PDA

View Full Version : Others opinions! Just for fun!

mumofone
02-11-2015, 08:01 AM
I wondered what others peoples opinions are of you childminding. My house after mindees have gone doesn't really resemble an assumed childminders house. I also have a fairly serious personality in that I'm not silly and fun unless I'm with my son in private or with mindees working. I saw my Mother in law recently and she said "I'm sure you're good" but with the insinuation that I'm probably not or with an element of suprise in her voice! I just wondered if others encounter this type of thing too?

loocyloo
02-11-2015, 08:38 AM
Most people seem to assume I'm totally mad! And then, that I want to spend my time off looking after children whilst at a party/fair/shopping etc.

I'm also the 'go to' person if things need doing as I'm seen as being organised and in control! (If only they knew! )...But as an old boss says 'if you want something doing, ask a busy person'

But all my friends have either only ever known me working with children or if they knew me at school - knew that's what I was going to do!

tess1981
02-11-2015, 09:10 AM
Most people seem to assume I'm totally mad! And then, that I want to spend my time off looking after children whilst at a party/fair/shopping etc.

I'm also the 'go to' person if things need doing as I'm seen as being organised and in control! (If only they knew! )...But as an old boss says 'if you want something doing, ask a busy person'

But all my friends have either only ever known me working with children or if they knew me at school - knew that's what I was going to do!

That's a bug bear of mine... I work with children so therefore I must want to spend my free time looking after them. Have been asked several times to help out at the community centre running activities for children... eh no thanks... I don't want to run the youth club on a Friday night or do weekly baking classes or what ever they ask I did help out with the Halloween party this year as I got to scare the children and didn't have to look after them lol

BallyH
02-11-2015, 09:27 AM
Yes tess 1981 I also use to get asked to do a lot of volunteer 'childcare' activities! I've been told I'm 'always calm and very much in control' of the mindees. If only they could see me after hours, my teenage son asked recently 'why are you always so stressy?'.

As the mindees are our best advert I do try to be seen as 'calm & in control' whilst out and about.

Good thread.

tess1981
02-11-2015, 10:06 AM
Yes tess 1981 I also use to get asked to do a lot of volunteer 'childcare' activities! I've been told I'm 'always calm and very much in control' of the mindees. If only they could see me after hours, my teenage son asked recently 'why are you always so stressy?'.

As the mindees are our best advert I do try to be seen as 'calm & in control' whilst out and about.

Good thread.

My own children are 16 and 14. I counted up one day I have been changing nappies for 25 years (my baby sister is 25). Mu eldest nephew is 22 so I have minding chidren from he was born. Also babysitting neighbours and friends children regularly and registered officially for 8 years. And I'm only 34 lol my time away from children is very precious and guarded . I have just turned down a position to lead the youth club and I don't care what they think lol

BallyH
02-11-2015, 10:24 AM
My own children are 16 and 14. I counted up one day I have been changing nappies for 25 years (my baby sister is 25). Mu eldest nephew is 22 so I have minding chidren from he was born. Also babysitting neighbours and friends children regularly and registered officially for 8 years. And I'm only 34 lol my time away from children is very precious and guarded . I have just turned down a position to lead the youth club and I don't care what they think lol

My little sister is 14 years younger and I've been changing nappies over approximately 34 years! And dare I admit it whilst triple tasking, recently, I put a nappy under a child the wrong way round! I thought the nappy was dodgy as couldn't find the velcro bits. Lol.

JCrakers
02-11-2015, 10:29 AM
Everyone comments on how calm I am on the school run.. but I have to be. Can you imagine if I was screaming like a banshee :laughing:

I put all my energy into being calm for 10hrs a day that when dh hubby comes in from work, if he does one thing wrong I literally bite his head off. :blush: Its a hard job.

People also assume that I like to be around children at weekends but for me its the opposite. I try to stay from children at weekends...as far away as possible. I like my spare time and if we go out for a meal and theres a childrens party or a screaming baby i've been known to swap tables.

Maza
02-11-2015, 11:06 AM
Mumofone your post made me laugh. Have you read our MIL thread?

Some mums in the community do think I can be a local drop off (they are willing to pay me, but I think they would have a shock if I actually told them my fees). They might want a few hours here and there which I don't mind if I have the space BUT they haven't for one minute considered that I wouldn't want their little ...well, erm, brat, in my home. We say as childminders that the children are ads for us, but they are for their parents too. Most of these mums I have met at playgroups and so have already seen how they behave. I just politely tell them that I don't have space. It is odd how they just assume your door is always open to any child.

tess1981
02-11-2015, 12:42 PM
Everyone comments on how calm I am on the school run.. but I have to be. Can you imagine if I was screaming like a banshee :laughing:

I put all my energy into being calm for 10hrs a day that when dh hubby comes in from work, if he does one thing wrong I literally bite his head off. :blush: Its a hard job.

People also assume that I like to be around children at weekends but for me its the opposite. I try to stay from children at weekends...as far away as possible. I like my spare time and if we go out for a meal and theres a childrens party or a screaming baby i've been known to swap tables.

I have left a restaurant due to a noisy bunch of children (and adults) waiter gave us our drinks and looked very sorry we drank them and went up to the bar saying we would not be ordering food due to the noise. people ask me to children's parties and I now say no I have had enough noise and children all week I don't want any extra (sister was a little miffed when I said would not be going to nephews party... I pointed out there would be 15 screaming children and I had better things to do )

mumofone
02-11-2015, 07:26 PM
Mumofone your post made me laugh. Have you read our MIL thread? Some mums in the community do think I can be a local drop off (they are willing to pay me, but I think they would have a shock if I actually told them my fees). They might want a few hours here and there which I don't mind if I have the space BUT they haven't for one minute considered that I wouldn't want their little ...well, erm, brat, in my home. We say as childminders that the children are ads for us, but they are for their parents too. Most of these mums I have met at playgroups and so have already seen how they behave. I just politely tell them that I don't have space. It is odd how they just assume your door is always open to any child.

Hi maza, no! Where do I find the mil thread? I could spend hours sounding off about mine!!!

Maza
02-11-2015, 08:37 PM
Hi maza, no! Where do I find the mil thread? I could spend hours sounding off about mine!!!

Oh please do enlighten us. I find it so funny (unless they are nasty/cruel) and comforting that it's not just mine who drives me potty. I think the thread might be in members only unfortunately.

sing-low
02-11-2015, 09:31 PM
Oh please do enlighten us. I find it so funny (unless they are nasty/cruel) and comforting that it's not just mine who drives me potty. I think the thread might be in members only unfortunately.
Surely mumofone is eligible for green membership by now (or not far off)?

SYLVIA
02-11-2015, 10:01 PM
I think people think I love children with me all the time too. It makes me smile when I've been on holiday n the parents ask if I've missed the children. I Just ask them if they miss their work and office when their on hols!!

Maza
02-11-2015, 10:32 PM
I think people think I love children with me all the time too. It makes me smile when I've been on holiday n the parents ask if I've missed the children. I Just ask them if they miss their work and office when their on hols!!

Haha, I don't think I'd be brave enough to say that! One year, I swapped days so that I could watch my daughter's nativity in peace (we aren't actually allowed to take little ones anyway). When one dad collected his son on the swapped day he said "Did he enjoy the nativity?" He thought I had swapped days so that I COULD take his very noisy son to see my daughter's nativity. As if!

Mouse
03-11-2015, 06:21 AM

I get asked that as well. One mum even sends me regular photos and updates of her son so I'm not missing out on what he's doing! She always says "I bet you miss him when he's not here"...umm, no!

greenfaerie
03-11-2015, 12:31 PM
My family and anyone who's seen me with little ones seems to be complimentary about me, people always praise my organisational skills. Though I think I'm good at putting on a show since I feel like I've been pulled in 10 directions and been dragged through a hedge backwards by the end of the day! *phew*

I do quite like spending time with kids outside work, but as long as it doesn't feel like work. And I definitely need a good amount of quiet time. (Well as much as I can with my own 2 year old!) :)

Ellisha
03-11-2015, 01:43 PM
People seem to think I some kind of super human, super mum! Asking me why I would look after other kids when I have a 2 year old and 4 year old of my own. Most of my friends and family think I'm calm and in control - I do try! Not so easy my 2 year old is having a good old tantrum.