PDA

View Full Version : Flat rate for after schoolies??

Kitty B
05-11-2015, 08:14 PM
I've been thinking of charging a flat rate for after school care for any future children, say £10 for care from 3 til 5pm, and parent would be charged on top if they required care until (for example) 5.30. I just feel sometimes it's not worth the hassle for just an hours pay (as I've had parents just wanting care til 4pm) what are your thoughts??

mumofone
05-11-2015, 08:37 PM
I've got a mindee who currently attend 20 hours a week but when they start school this will drop to 10 hours a week and provide minimal income for me but hassle. I'm wondering whether it's worth keeping them on as it's taking up a space so I'm interested in this thread because I'm in a quandry over this too...

samb
05-11-2015, 08:42 PM
Yes I do flat rate for school children. I have a breakfast fee from 7:30 til drop off with a breakfast or from 8 no breakfast. Then after school up until 5 with a snack or pick up between 5:30-6 faith a dinner. I don't allow pick ups between 5-5:30 as its dinner here.

BallyH
05-11-2015, 08:55 PM
Yes a flat rate is a good idea or a higher rate if picked up at 4. It depends how you want to run your business. You could also decline any enquiries who want shorter time. I do an hourly rate. The earliest pick up is 5pm.

AliceK
05-11-2015, 09:44 PM
I do a flat rate of £10 which is until 5.30pm and includes a meal. My rate is the same as the local school after school rate but they don't get a meal there, just a snack.

xx

mama2three
06-11-2015, 08:26 AM
I do the same. Set rate is £9 for 3.30-6 including dinner.

natlou82
06-11-2015, 08:40 AM
I started with a flat rate of £10 3pm-6pm including snack and dinner. I have recently changed to £4 per hour with a minimum 2hr charge.

loocyloo
06-11-2015, 08:53 AM
I just charge by hour, with no pick ups 4.30-5.15 as that's teatime. Tea is included if child is here.

I would rather that parents picked child up when they wanted to, rather than leave them for the full hours. I do have a couple of schoolies whose parents pay until 6, but usually pick up at 5.15.

I charge more than local afterschool club, and have had parents ask me to pick up when afterschool club shuts (at 5pm) and are put out when I say no!

mumofone
06-11-2015, 10:01 AM
Id never thought about asking people to avoid picking up at tea time but now wish I had!!

natlou82
06-11-2015, 10:11 AM
I always ask parents to avoid dinner time - far too stressful

bunyip
06-11-2015, 10:26 AM
I introduced a flat rate after it got out of hand with parents wanting to factor in lots of variables, including:

time used
siblings
meal/snack or nothing
and my favourite: "you're already going to collect another child, so why should I pay full whack when it's hardly any extra trouble at all?" :mad:

After a lot of being messed around, the final straw was the mum who wanted me to collect from school, drop off directly at her home, and pay me £1.25 for just the 20 minutes used. :p

tess1981
06-11-2015, 11:41 AM
I introduced a flat rate after it got out of hand with parents wanting to factor in lots of variables, including:

time used
siblings
meal/snack or nothing
and my favourite: "you're already going to collect another child, so why should I pay full whack when it's hardly any extra trouble at all?" :mad:

After a lot of being messed around, the final straw was the mum who wanted me to collect from school, drop off directly at her home, and pay me £1.25 for just the 20 minutes used. :p

Not worth putting extra stress on yourself for that amount... Some people...
I am considering cutting school runs to local play group out next year... prefer a day without schools run especially in this weather

Simona
06-11-2015, 12:14 PM
I just want to remind cms of the following

When the 30 hours childcare comes in and ...if cms choose to pass this on to parents , many of the children who come to us after school like the 3 and 4 year olds will be accessing the 'free' extended childcare and that means at whatever funding rate the DfE chooses to give us.

From 9-12 the school will be funded ...that is 15 hours...we the top up the other 15 hours but still at the funded rate not one we choose ourselves.

if a child goes to a preschool which is not able to extend to 30 hours cms will be asked to share the rest...worth reflecting on.

it is only a few weeks now before we know the amount of funding we will get from the Chancellor...so not long.
In the meantime survey your parents...will they want you to fund the extra 15 hours?

It is important to remember we do not have to provide this extended hours...we can choose not to and the DfE must be aware they will not get their own way!!

kittyrainbow
06-11-2015, 12:30 PM
I just want to remind cms of the following

When the 30 hours childcare comes in and ...if cms choose to pass this on to parents , many of the children who come to us after school like the 3 and 4 year olds will be accessing the 'free' extended childcare and that means at whatever funding rate the DfE chooses to give us.

From 9-12 the school will be funded ...that is 15 hours...we the top up the other 15 hours but still at the funded rate not one we choose ourselves.

if a child goes to a preschool which is not able to extend to 30 hours cms will be asked to share the rest...worth reflecting on.

it is only a few weeks now before we know the amount of funding we will get from the Chancellor...so not long.
In the meantime survey your parents...will they want you to fund the extra 15 hours?

It is important to remember we do not have to provide this extended hours...we can choose not to and the DfE must be aware they will not get their own way!!
I charge £5 per hour with a picnic style tea. No sibling discounts. No set hours.

Simona
06-11-2015, 12:36 PM
I charge £5 per hour with a picnic style tea. No sibling discounts. No set hours.

I used to charge more than that.
I was referring to those children who we care after school now but will soon get double the free hours...we will not be able to charge what we want but what we get from the LAs.

As said it is not compulsory to give 30 hours so in that case we can charge what we feel is appropriate for our sustainability

loocyloo
06-11-2015, 01:57 PM
I used to charge more than that.
I was referring to those children who we care after school now but will soon get double the free hours...we will not be able to charge what we want but what we get from the LAs.

As said it is not compulsory to give 30 hours so in that case we can charge what we feel is appropriate for our sustainability

if the funding payment per hour is less than my hourly rate, then I will not be offering it!

Simona
06-11-2015, 02:13 PM
if the funding payment per hour is less than my hourly rate, then I will not be offering it!

Totally in agreement there!!
In the current discussion on this issue we are being told to be 'cautious'...until we have an offer on the table we cannot decide.
Those who will pilot will do so in Sept 2016 if their LA is in the pilot...the rest will join the scheme in Sept 2017.

It is important to remember we cannot say yes now and need to say to the DfE we need to reflect and maybe not give the full 30 hours...it is our choice.

If you have time watch the video I just posted on the 30 hours...you may agree it is inconclusive, frustrating the DfE cannot answer a simple question and many answers were skipped...especially the one I put on what guarantee we have LAs will stop creaming off the new funding?
With 4 Children driving this I am unsure where we are going :thumbsup: