PDA

View Full Version : Explaining different cultures/celebrations to toddlers??

NinkyNonk
09-11-2015, 01:34 PM
Hi, I'm a new childminder and I'm wanting to do some kind of activity for Diwali...however the two children I have are just 2. How do I explain why we are doing said activity (colouring for example) and Diwali in a way they would understand (although I don't think they will really)?

moggy
09-11-2015, 01:47 PM
For under-3s I ask myself: Why would I do this? is it relevant the the child? is it relevant to their family? is it relevant to their community? If no to both... is it just a fun activity they will learn something from? If yes then don't worry about trying to explain Divali to a 2-year old. Just have some fun.

If it is relevant to their family and/or community then you have more to work with- talk about what their family do, what their neighbours do, what they have seen in town, get parents involved etc

I am not doing anything for Divali for my 2 yr olds, it is not relevant to their families or their community. We are busy with something that is relevant to them, something that needs to happen now and they can see the result of their efforts: we are having an autumn clear-up in the garden. That is far more important to them as individuals than Divali.

mumofone
09-11-2015, 01:49 PM
I found your response really helpful moggy and will make me consider why I am doing things with my mindees. Thanks for raising ninkynonk :-)

loocyloo
09-11-2015, 02:06 PM
For under-3s I ask myself: Why would I do this? is it relevant the the child? is it relevant to their family? is it relevant to their community? If no to both... is it just a fun activity they will learn something from? If yes then don't worry about trying to explain Divali to a 2-year old. Just have some fun.

If it is relevant to their family and/or community then you have more to work with- talk about what their family do, what their neighbours do, what they have seen in town, get parents involved etc

I am not doing anything for Divali for my 2 yr olds, it is not relevant to their families or their community. We are busy with something that is relevant to them, something that needs to happen now and they can see the result of their efforts: we are having an autumn clear-up in the garden. That is far more important to them as individuals than Divali.

Exactly! :0)

NinkyNonk
09-11-2015, 06:01 PM
Absolutely brilliant point, thank you! I guess I thought it was part of the 'job' to do these things, but as I say with just 2 x 2 year olds I really couldn't see how it will benefit them - they won't have a clue what I'm talking about (one is still at the stage of just saying yes to everything, regardless of what you say).

So no, it's not relevant to them or their family. :)

FloraDora
09-11-2015, 08:56 PM
On the other hand....I live in a predominantly white british town....we only have churches, no mosques or synagogues...the children in this town grow up with a warped sense of other people's cultures through ignorance. All the schools make a big effort to link with city schools that have a wealth of cultures to get first hand experience of meeting children from other cultures.
So...I use special days in other cultures to read stories about it at their level, share artefacts and look at clips of videos explaining the special celebrations that children take part in...I don't celebrate it but books and photos out for the children to become curious and interested in. So for instance ...I have a board book about divali and the artefacts in real that it shows...in a lovely inviting bejewelled chest....we have looked at them and lit the candles and put them in my window...they have looked at the pictures in a book about Rama and Sita and then last thing today somebody asked me to read it..they noticed what Sita was wearing and so went to the dressing up rail and put on the indian outfits we have.
All at a 2 year old level, lots of curiosity about other peoples lives enjoying a story from a different culture....I think that this enhances their learning...and even if they don't remember anything...they have enjoyed the experience ...and I'll do it again and again and they will be growing up with knowledge and tolerance and interest in different cultures.

greenfaerie
09-11-2015, 09:22 PM
I think it's important to use moderation with these things. There's no harm in introducing children to the traditions of other cultures from the beginning, but just keeping it at their level. It would be a good opportunity to open their minds about the world being larger than the little bit of it that they see.

That said, I don't dip in to all celebrations or feel obliged to cover everything, I just do something if I can think of a nice activity/resource for it. :) I only have 2 babies and 1 reception child, so I'm thinking I'll make a paper lantern with the older one (and practice her scissor skills) and maybe play music for the babies (encouraging them to move to it) or do food sampling at snack time? I would dye rice for pictures but I'm still cleaning up the orange rice from Halloween. O_O

Edit: FloraDora you've inspired me to improve my kids Non-Fiction book collection, so thanks. :D I love an excuse to go book shopping.

Simona
10-11-2015, 08:54 AM
On the other hand....I live in a predominantly white british town....we only have churches, no mosques or synagogues...the children in this town grow up with a warped sense of other people's cultures through ignorance. All the schools make a big effort to link with city schools that have a wealth of cultures to get first hand experience of meeting children from other cultures.
So...I use special days in other cultures to read stories about it at their level, share artefacts and look at clips of videos explaining the special celebrations that children take part in...I don't celebrate it but books and photos out for the children to become curious and interested in. So for instance ...I have a board book about divali and the artefacts in real that it shows...in a lovely inviting bejewelled chest....we have looked at them and lit the candles and put them in my window...they have looked at the pictures in a book about Rama and Sita and then last thing today somebody asked me to read it..they noticed what Sita was wearing and so went to the dressing up rail and put on the indian outfits we have.
All at a 2 year old level, lots of curiosity about other peoples lives enjoying a story from a different culture....I think that this enhances their learning...and even if they don't remember anything...they have enjoyed the experience ...and I'll do it again and again and they will be growing up with knowledge and tolerance and interest in different cultures.

Very good example of how we can introduce cultures to other children ...however small....as long as they are not tokenistic.

Diwali in particular is the festival of lights...with this also come the fireworks...so a lot to stimulate the sensory learning.
We take young children ...of all cultures...to Guy Fawkes bonfire night so here is the opportunity to exchange the learning and customs.

some activities for very young children are inappropriate but others do have an important influence for families...some say it is not beneficial to them...I am unclear how that may be when we live in a multicultural society...apologies if I got that wrong.

like you I have no synagogues or Mosques in my areas...or not aware of them...but plenty of opportunities to see the diversity of cultures in every day life, in the shops and at schools....in the friendship children make.

British Values say we need to be aware and respectful of other cultures...share and learn...tolerance is the word I worry about.

Your thread has brought back memories of 2 inspections ago when I had this very argument with the inspector and then Ofsted itself!!

Maza
10-11-2015, 09:48 AM
I agree, Simona, 'tolerance' is a controversial word in that context. However, sadly with some individuals (from all faiths) that is the best we can hope for. By 'individuals' this can range from the average person on the street to world leaders. The world would be a lot safer if everyone at least 'tolerated' other beliefs and cultures.

BallyH
10-11-2015, 10:00 AM
Yesterday my 3 yr old lo's watched two wonderful short Diwali celebration videos on you tube. They were very colourful and the Indian music got them dancing around the room.

NinkyNonk
10-11-2015, 10:02 AM
All very good points made, thank you. I too live in a pretty small town, as do the children I look after. Maybe I need to invest in some books/simple resources..