PDA

View Full Version : Holiday's taken during term time

BallyH
23-10-2015, 06:11 PM
I've never taken holiday during term time. Mainly because my own children where at school. However, my husband is celebrating a big birthday next year and wants to go to the states for one week. Propably the first week in July. Wanted some advice as not sure now to approach this as I think the parents will be surprised. I'll have my 3 sons with me. One at Uni, 2nd will have finished A2's and 3rd son will miss a week off school. That in itself will raise a few eyebrows as I've never done it before and I think they'll be surprised. So, how do I tell them? What do I do with funded children? Payments etc? I've asked a few cm friends if they can help me and they said yes. Parents aren't aware yet. Why am I so nervous about telling them? We've not booked anything yet. Maybe it's all booked up and I won't have the worry! Plus, big fear of flying!!!

Maza
23-10-2015, 07:06 PM
I'm not sure what you will do about funded children as I don't have any experience of that, but go for it! If the parents have enough notice they can find someone to cover. I always go away during term time (but my mindees have always been pre-schoolers so it hasn't really affected them). It's lovely because not only is it MUCH cheaper it is also much quieter. Enjoy. x

Mouse
23-10-2015, 07:56 PM
How exciting!

With funded children in our LA you can either claim for one week less, or you offer parents an extra week during the non-funded periods (school holidays). When we put in our claims we say how many weeks we are claiming for, which is usually the number of weeks they're funding. If you have a week off, you'd just claim for one week less than that.

As for telling parents, you're giving them plenty of notice, so I wouldn't worry about it. As soon as your holiday is booked I would send them a letter notifying them of the dates you will be off. If they need to arrange alternative care, you can give them the names of other children, but as you are giving so much notice, it really isn't your responsibility to arrange cover for them.

Simona
24-10-2015, 08:39 AM
I've never taken holiday during term time. Mainly because my own children where at school. However, my husband is celebrating a big birthday next year and wants to go to the states for one week. Propably the first week in July. Wanted some advice as not sure now to approach this as I think the parents will be surprised. I'll have my 3 sons with me. One at Uni, 2nd will have finished A2's and 3rd son will miss a week off school. That in itself will raise a few eyebrows as I've never done it before and I think they'll be surprised. So, how do I tell them? What do I do with funded children? Payments etc? I've asked a few cm friends if they can help me and they said yes. Parents aren't aware yet. Why am I so nervous about telling them? We've not booked anything yet. Maybe it's all booked up and I won't have the worry! Plus, big fear of flying!!!

If your contract does not state when you take holidays and has no fixed dates for them...parents can only wish you well and will need to put their emergency plan in action when their cm is either ill or on a well deserved and earned rest!

Enjoy the holidays!

hectors house
24-10-2015, 08:10 PM
I've just booked flights to Canada for next May, one week is Whitsun holiday and the week after is term time - I will have one baby whose mum is a lecturer who comes 3 days a week, so she only needs 3 days of cover, one parent whose dad is a teacher, so they only need cover for 2 days and the rest of the parents don't work in education so they can either have the week after Whitsun off which won't be as expensive and if they choose not to take any holiday at least they have a bank holiday to help them out - I will be notifying parents this week, if they can't find their own childcare (with nearly 7 months notice) then I offer to try to help them by e-mailing other childminders in our network.

Regarding funding - I offer funding all year round not just term time so children's 570 hours are spread over the 48 weeks I'm available.

cathtee
24-10-2015, 08:47 PM
I don't know about funding as I don't do it, but I always take 2 weeks in term time in May, at the end of the day it's your business and you can choose when you take your holidays, I always give my dates out by January but saying that I have already told them next years already x

TinyTinker
25-10-2015, 12:23 PM
go for it!

we have just booked a weeks all inclusive holiday next year in june! basically a week after half term ends, lol. my then 10yo and 6yo will be missing 5 days off school! but they wouldn't be getting this holiday if not, because of how much it costs in school holidays and how much income we loose during school holidays! :blush:

one of my parents is taking her little girl of 6 to disney world in january 2 weeks after the christmas holidays - so don't think they'll be worried that we're doing the same later in the year, lol.