PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience of sleep apnea in babies/children?

catswhiskers
13-11-2015, 09:54 PM
I've been looking after a now 11 months old since Sept for one day (will be 2 days from Jan). Mum came along last week and told me child may have sleep apnea and they're waiting for hospital appointment. Baby does sleep very soundly twice a day for 1.5/2 hours and since Mum told me I've been worried sick.

I've googled it and just made myself worse about what could happen while child is in my care.

I've been a bit fragile recently anyway as have lost my Mum, Dad, father-in-law and two cousins during the past two years and don't know if I want the responsibility of looking after a child with this.

Anyone have any advice?
Thanks.

moggy
13-11-2015, 10:04 PM
Advise? I'd say... Don't Google medical conditions!
Wait and see what they say. Might be nothing. Might be something... and then there will be advise to follow. If you feel the advise given is not something you can provide then you need to talk to parents and question if you are the right place for the child.
Try not to worry over something you don't know the facts about yet.

BallyH
13-11-2015, 10:12 PM
Ah bless you. If you are so concerned and the baby sleeps as soundly as you say, I would place the baby within sight and sound of myself so have it sleeping where I could see them. Maybe in a buggy in the corner of your kitchen/lounge where ever you feel it will be safe, till the mum gets word and advice from the hospital. Get mum to sign to say the baby can sleep in a buggy and then do what you have to so you don't get stressed. This job, unfortunately, can be very stressful at times. Sending you big hugs.

AliceK
13-11-2015, 11:06 PM
I had a parent tell me this once although I think they were just being dramatic as I didn't see any signs of it. I would just do as others have suggested and sleep the baby close to you so you can check often but I wouldn't panic. Wait until they have had the sleep study done and can confirm or not.

xx

catswhiskers
13-11-2015, 11:07 PM
Thank you both for the advice. Since starting with me, i've noticed signs with baby's breathing/feeding (seems to have a permanent stuffed/runny nose and breathing through mouth and coming up for air) and told Mum and put in diary but I didn't think it would come to this. Mum and Dad have noticed during the night that baby stops breathing for a few seconds and they're worried.

I do feel for them and Mum looks really tired too!

Baby has been going to a nursery for two days as I can't accommodate baby on those days due to other mindees and Mum knew this but will try to see how they operate.