PDA

View Full Version : Lego recommendation please.

Mouse
27-10-2015, 11:07 AM
I've got plenty of Duplo, Megablocks etc, but think the children I look after now (all round about 4 years old) would prefer something a bit more "grown up".

Do you use normal Lego with pre-schoolers? Can they manage the pieces themselves? I was planning on getting a box of pieces rather than a kit, so they would be able to make their own things.

Maza
27-10-2015, 11:25 AM
My last mindee had just turned four and had received some lego for his birthday. He used to bring his models from home to show me - he absolutely loved it. He was a real petrol head and so all his lego kits were transport themed and he used to play with them really well after he had built them. My DD got bits of lego when she was in reception but it wasn't really a hit with her, she loved making the models but then never played with the end product, so it was all a 'one hit wonder'. I started off with the Friends sets for her, which she could pretty much make herself, and although she was copying the pictures and not being creative it was a really good skill to learn. I put it all out a few weeks ago and tried to encourage her to make something of her own design, which she did for a little while but hasn't got it out since. Creativity is her strong point and so I really thought she would enjoy lego. I used to love lego and so I can't bring myself to get rid of it as I think that as soon as I do she'll suddenly get into it. They even have a lego club at lunchtime at her school and some of her friends are mad for it.

It is so bloomin' expensive. Could you have a look on ebay for some general kits? Even the green bases are ridiculously priced.

Mouse
27-10-2015, 11:44 AM
I loved Lego when I was young, but my own children were never really into it, hence the reason we haven't really got any!

I'm going to keep my eyes on Ebay and local FB selling pages, although I imagine any cheap Lego is sold pretty quickly.

AliceK
27-10-2015, 12:21 PM
We have a huge box of Lego, collected over the years. The older children love it and even my 11yr old will sometimes sit and build with it. It's for all ages isn't it. I don't get it out too much recently as I have had too many little ones who are too young for it but I think it will be coming out again soon for 4yr olds +

xxx

Simona
27-10-2015, 12:31 PM
We have a huge box of Lego, collected over the years. The older children love it and even my 11yr old will sometimes sit and build with it. It's for all ages isn't it. I don't get it out too much recently as I have had too many little ones who are too young for it but I think it will be coming out again soon for 4yr olds +

xxx

Same here! Thousands of pieces including train tracks, doors, wheels!
Anyone close to me can have a look as it is for sale!

TinyTinker
27-10-2015, 01:47 PM
you can usually buy 2nd hand mixed bundles by the kilo on ebay - I did this ans just put it in a vat of dettol before we use it :) there was an assortment of bricks, wheels, people etc

BallyH
27-10-2015, 05:16 PM
My 3yr old lo's have recently gotten into lego. Lots of 'buildings' etc being made. I have a hugh box full. Harry Potter, teenage Mutant Turtle, skate boarding - loads of different sets mixed together. I did go to the lego shop, about a year ago, and buy some pink and purple blocks as there was a lack of those colours as it has all been inherited from my sons. I think lego is excellant for the lo's to play with the schoolies. They learn a lot from them. It makes me feel happy watching the children playing with my lego as my own children thoroughly enjoyed it.
Although my own children use to pull the bricks apart, sometimes, with their teeth. So I bought a brick separator from the lego shop - as didn't want any lo's choking.

FloraDora
27-10-2015, 05:20 PM
We could open a lego shop!
If only we lived closer Simona.
My DH and sons are big lego fans - comes from being a DT teacher and model maker I think.
DH has always continued to buy lego - he ran the school club, entertered competitionsetc.. We were there with all the other lego geeks on opening day of Legoland Windsor many years ago now!
He used to buy lego sets off the 6th formers who were alaways keen to get rid of before going off to Uni.
So...our loft has a lego end: all boxes stacked with instructions still in then a 2 big sets of drawers - each draw a seperate colour, speciality parts to themes: sea, space,city, cowboy, Harry Potter, Knights, emergency services to name a few...these are really non boxed that have been put in together for creative building. We have the technology sets too!
Every holiday DH picks a box and builds it...the children admire it...but as soon as they start to touch it and it breaks it's taken apart ...the boxed sets are really a model makers dream! One is always on his wish list...
He has however put together a box of mixed larger pieces bits for the 3to 5 year olds who never put things in their mouth...they are only occasionally made available..sometimes with Duplo as they fit....and they love it.....but I think DH inspires them like he used to do our lads...his enthusiasm means you want to join him. For christmas last year all the mindees gave him something lego linked. He has put together a few vehicles and super glued on the more vulnerable pieces for the younger children to access.
But I am a big fan of not introducing children too young to something.....and people under estimate duplo...I have seen year 6 -11 year olds being very creative with these bricks...and a few lego smaller ones, the problem is we wisk them away when we get to a certain age...and move them on to the next level just when they have become familiar with this level....
My year 6 technology club used to have all the construction kits from nursery and make fabulously creative things.

I find its generally me that gets a little tired of a construction kit...then I am not enthusing the LO's ...so they appear not to want to play with it..I put it away for a bit...then when it comes out ...all enthusiasm back...both me and the children!
But DH loves any, all the time, he would play all day with it if one of them is interested...except stickle bricks, his hate!
Our current favourite is Fisher Price Connex ...long stopped being made but they can make Octonaughts type vehicles and they don't have any at home so a winner...for now, before another one becomes the favourite. The best creativity comes from a mega session with just that here...so they all join in ....like an adult focussed, but I usually start and then sit back.
We clear a big space, put out a mat ( for eases of tidying up) and tip it all out so you can have a good rummage...

Mouse
27-10-2015, 06:05 PM
But I am a big fan of not introducing children too young to something.....and people under estimate duplo...I have seen year 6 -11 year olds being very creative with these bricks...and a few lego smaller ones, the problem is we wisk them away when we get to a certain age...and move them on to the next level just when they have become familiar with this level.....

I agree with that. I have a lot of Duplo and that has usually been enough for the children I've looked after (only up until school age). The children I look after now all seem to have mums and dads who are very much into their lego, which is why I think these children are ready to move on. They have free access to the Duplo and do play with it, but will usually be telling me about the sets they (or their parents) have got at home.

I'd be quite happy to get them proper lego. I know I'll play with it just as much as they do :D

FloraDora
27-10-2015, 07:54 PM
So have just re read last post I wrote and am appalled at my spelling mistakes- I can only blame fat fingers and a small keyboard ...except for drawer!! Sorry folks, it's been a long day, bought lots in Birmingham today so my fingers pressing buttons are worn out!!
I will write them all out several times to ensure I know the difference between draw and drawer!

Mouse
27-10-2015, 09:12 PM
So have just re read last post I wrote and am appalled at my spelling mistakes- I can only blame fat fingers and a small keyboard ...except for drawer!! Sorry folks, it's been a long day, bought lots in Birmingham today so my fingers pressing buttons are worn out!!
I will write them all out several times to ensure I know the difference between draw and drawer!

When I quoted part of your post I noticed it came up with a few words underlined in red. I did think that was unusual for you!

No excuse for the draw/drawer though ;):p

Mouse
27-10-2015, 09:14 PM
But it's just reminded me of a post I saw on our local selling site where someone was selling a "chester draws" :laughing:

Mouse
29-10-2015, 07:10 PM
I ended up buying a big box of lego that was delivered late yesterday. I told the children we'd open it today and they all came in so excited this morning!

When I opened the box the pieces were all sorted into bags of individual colours. My OCD heart did a little flip at the sight of the nicely sorted bags and for a brief moment I did wonder if I'd be able to get the children to keep the colours separated :laughing: I knew there was really no hope of that so just emptied all the pieces onto a mat on the floor.

The children (3 boys aged 3 & 4) played for almost 2 hours so I knew I'd made a good choice :thumbsup:

loocyloo
29-10-2015, 07:20 PM
I ended up buying a big box of lego that was delivered late yesterday. I told the children we'd open it today and they all came in so excited this morning!

When I opened the box the pieces were all sorted into bags of individual colours. My OCD heart did a little flip at the sight of the nicely sorted bags and for a brief moment I did wonder if I'd be able to get the children to keep the colours separated :laughing: I knew there was really no hope of that so just emptied all the pieces onto a mat on the floor.

The children (3 boys aged 3 & 4) played for almost 2 hours so I knew I'd made a good choice :thumbsup:

Yay!

Well done! I love lego ( and have been known to spend time sorting it into colours or even brick types! )

If you don't mind me asking ... How much did you pay for what quantity? I'm thinking I need some more.

Mind you .... I've just had a huge theme park and zoo made out of duplo by my 13 yr old!

Mouse
29-10-2015, 07:36 PM
I got this one

Buy LEGO Classic Large Creative Brick Box | John Lewis (http://www.johnlewis.com/lego-classic-large-creative-brick-box/p1689280?sku=233985020&kpid=233985020&s_kenid=de34dba9-d5f1-4133-9d6b-df6eb77ab15a&s_kwcid=403x1396026&tmad=c&tmcampid=73)

It was a couple of pounds cheaper from John Lewis than anywhere else I could see.

mumofone
29-10-2015, 07:38 PM
But it's just reminded me of a post I saw on our local selling site where someone was selling a "chester draws" :laughing:

No way?!!!

loocyloo
29-10-2015, 08:21 PM
I got this one

Buy LEGO Classic Large Creative Brick Box | John Lewis (http://www.johnlewis.com/lego-classic-large-creative-brick-box/p1689280?sku=233985020&kpid=233985020&s_kenid=de34dba9-d5f1-4133-9d6b-df6eb77ab15a&s_kwcid=403x1396026&tmad=c&tmcampid=73)

It was a couple of pounds cheaper from John Lewis than anywhere else I could see.

Nice looking box. Thank you x

bunyip
30-10-2015, 06:57 PM
Sadly, this LEGO Ad From 1981 Should Be Required Reading For Everyone Who Makes, Buys Or Sells Toys (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/17/lego-ad-1981_n_4617704.html) tell you everything you need to know about why I have fallen out with Lego. :(

Mouse
30-10-2015, 07:25 PM
Sadly, this LEGO Ad From 1981 Should Be Required Reading For Everyone Who Makes, Buys Or Sells Toys (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/17/lego-ad-1981_n_4617704.html) tell you everything you need to know about why I have fallen out with Lego. :(

That's why I ended up buying the 'classic' box of mixed colours and pieces. All of the sets seem completely aimed at boys or girls. I know girls would play just as happily with the 'boy' sets and boys just as happily with the 'girl' sets, but I didn't want pink or blue sets.

Do you remember the days when ELC used to pride itself on being gender neutral and not stocking pink for girls and blue for boys? How times change.

bunyip
30-10-2015, 07:36 PM
Do you remember the days when ELC used to pride itself on being gender neutral and not stocking pink for girls and blue for boys? How times change.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes................... now it's one wall pink and one wall blue, is it not? :angry:

kellib
30-10-2015, 10:33 PM
I ended up buying a big box of lego that was delivered late yesterday. I told the children we'd open it today and they all came in so excited this morning! When I opened the box the pieces were all sorted into bags of individual colours. My OCD heart did a little flip at the sight of the nicely sorted bags and for a brief moment I did wonder if I'd be able to get the children to keep the colours separated :laughing: I knew there was really no hope of that so just emptied all the pieces onto a mat on the floor. The children (3 boys aged 3 & 4) played for almost 2 hours so I knew I'd made a good choice :thumbsup:

You should live with my son, he has the coloured Lego storage blocks and spends hours separating all his Lego into the right coloured box!

Mouse
30-10-2015, 10:49 PM
You should live with my son, he has the coloured Lego storage blocks and spends hours separating all his Lego into the right coloured box!

Can I adopt him :D