PDA

View Full Version : Safety now its getting darker

mumofone
04-11-2015, 10:42 AM
Some school pick ups are now being done now it's considerably darker later in the day and I guess will continue to get darker. It got me thinking as to the safety of the children on the walk home. I don't really want them in high vis jackets or anything but did wonder about a reflective strip on their backs/bags but I'm not entirely comfortable with it. What measures do you guys put in place for keeping kids safe in the dark? Thanks ...

loocyloo
04-11-2015, 01:59 PM
We wear hi viz waistcoats. Makes everyone visable. I have hi viz stripes on my buggy.

My own dd has to have a hi viz if she wants to walk/scoot home alone.

I have a childminder friend who doesn't want to make her children stand out as different, so they don't wear hi viz. I'd rather keep my children safe!

mama2three
04-11-2015, 02:12 PM
Mine have armbands a little like these... High Visibility 4 LED Reflective Hi Vis Cycling Armband Ankle Safety Velcro 2PC | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Visibility-4-LED-Reflective-Hi-Vis-Cycling-Armband-Ankle-Safety-Velcro-2PC-/390806283394?hash=item5afddea482:g:ewEAAOSw5ZBWL3o x) though I must admit the battery in some of them has died so I need to replace them . To be honest they stay safe enough just through close supervision , but any little extra can only be good. In some ways its better now its getting darker ..certainly cars coming off drives as they're easier to spot with their lights on!

natlou82
04-11-2015, 02:32 PM
I also use hi vis jackets and hi vis straps for older ones.

FloraDora
04-11-2015, 06:20 PM
We walk out with the torches in the dark early evenings - the LO's love this in the dark park- I have loads of torches that charge by winding, some flash too and shine different colours......I have also got some dangly refector shapes that I pop on thier buttons and zip tag for extra visibility when walking around the estate - but they are right next to me so it isn't really necessary and we always cross the small estate roads together...when no cars are around.
Torch play on the school run might be fun though!