PDA

View Full Version : Tips and tricks

mumofone
04-11-2015, 09:33 AM
I realised yesterday that I'm getting better with the children I look after and am learning some time saving tips and tricks along the way. I wondered whether anyone has any childminding tips/tricks or other to share that makes your life easier?

redtiger21
04-11-2015, 08:01 PM
Great idea for a thread! I'd say teaching them to put their coats and shoes on as young as possible is really helpful in the mornings (and parents are usually impressed!) X

redtiger21
04-11-2015, 08:05 PM
I'm going to attempt to describe how I teach the tiny ones to put their own coats on (I'm sure many many will be familiar with this, but the odd person might find it useful):
Place coat on floor in front of child with the hood/top of coat facing child, arms of coat stretched out at sides. Child bends over, puts their hands in the arm holes (essentially upside down), then lifts coat up over their own head and down their back, while their hands go further into the arm holes. The coat will end up on them properly! :)

FloraDora
04-11-2015, 08:19 PM
Good suggestion - Perhaps you could share yours mumophone too?

Rebecca Foster
04-11-2015, 08:20 PM
fantastic x

moggy
04-11-2015, 08:35 PM
I'm going to attempt to describe how I teach the tiny ones to put their own coats on (I'm sure many many will be familiar with this, but the odd person might find it useful):
Place coat on floor in front of child with the hood/top of coat facing child, arms of coat stretched out at sides. Child bends over, puts their hands in the arm holes (essentially upside down), then lifts coat up over their own head and down their back, while their hands go further into the arm holes. The coat will end up on them properly! :)

We do this too- it is a Montessori method.

loocyloo
04-11-2015, 08:38 PM

We do that too 'magic coat' .... 3 almost 2yr olds impressed a coach party of OAPs in local coffee shop yesterday doing this!

I second teaching them to get shoes on and off as young/soon as possible!

I try to make sure my bag always has nappies/wipes and a snack in. As soon as we get home I refill anything that I've used, so bag is ready to go.

Other tip is to try and prep things for meals/activities either before the children arrive or during a nap/quiet time.

mumofone
04-11-2015, 08:45 PM
This is going to sound really obvious but I realised yesterday I should prepare my mindees lunch prior to picking them up from pre school so we were all ready to have lunch once we got back.

My other one is setting expectations out clearly.

My new one is for them to start getting socks on half an hour before parents are due to arrive.

I am now good at pre-emoting badly timed toilet trips so I get them to go at convenient times ie. Before we go out on the school run, when we get back from pre school etc

mumofone
04-11-2015, 08:45 PM
This is going to sound really obvious but I realised yesterday I should prepare my mindees lunch prior to picking them up from pre school so we were all ready to have lunch once we got back. My other one is setting expectations out clearly. My new one is for them to start getting socks on half an hour before parents are due to arrive. I am now good at pre-emoting badly timed toilet trips so I get them to go at convenient times ie. Before we go out on the school run, when we get back from pre school etc

*pre-empting

Maza
04-11-2015, 09:02 PM
Getting the children to tidy up before they go home. It's hard when they all go home at different times or if you have children of your own who might still be playing but when I manage to do that it does make my evenings run smoother.

Mouse
04-11-2015, 10:01 PM
Getting the children to tidy up before they go home. It's hard when they all go home at different times or if you have children of your own who might still be playing but when I manage to do that it does make my evenings run smoother.

I was going to say the same!

The children do go home at different times, but we tidy up a lot of the stuff and have out the quiet 'home time' resources. They're things like busy bags, or books - things that can be quickly put back in the bag or box before we go to the door.

mumofone
04-11-2015, 11:05 PM
Oh my other one is to change all nappies downstairs, I was running up and down the stairs what seemed like 100 times to change nappies when it's easier just to go in the next room and do it!

FloraDora
05-11-2015, 07:20 AM
My invitation trays have helped in encouraging next steps.....I know their next steps and find opportunities in their play, but sometimes I got to the end of the day and hadn't found an opportunity to develop them.....I do plan activities and adult focussed too but I find that if I set up a montessori style tray and leave them on the hearth ...they are inviting the children to play with something that will specifically help in encouraging a LO's next steps. Sometimes they have a week of really focussed interest in something ...which doesn't easily allow me to cover an individual's next steps.... At some point one of them takes the tray and explores it which encourages another child ( hopefully the one it was set up for). If no one takes up the invite, it reminds me, and I can start exploring it which encourages them.

What I would really like in the den is somewhere to store my trays! A self service cafe style tray store would be great.....I went to an auction the other week but was too scared to bid when it actually came to auction time! The one I had my eye on went for£20 though...so I need to pluck up courage!

lollipop kid
05-11-2015, 09:30 AM
My invitation trays have helped in encouraging next steps.....I know their next steps and find opportunities in their play, but sometimes I got to the end of the day and hadn't found an opportunity to develop them.....I do plan activities and adult focussed too but I find that if I set up a montessori style tray and leave them on the hearth ...they are inviting the children to play with something that will specifically help in encouraging a LO's next steps. Sometimes they have a week of really focussed interest in something ...which doesn't easily allow me to cover an individual's next steps.... At some point one of them takes the tray and explores it which encourages another child ( hopefully the one it was set up for). If no one takes up the invite, it reminds me, and I can start exploring it which encourages them.

What I would really like in the den is somewhere to store my trays! A self service cafe style tray store would be great.....I went to an auction the other week but was too scared to bid when it actually came to auction time! The one I had my eye on went for£20 though...so I need to pluck up courage!

I've done something using a pot lid holder, which is great at storing books in my playhouse. (I just have to remind the children to bring the books back in again). I was wondering if something similar could help you with your trays? (I'm imagining a made up tray inside a bag with elastic bands around it, then stored at an angle in the pan lid holder. Ikea do these for a couple of pounds). Edited to close the bracket, which I always seem to forget to do!

Just a thought and fantastic idea!

LK

Maza
05-11-2015, 09:44 AM
I wish I had known about the tray type of activities when my DD was much younger. Although I did snippets of the concept in other contexts, if that makes any sense. I enjoyed setting up the tray activities for mindees and they were generally very popular. I have read quite a few blogs (mostly American) where tray activities are a big part of everyday life.

Were you after storage for your pre-prepared trays for use that day or storage to hold all of your tray style resources when not in use?

FloraDora
05-11-2015, 10:38 AM
I wish I had known about the tray type of activities when my DD was much younger. Although I did snippets of the concept in other contexts, if that makes any sense. I enjoyed setting up the tray activities for mindees and they were generally very popular. I have read quite a few blogs (mostly American) where tray activities are a big part of everyday life.

Were you after storage for your pre-prepared trays for use that day or storage to hold all of your tray style resources when not in use?

I have white catering small and large trays that stack and store under the bureau....but once made I have run out of storage for them ...I might want to have them available for a fortnight...I used to keep them on open shelves....montessori style...but my growing resources make this tricky now.
DH suggests high shelves on wall but this room is a bedroom if all the family stay and I want it to be easily whipped back into a no childminding clues home.....
It is a constant dilemma - making my home efficient and easy to use for childminding and keeping as a home too....a home without children!
My trays are a really good resource as another tip. I got 4 free as samples from a catering company ....I suggested I was a nursery ..they also sent me 4 free school lunch trays samples too....I then ordered a few more when I used them so much.

Mouse
05-11-2015, 11:39 AM
I've managed to pick up some trays from charity shops and carboot sales. They're usually pretty cheap as no one else seems to want them!

I've got some lovely wooden ones that we use for all sorts of activities :thumbsup:

lollipop kid
05-11-2015, 12:26 PM
FloraDora - I saw this on Pinterest and thought of your trays. If you know someone who is handy with wood, they could possible knock something similar up for you?

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/5b/66/9c/5b669c6479460bbc4667f62150a9b4f5.jpg

All the best,

LK

Maza
05-11-2015, 01:16 PM
FloraDora - I saw this on Pinterest and thought of your trays. If you know someone who is handy with wood, they could possible knock something similar up for you?

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/5b/66/9c/5b669c6479460bbc4667f62150a9b4f5.jpg

All the best,

LK

I believe Mr Floradora is handy with wood. Sorry, just wanted to say 'Mr Floradora'!

FloraDora
05-11-2015, 02:02 PM
I have shown Mr FLoradora the design ....which he thinks he could adapt ...but only if I don't now refer to him as Mr FD! ....it's where we would put it that's the issue! But it has made him think about making me a trolley ...which could go iin the shed or garage when not childminding.
He currently is languishing in bed though as he has a very bad cold. ( I have had a taste of your lives and actually made breakfast and lunch yesterday and today.....I don't like it!)
Thanks for your ideas!

k1rstie
05-11-2015, 04:09 PM
I suggested I was a nursery ..they also sent me 4 free school lunch trays samples too....I then ordered a few more when I used them so much.

I would love a set of the school plates with the times tables on them. They are pricey

hectors house
05-11-2015, 10:28 PM
Going back to tips & tricks - I encourage all the children to climb into their own car seats and put their arms through the straps (ensuring they aren't sitting on the middle one) reaching round to find their straps is also good practice for putting own coats on. All the children are also encouraged to climb into their booster seats at the table too - both of these came out of necessity when I struggled for 2 years with a frozen shoulder and needed them to be more independent.

loocyloo
06-11-2015, 07:22 AM
Going back to tips & tricks - I encourage all the children to climb into their own car seats and put their arms through the straps (ensuring they aren't sitting on the middle one) reaching round to find their straps is also good practice for putting own coats on. All the children are also encouraged to climb into their booster seats at the table too - both of these came out of necessity when I struggled for 2 years with a frozen shoulder and needed them to be more independent.

Oh yes
... I do that too, and climb into buggy/find straps. :-)

FloraDora
06-11-2015, 08:12 AM
I put everything for the table on the side and the children set the table themselves too.....it's a favourite activity so a time saving tip but also the children like it- I occasionally will deliberately not give enough cutlery or glasses and they talk together about this before telling me...good early maths. They get up to the table on their own too and attempt to fasten themselves in...but one of our boosters is more tricky....all adds to them being occupied as I serve too.

hectors house
06-11-2015, 08:54 AM
I put everything for the table on the side and the children set the table themselves too.....it's a favourite activity so a time saving tip but also the children like it- I occasionally will deliberately not give enough cutlery or glasses and they talk together about this before telling me...good early maths. They get up to the table on their own too and attempt to fasten themselves in...but one of our boosters is more tricky....all adds to them being occupied as I serve too.

I do this too, sometimes I trick them by putting out too many forks and no spoons - they generally have picture cutlery and sometimes I tell them to choose a matching set and sometimes I tell them to choose a different knife, spoon & fork so they are all odd.

loocyloo
06-11-2015, 08:59 AM

Everyone keeps reminding me what I do ... But I don't think of them as tips or tricks ... It's just what I do to encourage independence!

Mine get their own cups/plates out of cupboard and I give them/put on the table cutlery for them to put out. They tell me what they need.
They put their empty dishes on the side or sometimes in the dishwasher.
They get their own clean flannels from the drawer to wash faces and hands after a meal. And then put them ready to wash.
They like to sweep after a meal if messy.

FloraDora
06-11-2015, 02:51 PM
Everyone keeps reminding me what I do ... But I don't think of them as tips or tricks ... It's just what I do to encourage independence!

Mine get their own cups/plates out of cupboard and I give them/put on the table cutlery for them to put out. They tell me what they need.
They put their empty dishes on the side or sometimes in the dishwasher.
They get their own clean flannels from the drawer to wash faces and hands after a meal. And then put them ready to wash.
They like to sweep after a meal if messy.

I agree that it is just encouraging independence....but I put it down as a tip because it aids our job and I known a lot of the ofsted reports I have read recently have homed in on the child' independence and given suggestions for childminders to do this...it's a double whammy, like the car and booster seat...they become independent and we get help with the tasks !
I always get the children to dust with me on a Friday morning too - they have the things they dust and I polish as they do it...all ready for the weekend and the children love it...one said on arrival today " it's Friday - can I have the blue duster toda?! ( I have duster mits and the blue one is their favourite).

loocyloo
06-11-2015, 06:57 PM
I agree that it is just encouraging independence....but I put it down as a tip because it aids our job and I known a lot of the ofsted reports I have read recently have homed in on the child' independence and given suggestions for childminders to do this...it's a double whammy, like the car and booster seat...they become independent and we get help with the tasks !
I always get the children to dust with me on a Friday morning too - they have the things they dust and I polish as they do it...all ready for the weekend and the children love it...one said on arrival today " it's Friday - can I have the blue duster toda?! ( I have duster mits and the blue one is their favourite).

Lol ... I used to have a mindee who loved Friday afternoons as she was the last one here and we used to put the guinea pigs in their indoor run and clean out the cage for the weekend!

Maza
06-11-2015, 08:14 PM
Lol ... I used to have a mindee who loved Friday afternoons as she was the last one here and we used to put the guinea pigs in their indoor run and clean out the cage for the weekend!

Oh she must have loved that!

It's funny how they love chores as children (especially dusting and sweeping). It soon wears off though.

natlou82
07-11-2015, 08:59 AM
Probably my best tip is to use the slow cooker wherever possible, sometimes I prepare first thing before anyone arrives or whilst they are having breakfast and put on low, or wait till LOs are asleep after lunch and put on high. Makes life so much easier at dinner time :-)

BallyH
07-11-2015, 11:15 AM
I keep thinking 'surely I must have a tip to share' but can't think as we do so many things automatically it's hard to think that everybody else doesn't also. For me independance is a big must. The new and youngest learn from the older lo's and I give so so much parise they soon want to do it themselves. I love the post of the coat on the floor. Will try that one thank you.

Suppose I always like to get my shopping delivered online for the weeks menu and the lo's like to help with it once delivered. They enjoy looking in the bags and sorting onto the lower shelves etc.

But also to make sure that the mindees car seats are back in position on Sunday evenings. It's no joke wriggling around in a car, monday morning, with 3 lo's inside it also, trying to fit car seats as I didn't leave them in the house alone. Done this in the rain once, never again!

natlou82
07-11-2015, 11:43 AM
I'm with you on online shopping. I have recently started a rotating menu so I can now just reorder from the corresponding week, quick check, add / remove a couple of items. This has reduced my online shop time from about 45 mins to 10 mins :-).

BallyH
07-11-2015, 11:50 AM
I'm with you on online shopping. I have recently started a rotating menu so I can now just reorder from the corresponding week, quick check, add / remove a couple of items. This has reduced my online shop time from about 45 mins to 10 mins :-).

I like this! Am on a plan that I can get as many deliveries as I want over the week if I spend over £40. Definately save money instead of going to the store.

tess1981
07-11-2015, 02:40 PM
I like this! Am on a plan that I can get as many deliveries as I want over the week if I spend over £40. Definately save money instead of going to the store.

I give my groceries delivered every Wednesday between 3 and 4 only have one lo that day and he goes to bed at 2.30 and sleeps until mum collects at 3.50. It saves me so much time this way. I can get it done in 15 mins.

FloraDora
07-11-2015, 07:40 PM

It is very tempting...but I love supermarket shopping! I love looking at offers and re thinking meals, or seeing something we haven't had for a while gives me inspiration.
24 hour shopping is my favourite...I am up at dawn or earlier ( it's an old person's and no children thing) and DH and I go out early sometimes.... Nobody else is there! On the other hand I like an evening shop followed by the excuse to pick up a chinese takeaway on the way home....but this does encourage mid week wine.
Weekend shopping means meeting folks we know ...so takes ages...but it's nice...I'm the one that blocks the aisles nattering!

loocyloo
07-11-2015, 10:00 PM
It is very tempting...but I love supermarket shopping! I love looking at offers and re thinking meals, or seeing something we haven't had for a while gives me inspiration.
24 hour shopping is my favourite...I am up at dawn or earlier ( it's an old person's and no children thing) and DH and I go out early sometimes.... Nobody else is there! On the other hand I like an evening shop followed by the excuse to pick up a chinese takeaway on the way home....but this does encourage mid week wine.
Weekend shopping means meeting folks we know ...so takes ages...but it's nice...I'm the one that blocks the aisles nattering!

I have my shopping delivered 3 weeks out of 4, the 4 th week i go to the supermarket .... but as it's a 90 min round trip to a big supermarket, 60 min round trip to medium supermarket or 30 min to a lidl and small co-op/independent shops/market in town (i top up with milk/fruit/veg etc here ) .... i prefer the delivery - it also means I only buy what I need!

hectors house
07-11-2015, 10:18 PM

I keep thinking that I may try click & collect for all the boring things that I buy week in, week out but I would like to go into the shop to choose my own meat, fish, fruit & veg.

BallyH
07-11-2015, 10:23 PM
I keep thinking that I may try click & collect for all the boring things that I buy week in, week out but I would like to go into the shop to choose my own meat, fish, fruit & veg.

Yes I agree, the fresh 'stuff' can be hit and miss some weeks.

mumofone
08-11-2015, 08:18 AM
I keep thinking 'surely I must have a tip to share' but can't think as we do so many things automatically it's hard to think that everybody else doesn't also. For me independance is a big must. The new and youngest learn from the older lo's and I give so so much parise they soon want to do it themselves. I love the post of the coat on the floor. Will try that one thank you. Suppose I always like to get my shopping delivered online for the weeks menu and the lo's like to help with it once delivered. They enjoy looking in the bags and sorting onto the lower shelves etc. But also to make sure that the mindees car seats are back in position on Sunday evenings. It's no joke wriggling around in a car, monday morning, with 3 lo's inside it also, trying to fit car seats as I didn't leave them in the house alone. Done this in the rain once, never again!

The putting the car seats back is a brilliant one...which reminds me I need to do that today!!!
Thank you! :-) x

redtiger21
08-11-2015, 05:46 PM
The putting the car seats back is a brilliant one...which reminds me I need to do that today!!!
Thank you! :-) x

Hehehe yes I've just done mine too, thanks!

mumofone
11-11-2015, 09:15 PM
I like the coat method you all use.
I've started standing behind my mindee to do their cost up as found I was fumbling around and couldn't do it facing them - another thing I've just learnt!