PDA

View Full Version : Key person information

mumofone
06-11-2015, 10:28 AM
Ok so today I'm getting myself in a tiz (sp?!) about specifying that I am the key person. I work alone, therefore I am the key person. But I am still reading that I must specify this. But why? It's obvious? Auntie may down the road is clearly not the key person so why do I have to specify it's me??? What am I missing/not understanding??
If I add to my weekly attendance forms that I'm the key person and also PPP it in my parent information pack or website of I do one is this sufficient? Where do you guys that work alone specify it?

Simona
06-11-2015, 10:39 AM
Ok so today I'm getting myself in a tiz (sp?!) about specifying that I am the key person. I work alone, therefore I am the key person. But I am still reading that I must specify this. But why? It's obvious? Auntie may down the road is clearly not the key person so why do I have to specify it's me??? What am I missing/not understanding??
If I add to my weekly attendance forms that I'm the key person and also PPP it in my parent information pack or website of I do one is this sufficient? Where do you guys that work alone specify it?

I am not sure why you are worried about this....remember that you are the 'key person' for the cared for children but your role is different when it comes to your child?
The key person is a secondary carer....for me the role is very vital and rewarding.

Personally I see this as a Personal Development issue ...part of your CPPD....if you were to observe practice in a nursery this role would be different as children may have many key persons
A lot of our parents have no idea about what a 'key person' is ...do specify and do explain what it entails.

mumofone
06-11-2015, 10:45 AM
I am not sure why you are worried about this....remember that you are the 'key person' for the cared for children but your role is different when it comes to your child? The key person is a secondary carer....for me the role is very vital and rewarding. Personally I see this as a Personal Development issue ...part of your CPPD....if you were to observe practice in a nursery this role would be different as children may have many key persons A lot of our parents have no idea about what a 'key person' is ...do specify and do explain what it entails.

No, I'm unsure why I have to specify that I am the key person? It's obvious as I work alone.

Simona
06-11-2015, 11:41 AM
No, I'm unsure why I have to specify that I am the key person? It's obvious as I work alone.

I am clear on that but where have you got to specify you are the 'key person'? and why is it causing you a worry?
It is another of the roles cms have and cannot be shared and possibly one you need to reflect on...is that it?

gef918
06-11-2015, 11:47 AM
I am clear on that but where have you got to specify you are the 'key person'? and why is it causing you a worry?
It is another of the roles cms have and cannot be shared and possibly one you need to reflect on...is that it?

It's in the EYFS Paragraph 1.11. "Providers must inform parents and/or carers of the name of the key person, and explain their role, when a child starts attending a setting".

As a lone childminder myself, I also find it a little ridiculous. However, when I have had children start at other settings, parents have sometimes looked at me blankly when I ask the name of their child's key worker there. It may be useful to educate parents more about the role of the key person, so that they are more informed (and appreciate what we do).

Simona
06-11-2015, 11:59 AM
It's in the EYFS Paragraph 1.11. "Providers must inform parents and/or carers of the name of the key person, and explain their role, when a child starts attending a setting".

As a lone childminder myself, I also find it a little ridiculous. However, when I have had children start at other settings, parents have sometimes looked at me blankly when I ask the name of their child's key worker there. It may be useful to educate parents more about the role of the key person, so that they are more informed (and appreciate what we do).

I see where you are coming from.
Maybe if a cm has an assistant we need to specify which children the assistant is the key person for....as a cm who works on her own we specify we are the ONLY key person for the children and what that entails in terms of our role and continuity of care.

CMs have been key persons all the time for the last 35 years...when it was introduced in nurseries it was a big deal for them...and many have still to master its meaning.

If we also give parents What to expect, when? ...which we are now encouraged to do...the first page tells parents to approach the key person or CM.

Not sure how other cms do this but I used to explain the key person role to parents at the 1st interview

Mouse
06-11-2015, 02:27 PM

As gef918 says, it's in the EYFS that providers must inform parents about their child's key person.

It's one of those things written into the EYFS that really doesn't apply to childminders working alone, but it is something we have to do as it's written in the framework.

In my parent information I write that as a childminder working alone I am the child's key person and it is also noted in the front of daily diaries.

You are right, it is a daft thing to have to do if we work alone, but there have been instances of childminders being penalised for not writing it somewhere. Personally, I think the parent information, daily diary or LJ is the best place to put it as that's likely to be where it would be in a setting where there are more than one person working. Just think to yourself, if you employed an assistant, where would you note which one of you was they key person? Use that space to write your own name.

mumofone
06-11-2015, 02:40 PM
As gef918 says, it's in the EYFS that providers must inform parents about their child's key person. It's one of those things written into the EYFS that really doesn't apply to childminders working alone, but it is something we have to do as it's written in the framework. In my parent information I write that as a childminder working alone I am the child's key person and it is also noted in the front of daily diaries. You are right, it is a daft thing to have to do if we work alone, but there have been instances of childminders being penalised for not writing it somewhere. Personally, I think the parent information, daily diary or LJ is the best place to put it as that's likely to be where it would be in a setting where there are more than one person working. Just think to yourself, if you employed an assistant, where would you note which one of you was they key person? Use that space to write your own name.

Thanks mouse, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks its daft! I'll do just that, thank you.

Dare I ask.....is a key WORKER completely different to a key PERSON and if so what's the difference?

Thanks everyone! :-)

moggy
06-11-2015, 02:53 PM
Thanks mouse, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks its daft! I'll do just that, thank you.

Dare I ask.....is a key WORKER completely different to a key PERSON and if so what's the difference?

Thanks everyone! :-)

same thing, different words.

Simona
06-11-2015, 02:55 PM
Mouse is right to reinforce the CMs who may work with others and need to allocate the key person to many children...I agreed with that.

it has always been key person as defined by Elfer and Goldschmied years ago in their popular book because it is linked to attachment

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Persons-Early-Years-Peter-Elfer/dp/0415610397

We now have returned to key person not key worker in the EYFS....but...in the SEND a child is allocated a 'key worker' as the lead in the team but is not a key person.

BallyH
06-11-2015, 06:52 PM

The only place I've mentiond it is in my policy explaining how and why I deliver the EYFS. When I worked in the preschool, each child was allocated a key person. However, like you've already said, a lot of parents were unaware of their child's key person.

Simona
06-11-2015, 07:07 PM
It would be very unfair to say that parents are not aware of the key person role....nurseries and preschools do inform parents when they first approach them.

I had a key person role in my preschool as far back as 1993...the role is as old as the hills!

The EYFS was reviewed in 2012 so plenty of time for all to understand what this role is all about.
The fact we are missing is that the EYFS brought the rest of the sector in line with cms...we have always been key persons an dI believe we fulfill that role to perfection

Is there a difference between key person and key worker? .....personally I think so and would not like to be called key worker!

mumofone
06-11-2015, 09:08 PM
It would be very unfair to say that parents are not aware of the key person role....nurseries and preschools do inform parents when they first approach them. I had a key person role in my preschool as far back as 1993...the role is as old as the hills! The EYFS was reviewed in 2012 so plenty of time for all to understand what this role is all about. The fact we are missing is that the EYFS brought the rest of the sector in line with cms...we have always been key persons an dI believe we fulfill that role to perfection Is there a difference between key person and key worker? .....personally I think so and would not like to be called key worker!

Ok so what's the difference then? Seems we're not all on the same page with this one?

mumofone
06-11-2015, 10:43 PM
I am not sure why you are worried about this....remember that you are the 'key person' for the cared for children but your role is different when it comes to your child?
The key person is a secondary carer....for me the role is very vital and rewarding.

Personally I see this as a Personal Development issue ...part of your CPPD....if you were to observe practice in a nursery this role would be different as children may have many key persons
A lot of our parents have no idea about what a 'key person' is ...do specify and do explain what it entails.

I'm not sure I understand your points about this needing reflection and CPPD?

FloraDora
06-11-2015, 10:52 PM
I had key person at my nurseries because , as others have said one person needs to be the key person to a child in a world where there are lots of people like schools, nurseries and childminders with assistants.
I have never used the phrase as a childminder and don't intend to, even though it has been quoted in the EYFS.
Common sense tells me this is in reference to Early years settings with more than one person working with the children.
You have to remember that Early years settings can be different and the guidelines aren't specific to a childminder, private nursery, preschool or play group or a nursery in a school so some things will apply and some won't. Safer recruitment is another ....someone asked me the other day if they should go in this course...well, having completed safer recruitment training about 8 times in my career I would recomend it out of interest...but if you are a lone childminder with no intention of taking on an assistant then it probably isn't valuable or aimed at you and you may want to use your time developing an area that you are more in need of.
I haven't told my parents that I am their child's keyworker and if an inspector questions me on it I would be prepared to defend my corner...though I doubt they would as they know we are the only person who works with the children.

Simona
06-11-2015, 11:04 PM
Mumofone...it depends how you look at it...for me it is part of our CPPD but many may not see it this way
I am happy with the key person role and can link it to the attachment theory
Maybe if you read excerpts from the book I linked you would understand where I am coming from and why I feel key person is not the same as key worker

Flora Dora...I feel comfortable I was able at any inspection to explain the key person role to any inspector...so yes no need to go into it apart from stating the obvious to parents and putting that role into effective practice.