PDA

View Full Version : Putting babies down to sleep

mumofone
17-11-2015, 01:01 PM
When you are busy putting one baby down to sleep how do you deal with the fact that you can't see the other one (although can hear them). Putting babies down for naps isn't always a quick job so just wondered if anyone has any experience they would be willing to share? :-) x

redtiger21
17-11-2015, 01:23 PM
I don't spend long putting them down for naps, I give them a nice snuggle downstairs as I read a story or prepare them for the idea of a sleep, continue to coo to them as I carry them slowly upstairs, maybe sing a soft lullaby and gradually get quieter as we near the sleep room until I'm whispering, give them one last lovely cuddle, lay them down gently, rub their back or tummy while I smile and whisper but gradually remove eye contact as I whisper that it's sleep time, then whisper "Night night, Maria will see you when you wake up" and leave the room. Whole process means I only spend about 1-2 minutes not actually downstairs with the others x

moggy
17-11-2015, 01:37 PM
I work hard on getting them into the routine of into the cot and off to sleep. I put the easiest to settle down first. I might leave one playing happily while I pop up. If one crying in cot, I get the others settled as quick as pos then go and soothe the crying one- pop in to soothe then out, repeat until asleep. Sometimes I have sat and held my hand on baby's back to help soothe them once the other children are asleep. I find if I really work on them self-soothing then it all falls into place and I get a hot cup of tea and a couple of hours to get dinner prepared!

BallyH
17-11-2015, 02:06 PM
When you are busy putting one baby down to sleep how do you deal with the fact that you can't see the other one (although can hear them). Putting babies down for naps isn't always a quick job so just wondered if anyone has any experience they would be willing to share? :-) x

How old is the other child?

mumofone
20-11-2015, 10:48 AM
18mths And 9mths x

BallyH
20-11-2015, 11:46 AM
I try to start as I mean to go on with settling the babies to sleep. More or less the same safe routine. Tell them it's 'nite nite' as we're walking upstairs, then quick tight cuddle, into sleeping bag thing and a little stroke on head. No eye contact. Then out of room. If they cry I'll go in quick but never lift them. I'll leave more seconds between each visit to settled them but never lift them or eye contact. They soon learn to give in and settle themselves to sleep. If I had two your age, I would carry one up whilst holding the toddlers hand as we walk up the stairs. Place one in one cot whilst you settle the other one then go back to the first one and settle them. It'll propably feel a bit like a yo yo job, back and forward to each child until they know they have to sleep. Hopefullly you'll get them into a routine quickly and then the older one will drop their sleep, just when you think you've got it sussed.