PDA

View Full Version : 2yr old with lollipop at 7:15am!

natlou82
18-11-2015, 07:40 AM
All I can say is WHY? I just looked shocked and said, sorry she can't have that here and we exchanged it for a cookie. Dad clearly thought I was being unfair, I just didn't fancy performing first aid today! Honestly what are people thinking?

tess1981
18-11-2015, 07:52 AM
All I can say is WHY? I just looked shocked and said, sorry she can't have that here and we exchanged it for a cookie. Dad clearly thought I was being unfair, I just didn't fancy performing first aid today! Honestly what are people thinking?

Bet you appeared like a real Meanie....

natlou82
18-11-2015, 08:04 AM
Yes, Dad clearly thought so! But child was happy with swap, so was more of a big deal for Dad. I would just rather be upfront and Dad know the score rather than wait for him to go and then confiscate the lolly. I even make my own children age 6 and 9 sit down in sight with a lolly (I don't even like them having them) but a 2 year old and before breakfast!

tess1981
18-11-2015, 08:19 AM
I never give lollies here but when my nephew has one the rule is sit at the table or on the sofa while you eat it.... like you I'm not really looking forward to a cpr refresher

chris goodyear
18-11-2015, 08:22 AM
Oh no! Just can't believe what some parents think is acceptable for their children to have and at the completely wrong time of the day. I have had lo's turning up at 8.00 a.m. with a massive bag of sweets (which went straight in the cupboard to be given back to parent at hometime) to 2 year old with bottle of coke cola). Either we have learnt with our c/m hat on to be more aware of everything with children i.e. safety, healthy eating, nurturing etc (so training does work) or some people just don't get it! Sorry if I sound 'holier than thou' but I do have a completely different attitude when it comes to bringing up children than when I was a young mum, many years ago now, wish I had the knowledge then as I have now so I suppose we can't be too hard on today's parents we just have to help and advise.

mumofone
18-11-2015, 08:23 AM

God what on earth?! I didn't even think from a choking hazard point of view I was thinking more from a teeth/diet point of view!
It's funny ive been asked if I give my son sweets and icecream and Ive been suprised and just thought it hasn't crossed my mind, he's only 18 months old!

Mouse
18-11-2015, 09:11 AM
I've had a couple of children recently who would often turn up in the morning eating sweets, cake, biscuits, chewing gum, lollies, fizzy drinks. At other times they did arrive eating an apple or a banana, so it wasn't always bad!

I just used to take whatever it was off them at the door and either put it in a bag to take home later, sit them at the table to eat it, or put it in the bin!

Maza
18-11-2015, 09:43 AM
The choking and the diet/teeth thing are bad enough, but I hate children turning up at my house eating full stop. None of my mindees have ever done it but a couple of DDs friends have. One had a carton of juice and within minutes of arriving he was walking on my sofa flailing his arms around with the juice in the air. Another time, a friend came for lunch with her mum and just kept leaving the table mid lunch and then eventually when she had finished she walked on all fours (why?) after eating her meal with her hands and then put her hands all over my sofa before I could get to her with a wipe. Her mum was a bit taken aback (and to be fair she was a bit embarrassed). It is just so disrespectful.

I wonder if there is something online about the dangers of those horrible lollipops that you could print out and give to the parents. We used to go to a hairdressers and they would always give DD one, which was very kind but I just couldn't relax until it was all gone. We actually stopped going there because of it.

BallyH
18-11-2015, 09:49 AM
I often wonder are parents doing it for an easing life? They don't want another scene/tantrum so 'oh, go on then have the lolly/sweets'. They are making a rod for their own back, but then only older parents know this from experience. But not good especially so early in the day!

Maza
18-11-2015, 09:55 AM
I often wonder are parents doing it for an easing life? They don't want another scene/tantrum so 'oh, go on then have the lolly/sweets'. They are making a rod for their own back, but then only older parents know this from experience. But not good especially so early in the day!

My thoughts exactly.

mumofone
18-11-2015, 10:08 AM

I'm not an older parent and wouldn't do it! :-)

natlou82
18-11-2015, 11:58 AM
He definitely did it for an easy life as he said she was really crying for it this morning. Some parents just need to learn to say "no". As this is their only child I am perplexed as to why they would even have lollies at home in the first place!?! Another worry is I am pretty sure she must have had it whilst in the car!

natlou82
18-11-2015, 12:02 PM
The choking and the diet/teeth thing are bad enough, but I hate children turning up at my house eating full stop. None of my mindees have ever done it but a couple of DDs friends have. One had a carton of juice and within minutes of arriving he was walking on my sofa flailing his arms around with the juice in the air. Another time, a friend came for lunch with her mum and just kept leaving the table mid lunch and then eventually when she had finished she walked on all fours (why?) after eating her meal with her hands and then put her hands all over my sofa before I could get to her with a wipe. Her mum was a bit taken aback (and to be fair she was a bit embarrassed). It is just so disrespectful. I wonder if there is something online about the dangers of those horrible lollipops that you could print out and give to the parents. We used to go to a hairdressers and they would always give DD one, which was very kind but I just couldn't relax until it was all gone. We actually stopped going there because of it.

I'm tempted to have a look online, although I don't like to preach. Hopefully I have given the parents food for thought if nothing else.

greenfaerie
18-11-2015, 12:42 PM
I don't give any sweet treats in my home. I think it's a bit of a slippery slope with kids, and I certainly wouldn't give a 2yo a lollipop. :S I had a child walk in with a pop tart a couple of months ago for breakfast, and I said "Oh, so you won't be wanting Weetabix this morning then?" Her father was shocked that she ate that "healthy" cereal here as she doesn't really look at it at home. No wonder if pop tarts are an option. I'd be munching them for every meal if I could. O_o

SYLVIA
18-11-2015, 07:35 PM
One of my mindees nan had to save a child's life because he had got the lollipop of the stick m stuck in his throat. It has always put me of them. I have a child come here sometimes and will always ask for a packet of crisps at half 9 in the morning.

natlou82
18-11-2015, 07:46 PM
The poor diets that some of these children have amazes me. I am still on a mission at dinner time to encourage the children to eat better - although sometimes I could bang my head against a wall in frustration!

mummytotwo
23-11-2015, 01:07 PM
Yes, Dad clearly thought so! But child was happy with swap, so was more of a big deal for Dad. I would just rather be upfront and Dad know the score rather than wait for him to go and then confiscate the lolly. I even make my own children age 6 and 9 sit down in sight with a lolly (I don't even like them having them) but a 2 year old and before breakfast!

Ive had exactly the same thing at 7 in the morning. I just said to dad that lo couldn't come in with the lollipop so he sat in the car and finished it!:panic:

natlou82
23-11-2015, 09:26 PM
Oh dear! We've had no more since, better to be upfront.