As an Ofsted registered Childminder I am very aware of my role in keeping your child safe. Whilst children need to mix with other children and adults it is my responsibility to ensure the suitability of those that they come into contact during minded hours. I have therefore written the following policy regarding visitors in my setting during my minded hours.

I will not leave a minded child in a room alone with a visitor, unless I know they have been CRB cleared, for example another Ofsted Registered Childminder.

I will not allow any visitors to take my minded children to the toilet or change their nappies.

I will request identification from all visitors not known to me and will refuse entry if I am unsure of them.

I will endeavour, when possible, to arrange for any maintenance work to my property to be carried out at weekends and during non-minding hours.

I will maintain a visitors book which is available for you to look at.

If you have any concerns regarding this matter please do not hesitate to contact me.

Mine is similiar but also includes a line about no mobile phone's used or other 'gadgets' with photography/videoing devices attached.

halor
24-11-2015, 05:48 PM
Mine is similiar but also includes a line about no mobile phone's used or other 'gadgets' with photography/videoing devices attached.

I've got that in a different policy but I think I'll add it to this one too :-)