PDA

View Full Version : Gyimah's speech at the NWSummit today

Simona
11-11-2015, 05:48 PM
We are in the 'golden age of childcare'! :panic: :rolleyes:
Funding rate to be announced on 25 November!

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/sam-gyimah-we-are-in-a-golden-age-of-childcare?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Smiley
11-11-2015, 06:23 PM
Thanks Simona
I've just read the article and currently digesting it! Not sure what to think about the possibility of LA's drawing up agreements with providers.

Simona
12-11-2015, 09:50 AM
Thanks Simona
I've just read the article and currently digesting it! Not sure what to think about the possibility of LA's drawing up agreements with providers.

I keep reading this speech and it is the one given about childcare that scares me the most.
Gyimah's tone at this summit was rather patronising I think,...not what he is saying at all at these events he mentions!.

Some serious concerns from what he is suggesting...me thinks...Statutory agreement with LAs?
I wonder if cms will raise some questions.
I hope many cms will take the time to read between the lines and be informed.

Our association has already responded and I am sure they will have more to say...I will pick more at the next meeting.

BallyH
12-11-2015, 10:20 AM
Oh dear. A lot to digest and a lot of work ahead. We'll see on 25/11. Thank you for sharing Simone.

Simona
12-11-2015, 10:24 AM
Oh dear. A lot to digest and a lot of work ahead. We'll see on 25/11. Thank you for sharing Simone.

very much so...we will know the new rate soon but the rest is obviously in the pipeline.

One thing to be aware of is if our LA is part of the 'implementers'...lots to find out if they are and attending their meetings may be useful.

Mouse
12-11-2015, 11:07 AM
It doesn't actually say the funding rate will be announced on 25th Nov though, does it? It says the results of the review will be part of the Autumn statement, but that doesn't mean they will necessarily announce a rate then. How many times before have we waited for announcements on certain dates, only for them to be a real disappointment and not tell us what we really want to know.

I'm not sure that they'll announce a rate now (in 2015) for a scheme that is to start in 2017. I wonder if it's more likely they'll announce how the funding will work - maybe limiting the amount the LAs can take, paying monthly, making claiming more straight forward etc? It also concerns me that they may announce there will be different rates depending on the settings - more for nurseries who employ a graduate, more for nurseries who have higher running costs etc.

Simona
12-11-2015, 11:49 AM
I was referring to what was said yesterday at the Summit and the subsequent responses from PLA and others....and the live feedback during the summit which gave the opportunity to input.

This is what is being understood by others
I agree with you that announcing a rate now can be misleading but those implementing early need guidelines.

Gyimah has also forgotten to mention the Lords have delayed implementation via the Childcare Bill by adding amendments until the due date of 2017 ...a little bit along the lines of Tax Credits...Lords delay the govt ignores it!

I just wanted to keep Cms informed and give opportunity to reflect and form their own opinion....your questions are very pertinent.

Childcare funding rate to be announced at Spending Review | Children & Young People Now (http://www.cypnow.co.uk/cyp/news/1154738/childcare-funding-rate-to-be-announced-at-spending-review)

Funding review on 30 hours to be published on 25 November | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/nursery-world/news/1154735/funding-review-on-30-hours-to-be-published-on-25-november?utm_content=&utm_campaign=09.11.15%20NW%20Update&utm_source=Nursery%20World&utm_medium=adestra_email&utm_term=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nurseryworld.co.uk%2Fnur sery-world%2Fnews%2F1154735%2Ffunding-review-on-30-hours-to-be-published-on-25-november)

https://www.pre-school.org.uk/sectornews/445/funding-review-results-imminent-government-confirms

lollipop kid
12-11-2015, 08:10 PM
Thanks, Simona, for this post.

When my DD was small, I used a childminder for about 4 years. She was phenomenal, but she kept her rates the same when my DD started Nursery, then again for her first couple of years at infants school - that is, I still paid her full fee (full days) for my 5 days a week of after-school care, even though I only wanted 4 days. (And as I was paying for 5, then I used 5 days.)

Anyway, the point I wanted to make is that I was happy to pay her rates because she was so good. My other half and I were both in jobs at the time where we earned very healthy salaries. I know many of my peers who are very successful and still working in that industry. However, I can tell you that most of the ones I know with children would jump at 30 hours free childcare, as they could use the money saved for, I don't know, having a third holiday each year or something similar?

I say this as I have asked myself the same question. If I was still working in that job, and earning a very healthy salary (one that meant that I would no longer be able to claim Child Benefit without paying the same amount in tax), then would I hesitate to take advantage of the free 30 hours, even though I was earning an Executive salary? My answer? Well, if it's free, why not?

This is what really annoys me about the free 30 hours (and the free 15 hours). There does not seem to be an upper earnings limit on using it. Surely that's a bit wrong?? Or perhaps I have misunderstood how it works? Or maybe it's just me venting.

:panic:

LK

Simona
13-11-2015, 09:27 AM
Thanks, Simona, for this post.

When my DD was small, I used a childminder for about 4 years. She was phenomenal, but she kept her rates the same when my DD started Nursery, then again for her first couple of years at infants school - that is, I still paid her full fee (full days) for my 5 days a week of after-school care, even though I only wanted 4 days. (And as I was paying for 5, then I used 5 days.)

Anyway, the point I wanted to make is that I was happy to pay her rates because she was so good. My other half and I were both in jobs at the time where we earned very healthy salaries. I know many of my peers who are very successful and still working in that industry. However, I can tell you that most of the ones I know with children would jump at 30 hours free childcare, as they could use the money saved for, I don't know, having a third holiday each year or something similar?

I say this as I have asked myself the same question. If I was still working in that job, and earning a very healthy salary (one that meant that I would no longer be able to claim Child Benefit without paying the same amount in tax), then would I hesitate to take advantage of the free 30 hours, even though I was earning an Executive salary? My answer? Well, if it's free, why not?

This is what really annoys me about the free 30 hours (and the free 15 hours). There does not seem to be an upper earnings limit on using it. Surely that's a bit wrong?? Or perhaps I have misunderstood how it works? Or maybe it's just me venting.

:panic:

LK

You are right LK...this policy is like a big round of Gruyere cheese...it has so many holes in it the actual substance is minimal....but in places a bit scary in terms of vagueness.

That is why I really hope cms will take the time to reflect and then start asking questions.
I know it is 2 years away and the vast majority will not even be implementers but now is the time to start looking into those big policy gaps and start asking questions.

To me this is a bit like the agencies saga and not just me who thinks so...if not happening in our area the risk is far away....but the rhetoric from the DfE is the same: 'Come forward, pilot this and give us your innovative ideas'!....same as for the agencies.

First of all...the minimum requirement to access 30 hrs is that both parents must work at least 8 hours...and for that they almost quadruple childcare? so it is not Early Education Funding anymore....that is very odd and very convenient....against those parents who work 36 hours weekly?

so you are right some parents will jump at requesting 30 hours while the very needy....the ones Ofsted go on about...are left with 15 hours
it may be very possible that once we allocate the 30 hours to 3/4 year olds...who will also get the EYPP if applicable...we will have no spaces left for the 2 year olds

At the same time the DfE appears to be saying the new funding rate will go to LAs who will then pass it on to us.....we are going round in circles here....back to those who caused the problem in the first place

LAs are the ones who cream off now...will they refrain to cream off in future when their funding is being cut by up to 30%? that is the question DfE avoided answering at their Twitter session....LAs are also coming forward to volunteer for this pilot....why?

LAs pay us funding very late...in fact when they want without real reason to do so....will that change when we will need to subsidise double the hours?

EYPP which is possible these '30 hours' children will be entitled to is now paid a 'term in arrears' flagged up at the NW Summit which means providers are subsidising funding and then the EYPP and not using it when the child is present in our settings

so what are we actually evidencing to Ofsted in terms of 53p making a difference in closing the gap?

These are just a few of the questions...I am sure cms can look at their setting and finances and think of more to ask...I hope they do!