PDA

View Full Version : Lonely job!!! Not much adult company

Childminder16
28-10-2015, 11:34 PM
Hi does any other childminders get lonely doing this job? I used to go to playgroups when I had kids around when the groups were on but now they are at school/nursery (groups only seemed to be on in mornings), I don't see many childminders now and because of that I seemed to have lost my confidence a lot and therefore I'm not enjoying the job as much, although some could say 'don't know how you do it!', it can be an rewarding job.

Sorry for the moan!!

Mouse
29-10-2015, 07:56 AM
Perhaps some of the other childminders are in a similar situation and are missing adult company as well. Could you arrange to visit some in the afternoon or invite them to your house on a play date? Or see how many others would be interested in setting up an afternoon group?

Do you have any childminding groups that meet? There'd be nothing stopping you from dropping in from time to time, even if you haven't got any children with you. You'll probably end up being the one that has to make the drinks, but at least you'll be keeping in touch with everyone.

Or look around for toddler groups that meet in the afternoon. I know the Sure Start centres near us do activities sessions in the afternoons and I found a couple of local church toddler groups that meet in the afternoon, which suited me better.

JCrakers
29-10-2015, 08:00 AM
It is a lonely job.. when I first started I went to a childminding group but most childminders sat there moaning and the kids were running riot. I decided it wasn't for me as I came away feeling worse.

It took 5yrs to find another childminder who lives up the road, she had just registered and I contacted her through email and now we see each other at school and at groups. Its made the job a whole lot better.

How about doing what I did and contact through email, introduce yourself :thumbsup: I got details off her website

ziggy
29-10-2015, 05:37 PM
know how you feel. I gave up childminding earlier this year as i missed adult company. Had been going to same toddler group for over 10years and got fed up of same conversations. So found job in a day nursery where staff were all very friendly BUT we never had time to hardly speak during working hours and only got 30mins for lunch.

I do understand that minding can be lonely, especially if you dont have other minders nearby or groups available.

Good advice given already, just really wanted to say there are worse things in childcare than lack of adult company, which sadly I have found out the hard way

Maza
29-10-2015, 05:55 PM
Coming on here helps with loneliness! We are your colleagues. Good advice already given. Also, if you can't see people during the working day then maybe you need to make sure your social life makes up for it in the evenings and at weekends! Easier said than done, I know, but could you take up a hobby or join a book club/running club/pub quiz team etc? It will give you something to look forward to. x

hectors house
29-10-2015, 06:28 PM
Our town has a independent childminders network, there is a toddler group on a Monday & Friday but I tend to have older children on those days who already go to Nursery (on day when not with me), so I prefer to meet up with another like minded childminder and we go for walks to local woods with the mindees and our dogs.

So what do you like doing with the children, could you invite other childminders to meet you at the park, soft play, story time at the library or could you do as Mouse said and go occasionally to the groups even though you don't have any children - I used to do this with one of the childminding toddler groups, I helped set it up but then the children's centre needed to change the day and it was on my day off - so to keep in touch I used to pop in for half an hour once a month, just to keep in touch with the others.

saira
11-12-2015, 10:56 PM
..I have moved to new oscott
Our town has a independent childminders network, there is a toddler group on a Monday & Friday but I tend to have older children on those days who already go to Nursery (on day when not with me), so I prefer to meet up with another like minded childminder and we go for walks to local woods with the mindees and our dogs.

So what do you like doing with the children, could you invite other childminders to meet you at the park, soft play, story time at the library or could you do as Mouse said and go occasionally to the groups even though you don't have any children - I used to do this with one of the childminding toddler groups, I helped set it up but then the children's centre needed to change the day and it was on my day off - so to keep in touch I used to pop in for half an hour once a month, just to keep in touch with the others.