PDA

View Full Version : Remembrance day

mumofone
29-10-2015, 04:58 PM
Does anyone ever do anything poppy related with their mindees in aid of Remembrance Day? How does it go down, what Dyou do, what she's etc?

mumofone
29-10-2015, 04:59 PM
Does anyone ever do anything poppy related with their mindees in aid of Remembrance Day? How does it go down, what Dyou do, what she's etc?

That should say "what ages"!

Maza
29-10-2015, 05:20 PM
To be honest I haven't ever done anything with mindees on this subject. I've only ever had babies/pre schoolers though. DDs school does quite a lot around it - this year she is due to go on a visit to a poppy factory amongst other things. I talk about it a lot with DD (6) and it can bring up some 'tricky' questions. We always go and choose a poppy together.

Lal
29-10-2015, 05:34 PM
Last year with my dd (4yrs) and my 2 mindees 2 & 3 yrs I made tissue paper poppies and we watched the silence on television (if that makes sense). I said we were going to do some quiet thinking about brave people. I checked both families were happy for me to do mark the event, both were pleased I was doing something (one family is military).
It is something I feel is important to do and to encourage children to do. I would not expect a very young child to be silent, but in the past when I've been out and about with little ones I've always had a snack ready to give them to help them to be quiet.

sarah707
29-10-2015, 05:42 PM
We buy a poppy, chat to the poppy seller then come back and find out about poppy fields and we give age-appropriate information about why we use poppies to remember.

Last year the older children made poppies while the little ones painted with red...

loocyloo
29-10-2015, 05:49 PM
We buy a poppy, chat to the poppy seller then come back and find out about poppy fields and we give age-appropriate information about why we use poppies to remember.

Last year the older children made poppies while the little ones painted with red...

same here.

we've painted paper plates, and added a black centre in the past.

last year all my LOs had been discussing it at nursery, so in the morning of the 11th we made red poppies and strung them on a ribbon. we listened to last post. in the afternoon we took our poppies up to the local war memorial and added them to the others. ( well, round the other side, not with all the official wreathes ) Mindees talked about it for ages, and told everyone at nursery.

babs
01-11-2015, 09:23 PM
Buy poppy talk about the colour red , visit monument in village look at poppies,make poppy pictures by printing with apple cut in half,

natlou82
01-11-2015, 09:40 PM
Thanks for all these great ideas - inspired x

FloraDora
02-11-2015, 09:48 AM
I used the British Legion posters that I get sent every year- I actually initially thought that they would be too old but my 2/3 year olds were fascinated by the soldiers which linked in to remembering with the poppies from a Flanders field.....grandparents of LO's were impressed with their knowldge!
Like Sarah, We go and buy poppies together....which gives us an opportunity to talk again..and talk to the elderly British Legion chap who sells them at the co-op..My dad was a d day veteran, a signalman who guided the fated Americans on Omaha beach, some who drowned.....he was desperately signalling 'don't drop yet'! ....and so he was invited back by the bbc to talk so we look at the little book and an expert of the programme ....and I tell them the reality that he returned but lots of his friends didn't and some needed help....poppy talk again.....backed up with lots of poppy craft, arranging the lovely poppies we bought at the Arboretum, attending the local parade....just drip feeding .....
I take lots of photos of flowers and poppies are a favourite, we grow a variety to photograph so I've made a sorting game with flowers...at this time of the year we sort poppies/ not poppies and use the dried laminated ones to count with.....and as a setting for the toy soldiers that they play with at this time too. The emphasis being on survival, not death....
The dried ones from the summer are taken out of their press now and we make a picture with them.....it's good for handling delicate things and we press loads so breakages are fine too.
On the day, I have put together a series of images that we look at during the week...including photos of the children doing the activities it lasts for a minute ....so we watch this slideshow on the tv in silence and think about the people who died or were hurt....the visual means they all are able to participate.....then we watch the Queen...
I love doing them all....
Fun craft and stories and experiences. ......means that it's kept alive.