PDA

View Full Version : eyfs learning goals

mimo
06-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else have a problem with the learning goals and assessments on the eyfs. Its the part that is putting me off . The list seems unrealistic for many children .They say that some children will be working towards these goals at the assessment "particularly children with learning difficulties or disabilities". I know of alot of children who would struggle to achieve these targets that have no difficulties at all. Children at this young age should be able to learn and explore the world through play not be working towards academic targets,which seems to be a big part of the eyfs .
I am fine with the rest of the eyfs its just the regimented learning targets and assessment that are putting me off. Maybe it is just me being over sensitive as i have a daughter with a disability and learning difficulties as do 2 of the children i childmind its just i can see the schools feeling under pressure to push the children to reach these targets which in turn could put the child under undue pressure.

sorry if i sound like a ranting maniac:blush:

sarah707
06-08-2008, 06:14 PM
I agree totally with you!

I had a childminder ask me the other day if I could supply the learning journeys in a format without ages written on them.

She was completing an 8 month one for a 4 year old with disabilities and the mum would be so upset if she saw the actual age the child was working at... which would defeat the object of all her hard work trying to big up his little achievements. :(

I think the Govt has made a mistake trying to take such a rigid control of little people's learning ... they should leave them alone to play. Teachers are not impressed either, because if the results are read purely as figures, they will be seen as failures in their jobs.

However, it's the best we've got and every child's successes count... so cameras at the ready and let's get spotting those wonderful moments that make our jobs so rewarding and special :D

mimo
06-08-2008, 06:26 PM
thanks for that sarah feel so much better that its not just me :)

stats at year 2 are bad enough never mind at the end of the foundation stage. watching the laps in year 2 i help do their stats was heartbreaking as some of them just didnt have a chance , seeing how demorilised they were after having to sit and try to do the papers was horrible the goverment pehaps ought to sit in and then perhaps they would remeber that they are "unique children" with feelings and not just satistics on paper.:(

Anyway of to do my lo fun physio before bed :jump for joy:

have a good night all :D

2kidsunder5
06-08-2008, 08:53 PM
the goverment pehaps ought to sit in and then perhaps they would remeber that they are "unique children" with feelings and not just satistics on paper.:(

Well said!!! Totally with you on that one :)

Diane xx

Pedagog
07-08-2008, 08:01 AM
As the parent of two children with special needs/Disabilities, you do very quickly get used to ignoring the ages/stages type thing, and just focus on your child's actual achievements.

mimo
07-08-2008, 08:34 AM
I can the problem being with some parents whos children have not quite reached the targets just because they are developing at a slightly slower rate than others panicking that their child is behind. After working in a keystage 1 setting for a few years some of these targets seem unreachable for the majority of children. Many children at the end of year 1 still form alot of their letters incorectly,link and sound and name letters of the alphabet correctly and use punctuation. Parents are paranoid anyway that their child is at least "average" . The other problem is the schools will be under pressure and as sarah said the teachers will be seen as failures if they dont meet the targets. It is almost setting children up for failure to assess at this age and i cant see how that helps them to "continue to be interested,excited and motivated to learn.