PDA

View Full Version : How much would you put through on expenses?

natlou82
20-10-2015, 05:37 PM
I have just bought a second hand table and chairs for £100 and wondering how much I can put through as expenses. I need a table and chairs for my business as I provide all meals and I am busy every night with after school children. My children and myself also use the table daily. Do you think it would be OK to put through half?

mumofone
20-10-2015, 06:27 PM
I have just bought a second hand table and chairs for £100 and wondering how much I can put through as expenses. I need a table and chairs for my business as I provide all meals and I am busy every night with after school children. My children and myself also use the table daily. Do you think it would be OK to put through half?

Why can't you put through all?

FloraDora
20-10-2015, 06:45 PM
If it's a child size then yes. But if it's a family dining table then I think you would have difficulty ....it's like a sofa really, you are buying furniture for your home that the children in your care are using surely? If the table is just in a children's room - only used by business children then maybe you would be able to swing it?

Simona
20-10-2015, 07:02 PM

For me 50% without hesitation....even if it is an adult sized table...some children cannot sit on child sized furniture

natlou82
20-10-2015, 07:15 PM
Thanks, it is in the playroom and a big part of my business tbh as I do activities with the older children at it as well as serving them all dinner. My husband works shifts and hardly ever sits at the table, so I suppose my argument would be that if it was just for family use I would have bought a smaller table and only 4 chairs (I need six chairs to seat mindees).

FloraDora
20-10-2015, 08:01 PM
If it's in the playroom - surely it is solely for business therefore can all be claimed?

natlou82
20-10-2015, 08:37 PM
Mmm...gonna give this some thought!

hectors house
21-10-2015, 07:35 AM
It's always confusing what to claim for things that are bought primarily for childminding but may very occasionally be used by us or our family eg: my husband built me an undercover play area last year so children can play out when it's raining and access sandpit, blackboards, wooden building bricks etc - we wouldn't have built this costing over £1500 if I hadn't childminded but the tax rules say that because it is permanently attached to my house that I can't claim for it - I have however put 50% through last years accounts - I could in theory put a clothes airer under it or have a BBQ on a wet weekend with family & friends but I haven't done so far.

Simona
21-10-2015, 08:32 AM
I believe that there are very clear guidelines on what we can claim when we run a business from home...even when what we buy is shared for personal use.

Fortunately I have very good accountants who know about home based businesses and all the ins and outs of self employment....they are worth every penny
Every year we go through the 'resources' and 'equipment' purchased for the business and the private use....the limit of cost price when an item goes specifically on the Tax Form.

CMs are not experts and from what I read Cms could do with some real good training on this....my understanding from 20+ years of childcare is that if an item is bought and used for children/own use it can be claimed but I leave that to those who know.

It is about time we had a HMRC review on our businesses...the current ones were worked out 35 years ago....so much has changed and so much can go unclaimed!
Oh...and the same goes for when we redecorate our homes....worth finding out!

hectors house
23-10-2015, 10:20 AM
I believe that there are very clear guidelines on what we can claim when we run a business from home...even when what we buy is shared for personal use.

Fortunately I have very good accountants who know about home based businesses and all the ins and outs of self employment....they are worth every penny
Every year we go through the 'resources' and 'equipment' purchased for the business and the private use....the limit of cost price when an item goes specifically on the Tax Form.

CMs are not experts and from what I read Cms could do with some real good training on this....my understanding from 20+ years of childcare is that if an item is bought and used for children/own use it can be claimed but I leave that to those who know.

It is about time we had a HMRC review on our businesses...the current ones were worked out 35 years ago....so much has changed and so much can go unclaimed!
Oh...and the same goes for when we redecorate our homes....worth finding out!

Surely wear and tear should cover redecorating?