PDA

View Full Version : Taking on an assistant - idiots guide!

mumofone
21-10-2015, 11:58 AM
Where's the best place for me to start looking for information if I'm considering taking on an assistant? Thanks :-)

BallyH
21-10-2015, 12:38 PM
If you go into childcare.co you will find some information written by Sarah. Under 'childminding contracts' you will find a document called 'Assistant Contracts'. Hope this is some help to you.

mumofone
21-10-2015, 07:16 PM
If you go into childcare.co you will find some information written by Sarah. Under 'childminding contracts' you will find a document called 'Assistant Contracts'. Hope this is some help to you.

Oh damn my gold memberships expired so I can't access it now.

BallyH
21-10-2015, 07:34 PM
Oh damn my gold memberships expired so I can't access it now.

I don't have gold membership and I can access it! There are a lot of documents that I can access.

Simona
21-10-2015, 07:46 PM
An 'employee' will need a Contract of Employment, a Job Description, an Induction programme and Self appraisal sessions on a regular basis
As an employer you also need to apply for PAYE to HMRC....good luck!

Rick
21-10-2015, 08:09 PM
This may help....http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/registered-assistants-co-minders/123401-my-journey-get-assistant.html

mumofone
21-10-2015, 08:12 PM
Just wondering what kind of person applies to be an assistant? Dyou think another mum looking for a tiny bit of extra cash would do it?

BallyH
21-10-2015, 08:16 PM
Hopefully someone with childcare experience, maybe even an ex childminder who doesn't want the 'hassle' in her home. But I think they'll expect more than a little bit of cash. I have thought about it but don't know how people can afford to employ someone. I'd be making hardly anything for an extra 3 kids and an adult in my house.

Simona
21-10-2015, 08:19 PM
This may help....http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/registered-assistants-co-minders/123401-my-journey-get-assistant.html

Good sharing Rick...I see Bluebell was referring to PAYE and all the bits that go with becoming an employer!
I suppose it will come under the new CIF too...Leadership and Management,, Appraisals and Induction!
somewhere I still have all those docs filed away!

It's a long road but we can get there in the end and today doing wages is so much easier with all the online packages available...I used to do them by hand :eek: even with all the HMRC guidance it was a long task!!

sarah707
22-10-2015, 06:42 AM
I have written lots of free information for Childcare.co.uk as well as the gold member documents... there is an assistant one here - http://www.childcare.co.uk/information/childminder-plus

I have also written assistant guidance on the Independent Childminders website here - Independent Childminders - Welcome! (http://independentchildminders.weebly.com/).

I hope it helps! :D

Simona
22-10-2015, 09:00 AM
Sarah....I am sure it is all very helpful ...especially because so many policies/laws have changed on being an employee or being an employer....sometimes it is hard to keep up

I am sure the basics have not changed but the biggest issue is having to contribute towards a pension for the employees...paying their Tax and NI...pensions were not something required to do when I was an employer
it is a big commitment and responsibility
In addition sick pay has now changed and employers are not able to claim this back...it will make a huge difference to expenses.

In reply to Mumofone question...sorry I missed it...who knows who will apply to become a CM.

Over 30 years ago a few women got together and started childminding...to earn 'pin money'...today we are seen as 'professionals' and running small businesses and so many have changed their mind about Cms and what we do.

As a potential employer you will need to vet any applicants...DBs and also on the safeguarding side...train them and commit to a contract of employment.

Not sure what you envisage to be 'a tiny bit of extra cash'?
for an applicant her earnings with you maybe their main income...so pin money will not be what they are looking for...or are you thinking of something else? whatever you pay will need to be declared to HMRC

you also need to consider whether you want the assistant to work regular hours ...or turn up just when you need an extra pair of hands...would you give her a 'Zero hours contract'?

From what I read many cms employ assistants on a regular basis and intend to grow their business...good for the future and the 30 dreaded hours.....others seem to give the impression they want an assistant to turn up as and when needed...not sure it is as simple as that or even possible?

Good luck to anyone looking to expand and employ an assistant ...just keep updated with all the Employment Legislation on Gov.UK.