PDA

View Full Version : Child with a disability

Chellewilks
03-11-2015, 02:16 PM
Hi ladies,

Could anyone give me information/advice taking on a child with global development delay?

Any information much appreciated.

Many thanks

JCrakers
03-11-2015, 02:26 PM
I would speak with the parents to get a good idea of the child's development and gather as much info as you can from them as children can differ with different needs. What they do at home, how they do things etc. Then the starting points will be the same as any other child.

Ask if you will need any additional resources...what areas they would like you to concentrate on?

Gather loads of info off the internet and have a good knowledge of the child and their additional needs.

Chellewilks
03-11-2015, 02:37 PM
Thank you Jcrackers.

I have been gathering information from the internet, child goes to nursery every morning, mum needing wrap around care. Going to ask for he's LJ from nursery. anything else I can ask from them?

moggy
03-11-2015, 02:44 PM
You could ask to see the child at nursery, if that is possible for you- to see how they make adaptations for him, and to talk with key worker.
See if child has any other agencies involved- speech and language therepy for example, ask to be included in seeing reports and action plans etc.
Talk to your LA- do they have any support for you, they may have a team supporting SEND families who can also help you. Ask if there is any funding available to help you support this child.
But mainly you need to find out the specific needs of this child as an individual and work from there.